Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 9

Methuselah

Posted

Just about stopped here having had a reasonably heavy 20-30 minutes of snow. Stuck to all surfaces at ground level (where it matters :shok:) but quickly mushing at window-ledge level (where it doesn't matter I guess :shok: ).

That one followed the estuary , heading from ENE to WSW ... don't see others behind it though - not yet anyway. Still slightly wary that whats behind it will be increasingly less cold as the day goes on but what the hell .... yet another piece of this amazing cold spell has unfolded today !

Yep, big surprise today but I suspect the next few days are when things kick off

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

What are your impressions of the coming days?

Not much being said from the Met as usual.

Also seems to be likelihood of showers on Thursday but drier and brighter on 1st?

Edited by snowy owl

Not much being said from the Met as usual.

Also seems to be likelihood of showers on Thursday but drier and brighter on 1st?

I would think there will be increasing numbers of showers from today onwards as the wind strengthens. There may also be the odd trough appearing from time to time so I don't think showers can be ruled out at any point this week or into the weekend. Certainly very cold throughout!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Just saw the news item on there being 'no significant wind or snow' in Edinburgh for Hogmanay - really? post-9298-12620917662713_thumb.png Their going to look a little silly, me thinks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Just saw the news item on there being 'no significant wind or snow' in Edinburgh for Hogmanay - really? post-9298-12620917662713_thumb.png Their going to look a little silly, me thinks.

Yep thats what i was expecting, there's been no mention of anything much for around Edin in an easterly!! or north easterly - really!!!! i think they may have to think again.

Posted

Just seen the one o'clock weather bulletins, and what a difference between the Scottish weather and the national weather.

Reporting Scotland had temperatures in Inverness tonight of -12'c (possibly -15'c inland) while the national weather said it would be milder with temeratures only falling to -2'C.

This is the same TV station giving out majorly contrasting information.

I know the National forevcast concentrated ont he snow in England/Wales.. As that does seem to be th emain event today, but to have such varied temperatures in the forecasts is strange

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Personally ... marginal for a day or so. Its currently 0c/DP 0c at Edinburgh airport, don't want to get into any slushy/marginal situations above that (possibly will though). Definietly marginal here in Leith but a few miles inland/higher up I'm sure its all good. Looks like the latter half of the week sees it getting colder than this so I'm guessing snow-wise we'll end the week possibly better-off (or at least worse case not much worse off...) than we are today.

I do want to avoid too much fetch and sourcing from a warmish NorthSea over the next 24 hours or so .. but the weather will do what it wants so why worry :(

Edit: the fresh stuff showing up nicely on the Princes St webcam http://www.camvista....h/histedin.php3

Although that will inevitably slush up on the pavements in the next hour or so.

Roofs/trees dripping here, so we either need a steady supply of these showers (don't see any on the radar), temps/dew points to go down (if anything they're rising) or a frost tonight to consolidate (cloud/wind might act against that). So yes, marginal here in Leith at least !

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

its snowing very lightly ATM here in south Lanarkshire temp has not lifted above freezing all day

now properly snowing :cc_confused:

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted

Just seen the one o'clock weather bulletins, and what a difference between the Scottish weather and the national weather.

Reporting Scotland had temperatures in Inverness tonight of -12'c (possibly -15'c inland) while the national weather said it would be milder with temeratures only falling to -2'C.

This is the same TV station giving out majorly contrasting information.

I know the National forevcast concentrated ont he snow in England/Wales.. As that does seem to be th emain event today, but to have such varied temperatures in the forecasts is strange

I agree. I think it's probably the most bizarre piece of forecasting I've ever seen on TV. It's probably partly down to the national forecaster not bothering to add enough detail to her comments for Scotland though.

Posted

It got cancelled a couple of times in rcent years due to strong winds and rain. Living 15 minutes walk down from the middle of town, I can vouch that in fact it wasn't that bad...

