Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell 9

Methuselah

Posted

again excuse my ignorance but surly the only concern (particularly for those inland) is will the front move north...temps tonight will inevitably be cold enough (this time last nigh night my temps city centre were 3.5 same now last nights low -0.5 I expect the same hopefully lower tonight)

I am a complete novice at this and I dont know anything about the likelyhood of the front stalling...but if it does hit tonight it will surely be snow

Posted

Temp down to 0.7oC really blizzarding now and begining to show signs of sticking on the ground, which is pretty wet at present. Think we should have a nice covering over next few hours ;o)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Temp down to 0.7oC really blizzarding now and begining to show signs of sticking on the ground, which is pretty wet at present. Think we should have a nice covering over next few hours ;o)

Its just starting to reach me now, the sleet is turning more and more flakey now. considering the sleet and icey rain was sticking, this could be good :D.

Is it decent size flakes there ( a stones throw away) ? becuase its staying pretty much fine flakes and graupel her. Mind you the temp has stabilised but is just starting to topple off a bit again.

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

West midlands starting to get Snow now do it looks like a Rain to Snow event unless you have

Some altitude

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

What about for Macclesfield? we have Rain at mo so i doubt we will see any Snow here tonight.

How high is Macclesfield Town anyway?

according to Macclesfield.gov.uk the eastern side of town is 370m asl ... much higher than me lol.

Personally I dont think this is actually a blizzard .. visabillity is still relatively good and at this rate it will take 24 hrs to leave even a cm :D

Edit - temp still dropping and the snow is changing increasingly from graupel to flakes now. Amazingly, the paths and roads are dusting over and still no signs of any gritters. Wonder if oldham council have run out of salt ? heres hoping .

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Heavy sleet atm, seems to be right on the borderline for snow though with lots of flakes coming down, if only I was just a little bit higher! lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!

bah humbug rain here!! :D

hey ho, we had lots last week, so I guess I shouldn't be greedy about it...temp seems to have dropped and then risen a bit here too so I wont be surprised if it stays as rain/sleet. Hoping for next week to produce more snow. Kids back at school so I can play out in it in peace :D

Posted

Hi,

I did notice a BBC weather forecast that had a band of snow across Northern England including my area on New Years Eve - white new year anyone? do you see it coming off? By the way we did have a "White" new year in Liverpool in 1997 - does anyone remember that with snow falling on new years eve/day? Was that caused by an Easterly or a Northerly? And also do you know when their was last a White Christmas in Liverpool - I do defiantly remember it snowing on Christmas Day relatively recently (within the last 15 years) but I cannot remember what year it was does anyone know?

Also, now onto the possibility of snow for tonight is thier a possibly that the rain will transition to snow later on in my area and if not will thier be some more snow opportunities over the next week or so? I would think that thier could be quite a few chances considering it is going to get colder and in these situations is it true that the possibility of snow can pop up at short notice?

A final question, does anyone know if a "Polar Low" has ever brought snow too my area?

Luke

Posted

Heavy sleet atm, seems to be right on the borderline for snow though with lots of flakes coming down, if only I was just a little bit higher! lol

What's the altitude for your location James?

I am a little concerned in that temp. appears to have stabilized here for now at 2.1c. I live at around 650ft asl - perhaps just a fraction higher - proper snow seems to be a fair way off yet.

Clearly those in a more elevated position have a much better chance as you say.

Posted

Hi,

I did notice a BBC weather forecast that had a band of snow across Northern England including my area on New Years Eve - white new year anyone? do you see it coming off? By the way we did have a "White" new year in Liverpool in 1997 - does anyone remember that with snow falling on new years eve/day? Was that caused by an Easterly or a Northerly? And also do you know when their was last a White Christmas in Liverpool - I do defiantly remember it snowing on Christmas Day relatively recently (within the last 15 years) but I cannot remember what year it was does anyone know?

Also, now onto the possibility of snow for tonight is thier a possibly that the rain will transition to snow later on in my area and if not will thier be some more snow opportunities over the next week or so? I would think that thier could be quite a few chances considering it is going to get colder and in these situations is it true that the possibility of snow can pop up at short notice?

A final question, does anyone know if a "Polar Low" has ever brought snow too my area?

Luke

glad you brought Dec 31 2006 up becuase after looking at the chart archive it does show easterlies can bare the good for the NW, which is something I pointed out yesterday i think :

Rrea00119961231.gif

Posted
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool

Still got rain here in liverpool ,40 mins till i head of home up the m6 might have some white stuff by then up ther.

Posted

Rain here at the mo but it wouldn't take much to turn to sleet/snow. Driving before and there were splatters of ice in the rain going all over the windscreen.

Edited by shaun l

Posted

Nothing but rain here.

Looks like only a few higher locations in Pennines getting any snow (Rossendale, Saddleworth etc). Precipiation has made it this far north though, and is still moving northward according to the radar, so there is still hope for snow levels to fall a bit maybe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

What's the altitude for your location James?

I am a little concerned in that temp. appears to have stabilized here for now at 2.1c. I live at around 650ft asl - perhaps just a fraction higher - proper snow seems to be a fair way off yet.

Clearly those in a more elevated position have a much better chance as you say.

Around 215m, so not that much higher than you, perhaps we're under slightly heavier precip? Having said that it's got a little lighter now.