Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Oh goodie TWS im looking forward to plenty of light-heavy frequent snow showers! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Looks like a big shower on the way here, very black to my east with some nice cloud formations. Almost looks like a summer thunderstorm approaching.

Posted

I don't like these showery set ups because sometimes the snow doesn't get going properly and we end up with hardly owt.

Anyhow, currently 2.1º and just had a sleety mix through.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Regarding those 24-36 hour showery setups you have a very good point- however in a showery setup that persists for a few days, it's rare that parts of the region end up with hardly anything as the distribution of showers tends to even itself out over time. For example, 27-29 December 2005- I have very fond memories of that one, and on that occasion the showers only persisted for two days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Regarding those 24-36 hour showery setups you have a very good point- however in a showery setup that persists for a few days, it's rare that parts of the region end up with hardly anything as the distribution of showers tends to even itself out over time. For example, 27-29 December 2005- I have very fond memories of that one, and on that occasion the showers only persisted for two days.

That was probably my favourite cold snap, 6 inches of snow here whilst 2 miles down the road there was just 3 :)

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Pretty intense hail at the moment turning everything white again, falling onto frozen surfaces, gonna make travelling quite treacherous especially inland. Hail getting bigger almost like a summerstorm that one...!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Pretty intense hail at the moment turning everything white again, falling onto frozen surfaces, gonna make travelling quite treacherous especially inland. Hail getting bigger almost like a summerstorm that one...!!!

It's arrived here, I was waiting for hail battering the window but it's actually snow this time.

EDIT: Rain in Consett? Surely you'll get snow soon if i'm getting it.

Posted

It's arrived here, I was waiting for hail battering the window but it's actually snow this time.

EDIT: Rain in Consett? Surely you'll get snow soon if i'm getting it.

the way things are going of late Mark i'm now a lampost watcher lol.

had some heavy snow earlier but the radar just showed sleet.i'm waiting for thursday night mate.

Posted

Plenty of showers here today of hail sleet and snow,that heavy hail makes the roads quite tricky.

Looking good for the rest of the week with showers becoming heavier and more wintry with frost again at night.

Posted

heavy hail here in south gosforth

quite warm though (relativly) 2.9oC / 1.8oC dp

Edited by izi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Showers have been impressive in their unerring dodging of Cleadon over the last two hours but there's another batch out in the North Sea according to the radar. Not that they'd deliver any snow (currently 4.5C), but a good gush of hailstones would provide a bit of excitement.

Posted

A good dusting of hail / graupel out there after a dramatic shower half an hour ago. Feels cold, 2.5ºC.

Posted

Showers have been impressive in their unerring dodging of Cleadon over the last two hours but there's another batch out in the North Sea according to the radar. Not that they'd deliver any snow (currently 4.5C), but a good gush of hailstones would provide a bit of excitement.

Yep, same here, i don't think i had any hail here but tbh i never really checked however certainly no signs of hail around here so it would suggest to me that i dodged that shower.

Hopefully as you say, those showers can hit us with some good old hail, if you can't have snow, let it hail instead!

Posted

temperature is creaping up here, 3.1oC.

so much ice outside, it either needs to thaw or snow over because i keep nearly going bum over tit out there.

Edited by izi

Posted

Heavyish shower headed straight for Cleadon but then developed a tiny gap in the middle- and Cleadon found the gap, so still no showers!

Posted

is cleadon near boldon?

Yes it is, roughly half way between Boldon and the Coast. Put Cleadon into Google Maps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Very Heavy hail here. So heavy a few people in my street were looking out of their windows wondering what the noise was. Temp 1.9c