They are going to look really really stupid though if Friday pans out as it might. Maybe around 0c, possibly moderate and possibly frequent snow showers and with a decent wind to give that seasonal windchill. End result: too much bevvy on the street = lots of slips, sprains, broken bones and a little bit of hypothermia. If the metoffice calls this wrong (and currently I think they are) then its either another last minute cancellation ... or going ahead with it in intermittent whiteouts ... either of which would be the final nail in the metoffice cofifn in my book !

Edited by by-tor

Posted

It got cancelled a couple of times in rcent years due to strong winds and rain. Living 15 minutes walk down from the middle of town, I can vouch that in fact it wasn't that bad...

They are going to look really really stupid though if Friday pans out as it might. Maybe around 0c, possibly moderate and possibly frequent snow showers and with a decent wind to give that seasonal windchill. End result: too much bevvy on the street = lots of slips, sprains, broken bones and a little bit of hypothermia. If the metoffice calls this wrong (and currently I think they are) then its either another last minute cancellation ... or going ahead with it in intermittent whiteouts ... either of which would be the final nail in the metoffice cofifn in my book !

I think they are damned if the do and damned if they don't either way its a pretty large public event which need serious attention in there forecasting

Posted

Currently -2.9C here and sunny. No sign of any showers at the moment although there was a light flurry this morning.

Posted

I think they are damned if the do and damned if they don't either way its a pretty large public event which need serious attention in there forecasting

I agree GG. To be honest I think the punters should be left to attend/not attend regardless. But the organisers are paranoid that some poor sods end up in hospital or dead as a result of the weather. We could end up with an inch or two of fresh snow/slush on the ground and they could pull it as a result ... health and safety insanity ... But its a mid-winter festival fer gods sake :rolleyes:

Edit: regardless, I don't think the metoffice have their finger on the pulse at all for these parts, very very shabby this past 2 weeks ... and just as shabby over the coming days by the looks of it.

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Fairly heavy snow here in Cumbernauld now (blowing about in the wind too)

Edited by NUT

Posted

skies are looking pretty grey and heavy all around me ATM so looking good for a top-up of snow for my area :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The trouble is (IMO) that convective precipitation is so hard to call...Even with the benefit of radar, snow seems to materialize out of thin air?? :mellow::unknw:

If they issue a 'disaster' warning now, and nothing happens - then what? :cold:

Posted

True a bit of a tricky one. As everyone had said any revellers should be prepared to wrap up warm on Hogmanay after all!! I just hope it doesn't get too windy!

Posted

Just heard that there is a shortage of salt in Fife now. Oh joy! :mellow:

I automatically assumed that with the ice-rink like roads :cold: I have noticed that Asda and Tesco are running short of salt...

---

Dry at the moment here :unknw: Hopefully we will get something over the next few days, eh :)

Edited by snowmess

Posted

The trouble is (IMO) that convective precipitation is so hard to call...Even with the benefit of radar, snow seems to materialize out of thin air?? :unknw::cold:

If they issue a 'disaster' warning now, and nothing happens - then what? :)

I think we should have a clearer picture tonight as what could occur wed-fri for most of Scotland. but on one hand I am hearing temperatures are set to rise again on Wednesday :mellow:

Posted

Damn, those roads and pavements are a nightmare. Just finished my delivery and I can tell you it's quite an achievement not to fall :unknw: Few close shaves though and a few choice words too as I did a funny looking jive leaving people's property, trying not to slip/fall :)

Distinctly warmer here today; like just above freezing :cold:

Sky is dark, but I think the action is just a little further east / southeast from here.

