Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 9

Methuselah

Posted

You know, there's more snow falling out of these North Sea streamers than there is in this supposed "mega-snow event" which has captivated so many on here the last few days! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Very true, just wait until that strong NE wind starts pushing over the warm North Sea - heavy snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

So a long night of curtain twitching radar watching ahead for you LS??!! smile.gifsmile.gif

I know it is just coincidence but has anyone else picked up on the Dec 81-Dec 95-Dec 09 14 years between good cold spells sequence??? rofl.gif

Very much so, CMD. Still going moderately here, pretty big flakes too. That's a bit of a trend, I suppose, bit I always though the Hale winter sequence worked better - some people claimed that last year was the Hale winter while others claim it's this one, and I'm starting to agree with those who think it is the latter!

This spell is really something - I've lost count of the number of evenings I've spent radar watching this month, but I reckon it's at least 10. And still the snow falls and the cold bites, with no end in sight. This must be how the first week of '63 felt. Lamp-post watching just got a bit annoying by the way - incredibly small soft hail which looks just like rain to the untrained lamp post made me go out in the freezing cold only to discover to my relief that it was, in fact, soft hail.

You know, there's more snow falling out of these North Sea streamers than there is in this supposed "mega-snow event" which has captivated so many on here the last few days! :)

As NorthernRab correctly says in the post below yours, just wait until the wind kicks in overnight and into tomorrow. Then we will see proper streamers off the North Sea. Reams of streamers.

:) :) :)

Posted

Love the reading from K5 buoy way out in the Atlantic (XC weather) 4c / DP -6c :clap::cold:

Snowing here at last, quite heavy and coming in at 45 degree angle :yahoo:

You're right! Just looked out the window and eye-balled the lampost. 45 degree angle for sure :lol:

Posted

confusing precip here, a mixture of big snow flakes, wet snowflakes and hail!!! Anyone know where i can get an accurate temp reading for portlethen?

Edited by yeahbabyyeah

Posted
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)

Snow is really coming down now, i really thought we would have sleet, but no!!! its heavy snow.:yahoo::yahoo::clap::lol::cold:

Edited by amanda_langlands

Posted

confusing precip here, a mixture of big snow flakes, wet snowflakes and hail!!! Anyone know where i can get an accurate temp reading for portlethen?

Not sure, but looking at the webcam by Charleston flyover and the conditions here a few minutes ago there was a mix of graupel (soft hail) and snow falling (mainly the latter) here. The temperature increase is probably to do with the wind and cloud cover increases. Hopefully it will stay cold enough, the ground certainly is!

Posted

Currently -10c here and a bit cloudy with a max of -3c today. Must have had about 6 ice days in December now this year unbeliveable!!!!

Posted

Huge big fat juicy flakes. lol need to calm down kids think im nuts!!!:yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Snow is really coming down now, i really thought we would have sleet, but no!!! its heavy snow.yahoo.gif:yahoo:yahoo.gifclap.gif:clap:

Good for you Amanda! Hope you continue to send some of those showers down our way. I do wonder how bad things will get tomorrow with a proper ENEsterly setting in - I have a real feeling that the Met Office have been out-forecasting once again by a bunch of anoraks on a weather forum, which does make you wonder if they are actually trying or not. Never mind - convection to our northeast pepping up, a fresh cm or two on the ground already and about 8 inches of snow/ice from a spell of out of the blue and exciting snow events - what more could a snow addicted 15 year old ask for?drinks.gif

LS

Posted

Hopefully the gapping hole left while constructing my igloo will get replenished.

Temp just holding below freezing and still snowing, could be a very long night.

CMD Ice medal for Mr Tall indeed

This streamer is a good 'un. Entire sky has that "orange" tinge to it, with snow falling heavily.

Streamer is so good it is showing on my postcode zoom....a few flakes later on for this far west?? Maybe not off that shower, but maybe later, once the wind actually gets up :yahoo::clap::)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Equivalent of a monsoon in hail here just now - noisy!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

It's off here now and heading your way CMD. Plenty more to come; there's a few streamers about to enter the Firth of Forth getting carried along with the strong winds.

Interesting - lets see what we get ???!!

Still saying on 10 news that the Hogamanay bash in Edinburgh will be ok - with them remaining upbeat about the projected weather!

It's off here now and heading your way CMD. Plenty more to come; there's a few streamers about to enter the Firth of Forth getting carried along with the strong winds.

30 miles to go over land, I think not!!! Although this is just the invitation to the main events tomorrow :D:) :)

Posted

Odd, suddenly a streamer to our north, and one to our south, but hardly anything here! Plenty of time for those a bit further north to push south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

-15.4'C in the garden!

Could our Invernessian friend a bit further up in Milton of Leyes tell me what's happening cloud wise? There's not a breath of wind here and a huge bright white ring around the moon, it's warmer down at the coast with a positively roasting -11'C.