Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell 9

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!

I told my wife she was imagining it - it was frost!

Seriously though looking at the latest 06z GFS I cant see any snow in this area until possibly this time next week.

Obviously a lot can change before then.

hey Bartlett, i was out with my hens when it was falling, an frost sure dont fall like dat! I'm over by the water park, next to the river, if this makes any odds, was very light but it certainly made it's way down the back of my dressing gown while I were feedin the girls and getting my eggs for breakfast lol. thought I was imagining it too - sleepy eyes an all that - til I got out there...it was about 6.30 this morning. didnt look again for a couple of hours after that, which was when I noticed it had settled a bit...

Agog with the prospect of more snow here - the kids are now sick of it... :cc_confused:

'because there's no such thing as a Bartlett High...

Posted

oops sorry chap not very agile with this computer thing...the reply quote thing went a tad awry there...back to the tutorial board again lol

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Do we have any updates from the Manchester area, looks as if precipitation is just reaching you??

Posted

Do we have any updates from the Manchester area, looks as if precipitation is just reaching you??

yep, clouding over nicely but looks more like incoming liquids than solids from ere in m21. i have a good long view southwards from ere too, sooo.....fingers crossed...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

1.59pm - meto just issued flash warning for whole of the NW!!

http://www.meto.gov.uk/weather/uk/nw/nw_forecast_warnings.html

I'm not convinced this thing is going to reach us. It looks like it will stall to me but then what do I know?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

http://www.meto.gov....t_warnings.html

I'm not convinced this thing is going to reach us. It looks like it will stall to me but then what do I know?

Just seen that LOL why are we under an orenge band for Heavy snow

Have the METO under estimated this are we now going to see a snow event?

Or are we just been teased again LOL?

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

C.S

Hi CS - I think it's going to be a classic case of radar/sky/lampost watching and nowcasting!! Of course if I've got a temp of 4c and a DP of 2C I'll just relax and forget about it! A flash warning does mean 80%+ confidence so let's wait and see! To answer your question - yes - a major tease!

Posted

C.S

Hey hey C.S

You beat me to it bud...I certainly hope we arnt being teased...it does apply for after 4pm...maybe its progged to push further north???

C.G

Posted

http://www.meto.gov.uk/weather/uk/nw/nw_forecast_warnings.html

You just beat me to it. The PPN will have to be a lot heavier to cool things down enough for snow here.

Posted

The PPN will have to be a lot heavier to cool things down enough for snow here.

Totally agree, obviously with it being after dark things will be cooler, but not necessarily enough to help. I'm not getting over-excited, especially for any marginal areas. I just can't see it being cold enough.

Posted

You just beat me to it. The PPN will have to be a lot heavier to cool things down enough for snow here.

Have you not seen the growing, intensifying band?? Its getting heavier as it hits wales!?

Posted

Light rain/sleet here in Stoke. The flakes are a little more noticeable in the slightly heavier bursts, but the precip needs to be much heavier before it becomes snow. This first band doesn't look much & I'm hoping the heavier stuff further south will push up here later.

Posted

The whole of the north-west except Cumbria I think you mean. Don't forget there is a pretty huge expanse of land to the north of Preston!

Not that I'm bothered. Today's seen the greatest snow loss, with temperature now at 1.8º, but a low dew point of 0.5º. However, we've still got snow covering almost everywhere, as this view from my back garden shows...

post-717-12620968740813_thumb.jpg

Edited by Osbourne One-Nil

Light rain/sleet here in Stoke. The flakes are a little more noticeable in the slightly heavier bursts, but the precip needs to be much heavier before it becomes snow. This first band doesn't look much & I'm hoping the heavier stuff further south will push up here later.

any thoughts on that meto flash warning?

It goes against the bbc forecasts?

probably just a back covering exercise,surely?

Posted

The weather forecast (bbc24) I watched at 12:30pm showed some rain reaching our region with hill snow. The this fizzles out during the day tomorrow.

Unless something changed since 12:30, I can't see what would make them give us this flash warning.

I don't think the precipitation will be heavy enough when it gets here and I doubt it will be of snow apart from hilly locations. Currently, I have 4c here and the last remaining snow/ice is slowly melting!

I hope I'm wrong!

Karyo

Posted

Have you not seen the growing, intensifying band?? Its getting heavier as it hits wales!?

Yes but the question is will this continue as it goes n/ne? If Wales was flat we might be quids in, but there's a long way to go yet.

The weather forecast (bbc24) I watched at 12:30pm showed some rain reaching our region with hill snow. The this fizzles out during the day tomorrow.

Unless something changed since 12:30, I can't see what would make them give us this flash warning.

I don't think the precipitation will be heavy enough when it gets here and I doubt it will be of snow apart from hilly locations. Currently, I have 4c here and the last remaining snow/ice is slowly melting!

I hope I'm wrong!

Karyo

probably just covering their backs mate.

IF that band kept its intensity elevated areas might get something reasonable but i just cant see 5 to 10cm widely.

bizarre update from the meto,like i said they are covering their backs

if i get 10cm from this i'll plat sawdust! :):)

Posted

The whole of the north-west except Cumbria I think you mean. Don't forget there is a pretty huge expanse of land to the north of Preston!

Not that I'm bothered. Today's seen the greatest snow loss, with temperature now at 1.8º, but a low dew point of 0.5º. However, we've still got snow covering almost everywhere, as this view from my back garden shows...

post-717-12620968740813_thumb.jpg

Apologies, OON! :) I promise I won't do it again! It's not going to give 5-10cm widely anyway. Back-covering methinks.

Edited by snowdrifter

Posted

Totally agree, obviously with it being after dark things will be cooler, but not necessarily enough to help. I'm not getting over-excited, especially for any marginal areas. I just can't see it being cold enough.

This evenings plans are now:-

1.Beer

2.Lights off - lamppost in view

3.Footy on the box

4.Occassional radar viewing

I love being off work !! :drinks::drinks:

Posted

Yes but the question is will this continue as it goes n/ne? If Wales was flat we might be quids in, but there's a long way to go yet.

Fair enough and a good point...i find it hard to understand why meto have issused this...its not like its aimed soley for high ground either...time will tell I presume

CG

Posted

Apologies, OON! oops.gif I promise I won't do it again!

Hee hee - don't worry! I'm a rancid old sod and have many chips on my shoulder! I also note you're a Plymouth fan, so my thoughts and prayers are with you as we head into the 2nd haf of the season. Edited by Osbourne One-Nil

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

The main band of precipitation across Wales is now intensifying and continue to move slowly NE wards. A good chance it will stall by Mid Evening as starts to run into the colder upper air over Northern England. The East wind should also start to pick up a ahead of this front. Expect some snowfall soon in the Southern Pennines and maybe sleet or wet snow at lower levels as the evening progresses.

C