I'm happy for it all to thaw now after that nonsense on delivery today :mellow:

Posted

The trouble is (IMO) that convective precipitation is so hard to call...Even with the benefit of radar, snow seems to materialize out of thin air?? :unknw: :unknw:

If they issue a 'disaster' warning now, and nothing happens - then what? :cold:

I agree Pete. But of course the Embra events guy had nailed his colours to the mast that it was going to be OK, I presume that can only be based on metoffice info/advice. Folk put a lot of trust in them ! Funnily enough the metoffice does have a specific forecast for the Edinburgh Hogmanay events over the next 2-3 days that I would broadly agree with (if tomorrow is that windy then it will be warmer, although it won't feel like it) Although as usual it carries at least 1 logical inconsistency (Thursday less cold than Wednesday ... but actually colder based on their temps... DOH ! obviously no-one proof reads this stuff before they issue it !)

http://www.metoffice.../edinburgh.html

Forecast for Tue 29 Dec 2009

Weather Cold and breezy with occasional showers of sleet or snow and some brighter spells this afternoon. Any showers easing by this evening.

Max temp Plus 2 degrees Celsius

Min temp Minus 1 degrees Celsius

Wind East to northeasterly 12 to 18 mph gusting 25 to 30 mph

Rainfall Some slight accumulations of snow possible in places.

Forecast for Wed 30 Dec 2009

Weather Sleet or snow showers through the morning but easing by the afternoon. Feeling very cold in a brisk wind.

Max temp Plus 3 degrees Celsius

Min temp Minus 2 degrees Celsius

Wind Easterly 15 to 20mph with gusts of 30 to 40 mph.

Rainfall No significant snow accumulations expected.

Forecast for Thu 31 Dec 2009

Weather Another cold day but perhaps not as cold ad Wednesday with occasional sleet and snow showers. Winds easing a little overnight but staying cold with temperatures falling below zero overnight and a risk of further wintry showers.

Min temp Minus 3 degrees Celsius

Wind Northeasterly 10 to 15mph, easing overnight.

Rainfall Some slight accumulations of snow are possible in places.

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I think we should have a clearer picture tonight as what could occur wed-fri for most of Scotland. but on one hand I am hearing temperatures are set to rise again on Wednesday :unknw:

In a way, I think we might end-up being grateful for a short respite? If the easterly wind blows away the -16Cs from the glens, that should be a blessing...Even if it does only last for 24hours!! :unknw:

I agree Pete. But of course the Embra events guy had nailed his colours to the mast that it was going to be OK, I presume that can only be based on metoffice info/advice. Folk put a lot of trust in them ! Funnily enough the metoffice does have a specific forecast for the Edinburgh Hogmanay events over the next 2-3 days that I would broadly agree with (if tomorrow is that windy then it will be warmer, although it won't feel like it) Although as usual it carries at least 1 logical inconsistency (Thursday less cold than Wednesday ... but actually colder based on their temps... DOH ! obviously no-one proof reads this stuff before they issue it !)

http://www.metoffice.../edinburgh.html

Forecast for Tue 29 Dec 2009

Weather Cold and breezy with occasional showers of sleet or snow and some brighter spells this afternoon. Any showers easing by this evening.

Min temp Minus 1 degrees Celsius

Wind East to northeasterly 12 to 18 mph gusting 25 to 30 mph

Rainfall Some slight accumulations of snow possible in places.

Forecast for Wed 30 Dec 2009

Weather Sleet or snow showers through the morning but easing by the afternoon. Feeling very cold in a brisk wind.

Max temp Plus 3 degrees Celsius

Min temp Minus 2 degrees Celsius

Wind Easterly 15 to 20mph with gusts of 30 to 40 mph.

Rainfall No significant snow accumulations expected.

Forecast for Thu 31 Dec 2009

Weather Another cold day but perhaps not as cold ad Wednesday with occasional sleet and snow showers. Winds easing a little overnight but staying cold with temperatures falling below zero overnight and a risk of further wintry showers.

Min temp Minus 3 degrees Celsius

Wind Northeasterly 10 to 15mph, easing overnight.

Rainfall Some slight accumulations of snow are possible in places.

Fair dinkum, mate! :cold::oops:

Posted

Sunny again but - 4c, whenever you touch a metal gate thes last few days it freezes to your fingers. A few snow showers way to the north over the Firth waiting to come south I suspect.