Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 9

Methuselah

Posted

Snowing yet again here in Cumbernauld and with the wind it's really blowing around (this is 1 hell of a vintage spell of weather that I am never going to forget in a hurry)

-15.4'C in the garden!

Could our Invernessian friend a bit further up in Milton of Leyes tell me what's happening cloud wise? There's not a breath of wind here and a huge bright white ring around the moon, it's warmer down at the coast with a positively roasting -11'C.

Funny you say that about the halo round the moon, we had that here earlier this evening, for about 3 hours. Is it the really wide halo, say if the moon was the size of a tennis ball then the halo is about 10m wide??? It was quite a sight! :) :) :)

CMD - It will make the 29.8 miles easily from here, then vanish just before you nowhere! :)

No, it will deposit one single flake, right on the end of my nose when I'm peering out the bathroom window at the lamp post.

What speed is that shower moving at?? :):):D

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Huge big fat juicy flakes. lol need to calm down kids think im nuts!!!:yahoo:

Yes, I've just walked through the city centre and the new snow is lying easily everywhere there is no salt. So far then, no problems even at sea level! The showers are getting heavier and, like Mondy says, the sky is starting to take on that 'east-coast-snow-event' look. We'll see what tomorrow brings but even if it goes a few degrees above during the day, you usually gain more than you lose in these situations!

Edited by su rui ke

Posted

-15.4'C in the garden!

Could our Invernessian friend a bit further up in Milton of Leyes tell me what's happening cloud wise? There's not a breath of wind here and a huge bright white ring around the moon, it's warmer down at the coast with a positively roasting -11'C.

Fantastic - you have a Moon Halo - great to see when they occur: http://www.spaceweather.com/ (scroll down a little)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Not having much luck here at the moment. Showers either to the north or south of Fife. Hardly any wind either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Yes, finally managed to track another heavy snow shower after it being dry for about an hour and a half.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

CatchMyDrift - aye! It's a huge in comparison to the moon!

Mondy - Cheers for that, very nice looking feature, very much adding to the rarity of this spell :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Hogmanay at home in the comfort of my own home this year -

absolutely zero point in going out in that weather.

What does everyone think -10 and snow?? or just -10??

I'll lower your temp and raise your snow. -7C and the odd flurry of snow :whistling:

Certainly no point in going out, unless you like being very cold. Stay in with a cargo and the heating on at full bung.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The wind will pick up overnight, it is already getting a little breezy down here, the wind field will move north quite soon:

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Good. Hopefully it will blow all those convection showers a bit further south overnight. ENEsterly is still our best direction, which is why I think tomorrow morning right through to Hogmanay will be very special for those of us in Fife.

-6C with heavy snow streamers across eastern areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I went for a walk at about 8 and had the huge moon halo too, almost needed shades it was so bright :wacko: Anyway, a steady -3.5 here for a few hours now, no ppn anywhere near but maybe manana.. :lol:

Posted

I see things not going according to plan in the South, and the Welsh bemoaning the Metoffice. :wacko:

We just jealous envious etc etc lol.Scots you lucky bu--ars. Edited by keithlucky

CMD - It will make the 29.8 miles easily from here, then vanish just before you nowhere! :wacko:

Just had a very slight shower of soft hail. A few lumps have landed on and stayed upon the neighbours' cars :lol: :wacko: :shok::shok::shok: :wacko: :blink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wacko:

From an easterly which is only just getting going. I seriously am gobsmacked. Utterly amazing.

Posted

Evening guys,

On the subjet of Easterlies, I remember the 87 spell which dumped a lot of deep powdery snow on Fife and Lothian in particular but even Glasgow got several inches such was the intensity of the Easterly. Obviously the uppers were much lower during that spell but the showers and prolonged spells of snow made it all the way west !

Here's to another strong Easterly drinks.gif

Posted

we have just been out in the garden here ,as i went out for a ciggie and the clouds are doing odd things cookie could probably explain it better than me there is a halo around the moon ,but the clouds really high up ,are streaking across the sky ,thin band can see stars though it ,and there seemed to be other clouds moving in a differnt direction ,everyone came out to look as it almost looked like the northern lights ,we were wondering about ice cristals ,everybody here hasn't seen a sky like it ,the pics we took haven't come out :wacko:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

a new fresh 2inch covering of snow down here which should help cover the 5inch thick of ice thats on our pavements closedeyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

<BEGIN_WHINGE>

Starting to capitulate here on the south side of The Forth Estuary at Leith-sur-mer. Streets awash with slush and melt...airport reporting 3c and rain. Communal tenament back gardens still holding onto it but with the steady nor-easter off the sea, temps around the 3c mark (probably more than that here in town) and intermittent rain/drizzle theres got to be some serious overnight damage here at this rate.

<END_WHINGE> :wallbash:

This easterly doing us no good here at all. After this mornings snow, this is the warmest 10 hour (and counting) stretch we've had over the past 2 weeks. Just had to get that off my chest !

Edited by by-tor