Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell 9

Methuselah

I can't really say why you are getting rain, but there could be a number of reasons.

-The PPN may not be heavy enough

-On low ground

-The cold air will be filtering down from the north so it will take it's time to reach you, as Leeds is further north were likely to see this first.

What is your temp?

no idea mate but im not low ground im 650ft,around 190m.

:wallbash:

Posted

no idea mate but im not low ground im 650ft,around 190m.

smile.gif

Your probably under very light PPN, I'm under very light PPN but it is falling as wet snow here, but I'm a bit further north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!

looking at the way the radar on bbc runs up we're in a 30-40 mile 'finger' of rain/sleet - so not much for us except slodge really; unless this closes we're only going to see rain/sleet as the fronts dont seem to want to do much apart from dance around eachother over the top of us. Leeds to Hx postcodes seem to get ppn as snow , and west of us same. Not expecting owt now, so if anything arrives by morning it'll be a bonus. given up lp watch for now; beans on toast, tea and transformers for me an the kids now methinks.

Posted

its becoming a tad annoying now.We have snow to our north and snow to our south.

Why are we seeing rain?

It's dragging on a bit now I have to agree!

Would you believe that the temperature has actually risen here to 2.0c from 1.9c!sad.gif

Must be under an area of thicker cloud - although if that means soon-to-be heavier precipitation, hopefully the temperature will take a dive again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Proper heavy snow here in oldham !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Temp is slowly dropping here - down to 2.2c!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Snow! finally! well just about.:crazy:

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Guys

Turn to the liverpool game , it's snowing!!!

Looks nice too :drunk::drunk::crazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Now snowing quite hard in Bacup but still not wanting to stick, other than to the cars.

That said though i wouldn't be surprised if 200ft higher up the hill, the road is covered by now.

Temperature is falling again and is currently 0.7'c.

Still feel that any more than a dusting will be a surprise but given the severe weather warnings currently in place, it may turn out that MetO are not just covering their backs here.

Ian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

A horrible mix of rain and sleet here eugh.

Snow falling and settlingin parts of Flintshire though

Posted

If you have Netw radar, check out M45, i'm surrounded by PPTN but drizzle and nothing here haha!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

If you have Netw radar, check out M45, i'm surrounded by PPTN but drizzle and nothing here haha!

likewise, just rain here.saw the odd flake earlier only briefly!!not to worry

Posted

thats why i use raintoday radar it just seems accurate to me

the dam line will sink further south overnight, as the front gets its skates on to the south. The snow your seeing now should really have occured early afternoon it didn't. We had a stalling front over n wales.

I can't see the rain here actually moving out of the way quick enough for the precip and temp drops before the snow arrives. Remember guys this stuff is appearing to south and north of us on Higher ground maybe 2/300ft, a lot of places are seeing rain at lower elevations such as sea level

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

snowing now, not sure if it is sleet actually but it's floating about past the lamp post.will it last, probably not.prob turn to rain again.

hotcuppa yeah its a great free tool.ps heavy snow now :yahoo:

it seems as soon as my dew point hit 0.7 it changed.was heavy rain at 0.8 lol

Edited by swainclubber

Posted

I would also like to add that places like Cumbria are directly under an easterly, the snow to the south of them is not affecting them , its the snow thats being blown in from the east. Clear demarcation line from what I can see using the terrain features of the raintoday radar, you can clearly see that line where much of the north west upto about northern yorkshire is under this sw influence yet get to about newcastles -> cumbria they are under the unfluence of the easterly.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Hi HotCuppa when you said the dam line moving further south does that mean that colder air is going to move in and therefore temps and dps will drop? Also what is your temp and dp currently and has it been falling? Should we expect a possible transition of ppn to snow overnight what have you got now is it sleet like some others are reporting for example on the midlands forums some have been reporting a repid transition from rain/sleet to heavy snow what do you think the next few days will bring?

Luke

Posted

Nothing but rain/sleet here in stoke, but it's not heavy enough to be anything else. Talking to the driver of the Hanley-Leek bus on the way home, he said it was white over at Cellerhead, which is at about 900ft but the precip just isn't heavy enough without elevation.

Nothing but rain/sleet here in stoke, but it's not heavy enough to be anything else. Talking to the driver of the Hanley-Leek bus on the way home, he said it was white over at Cellerhead, which is at about 900ft but the precip just isn't heavy enough without elevation.

hi dave,

just turned to snow here but its dreadfully wet out there.We desperately need this front to pep up or its game over,for now.

Posted

hi dave,

just turned to snow here but its dreadfully wet out there.We desperately need this front to pep up or its game over,for now.

Not much sign of that from the radar HD. We've been caught out again. The precip was heavy enough when it was further South, where it wasn't cold enough, now it's further North where it's cold enough, but not heavy enough!

I suppose somewhere up a mountain in mid-Wales mmight have 20cm but I can't see it happening anywhere in this area.