Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 9

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

If there's anyone in Shetland (Coastie?), could they slap a label on some passing clouds, 'snow for inner moray firth ONLY'. Cheers! :clap:

No, not Shetland, somewhere out in the middle of the North Sea!

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Here we go: http://www.zooomr.com/photos/benwatt/page3/ scroll down - few more pix there with the description:

Cambus O'May is the location ??

Ah ok, thats quite a distance, thats near Ballater! Actually that image was taken from the suspension bridge at Cambus O May. I am going skiing on Saturday so will be driving by there so i will definately stop and snap some images to post! Thanks Mondy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Here we go: http://www.zooomr.co.../benwatt/page3/ scroll down - few more pix there with the description:

Cambus O'May is the location ??

Isn't that much further up the river around Ballater? I reckon it would be less likely to freeze, given the faster flow of the river, though having said that it is a lot narrower as well.

Posted

I love frozen water shots.......

I did have some taken of Lochendorb with the waves frozen in place.........can't find them now........grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Here's another shot of the River Dee during a previous cold spell. I dunno when this was taken.

Can this shot be re-taken this year ???

http://static.zooomr...4a57b0c13_o.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Cold crisp day in Glasgow with periods of passing cloud cover. A few snow flurries as well and I don't think it got above freezing thankfully.

Out of interest does anyone else use weather.co.uk and how accurate do they find them. That site is also reporting the day or two mild for Glasgow (ie 2C max, then back down to below freezing max for hogmanay and new year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Some of you in Fife must be getting snow just now??

Snowing well at Sandford south of Tayport.

http://www.trafficsc...ts=091229181025

Pity TrafficScotland blocks these links.:)

Edited by Highland Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Potential for a North Fife Snowstreamer event this evening, though the further inland in Fife/ Angus you are, the better. Freuchie Mill station, which is in a bit of a frost hollow, is recording -0.9C, so I reckon anywhere inland of Freuchie will be ok for snow tonight, though anywhere near the coast is at a big risk of just seeing sleet of rain from these showers. http://www.floodaction.org.uk/weather/freuchie-mill/index.htm

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

I was just joking about you always speculating polar lows, I mean these conditions do look pretty good for polar lows to form there (my knowledge of polar lows is very limited and you seem to know much more about it than me). Whether they make landfall or not is another matter, but it is interesting to watch nonetheless.

Do any of you subscribe to 'Weather' magazine? There is an article about the Shetland Polar Low of the 4th February 2001 in Vol. 58, No.12, December 2003 issue.

Some of the properties of Polar Lows are; 'upper cold-core vortices typically have central temperatures below a threshold of -42C at 500mbar and they move equatorward' ... sub synoptic scale...baroclinic instability... appear most often in the Norwegian Sea, Barents sea, north of the UK and north of Norway.

Posted

Warnings out for some parts of eastern Scotland. Seemingly just for ice, however, if you read the small print they do suggest some sort of snow falling and accumulating :)

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ta/ta_forecast_warnings.html

The thing is, I don't believe a word they say on this cold spell, I really don't. They appear to have got it wrong for down south too going by comments and people leaving messages on the shout out area >>>>>>>>

Posted

Snowing heavily here nowdrinks.gif If these showers track the way I think they're gonna track, inland North Fife and Kinross-shire is in for a real dumping tonight!

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Snowing heavily here nowdrinks.gif If these showers track the way I think they're gonna track, inland North Fife and Kinross-shire is in for a real dumping tonight!

LS

Looking at this Fife should be getting a good dollop.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Looks that way LS. Queued up on the radar... looking like landfall on Angus coastline, north and east Fife over the coming hours. Inland and/or height will do the business for you up there.

Potential for a North Fife Snowstreamer event this evening, though the further inland in Fife/ Angus you are, the better. Freuchie Mill station, which is in a bit of a frost hollow, is recording -0.9C, so I reckon anywhere inland of Freuchie will be ok for snow tonight, though anywhere near the coast is at a big risk of just seeing sleet of rain from these showers. http://www.floodacti...-mill/index.htm

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Looking at this Fife should be getting a good dollop.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Glenfarg getting a pasting, Perth waiting patiently!:D

Posted

BBC / Met are not sure whats going to happen here

We in Scotland have two weather systems going head to head

from northeast coming in and southwest coming up

BATTLE has started :D:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Edinburgh Airport just topped out at its warmest temperature for 2 weeks I believe :o

Edinburgh 3c/DP 0c - just hanging onto the dewpoint for dear life there !

Newcastle 3c/DP 2c - yeuch, no thanks...

Eskdalemuir 2.6/DP -2C

Fife/northwards hanging onto lower temps and good dewpoints. Be wary of any erosion from the south-east though ! Pressure is still dropping.

Edit: I will whinge though if we hit 4c here in the coming hours. Could see 2 weeks of snow start to take a nasty hit if we head that way and dewpoint pops over zero...

:D

Oh well ! :D

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Not had any more snow since 1710hr. The snow pellets are still lying on paths and even my windowsill.

Posted

hey all - sorry to barge in but how much snow do you all have?

Snow depth at 0900hr, 7.5cm. No thaw today. Got a dusting of snow pellets an hour ago.

Posted

hey all - sorry to barge in but how much snow do you all have?

8 inches of snow and ice lying around with a fresh dusting this evening and it's still going lightly, though more showers look like hitting overnightbiggrin.gif

Posted
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)

Can confirm snow here to, just covered my wheelie bin before it stopped.

Mandy.