Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 9

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

Just heard that there is a shortage of salt in Fife now. Oh joy! laugh.gif

same here in east ayrshire no salt.there is even no cooking salt in my local shops sice christmas eve in fact a boy with disability problems fell on the pavement in my street and broke his arm but still they dont salt the pavements disgrace why do we pay council tax tax for dry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Maximum Temp. here today -9.1C currently -9.6C.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

-5C and freezing fog!!

Can see that from here, looks foul all along the south side of the firth! Still sunny here - another day below zero so far, might go up later when the cloud comes down from north?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Her the cloud is thickening from the East and a breeze has developed. However the temperature has risen 6C in the last hour or two. Dewpoint still below -2C

Posted

Can see that from here, looks foul all along the south side of the firth! Still sunny here - another day below zero so far, might go up later when the cloud comes down from north?

Bet you were going to say the sun only shines on the righteous!!!:lol::D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Her the cloud is thickening from the East and a breeze has developed. However the temperature has risen 6C in the last hour or two. Dewpoint still below -2C

Recent Reports:

Dundee 2c/DP -2c

Leuchars 1c/DP -2c

Edinburgh 2c/DP 0c

Newcastle 2c/DP 1c

I expect that'll be the trend heading up the east coast. We held onto our snow through the rain and snizzle a few days ago but it was mostly calm throughout. Not convinced we'll do as well here in Embra over the next 24 hrs ... sky is cloudy and the wind is steady and blowy at 15mph from the NE (from the open sea) ... if we keep getting massaged by 2c and wind (usually theres no frost here in that situation...) then I expect some surface melt/slushing to get underway again, and this mornings snow is already going that traditional slushy/grey way that you often see happen in cities.

Oh well que sera que sera etc etc :lol:

Edited by by-tor

A bit of a dull day today in terms of the cold spell. You can see from this satellite loop that the low over England is throwing a lot of cloud over Scotland. Let's hope the cold spell starts up properly again once this low moves away.

http://www.sat24.com/

Posted

Damn, those roads and pavements are a nightmare. Just finished my delivery and I can tell you it's quite an achievement not to fall :) Few close shaves though and a few choice words too as I did a funny looking jive leaving people's property, trying not to slip/fall :lol:

Distinctly warmer here today; like just above freezing :rofl:

Sky is dark, but I think the action is just a little further east / southeast from here.

I'm happy for it all to thaw now after that nonsense on delivery today :)

What was your min temp last night?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Theres going to be days like this I guess CMD. Even the great cold spells of the past (and this isn't one yet !) threw up days like this I'd think.

Hopefully this setup doesn't throw too much north-sea (ahem) "warmth" over the east-coast/central belt over the next 24 hours ...

Edit: perversely at back-garden level these still more snow on the ground here than when the day began. But that NE wind can be the enemy here as well as the friend... and unless we get a frost here tonight we're back into a slow melt situation in Leith at least :)

A bit of a dull day today in terms of the cold spell. You can see from this satellite loop that the low over England is throwing a lot of cloud over Scotland. Let's hope the cold spell starts up properly again once this low moves away.

http://www.sat24.com/

Edited by by-tor

Posted

I think that the showers gathering in the North Sea are worth watching for areas from around Dundee down to Edinburgh and later across the central belt. With the strengthening wind they could be blown inland. Its getting a bit marginal on the coasts but should be okay for most to be of snow.

Edited by Blizzardo

Posted

I think that the showers gathering in the North Sea are worth watching for areas from around Dundee down to Edinburgh and later across the central belt. With the strengthening wind they could be blown inland. Its getting a bit marginal on the coasts but should be okay for most to be of snow.

Even though the air temps are just above 0 at the moment down the east coast, are the uppers not around -7, thus should still be OK for snow???cc_confused.gif

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

thu-fri looking great again

uksnowrisk.png

Posted

-3.2c

Just now it is 0c.

I haven't followed any of the threads down south. Am I assuming it didn't go to plan?

still not looking great for down south just yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Well temp at 0.3c and on its way down now.Dew point -1.6c and wind still NE. Any precipitation therefore would be gratefully received!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

-3.2c

Just now it is 0c.

I haven't followed any of the threads down south. Am I assuming it didn't go to plan?

I don't think anyone quite knew what the plan was really! Snow events possible across Scotland from tomorrow morning onwards, with various convection showers and troughs bringing moderate to heavy snow across many different parts of the country, obviously most often in eastern Scotland.

Just saw the news item on there being 'no significant wind or snow' in Edinburgh for Hogmanay - really? post-9298-12620917662713_thumb.png Their going to look a little silly, me thinks.

I saw that too. I tried not to smile as the chap attempted to talk without chittering too much. He was frozen stiff!!!

The 12z also shows some snow for Edinburgh on Hogmanay. They do look as if they will end up with frozen egg on their chins. Let's keep updating your initial forecast L.S. and see who is right come the night?? Them or us?? :(

Posted

I don't think anyone quite knew what the plan was really! Snow events possible across Scotland from tomorrow morning onwards, with various convection showers and troughs bringing moderate to heavy snow across many different parts of the country, obviously most often in eastern Scotland.

How are surface temps and uppers looking do you think??

I saw that too. I tried not to smile as the chap attempted to talk without chittering too much. He was frozen stiff!!!

The 12z also shows some snow for Edinburgh on Hogmanay. They do look as if they will end up with frozen egg on their chins. Let's keep updating your initial forecast L.S. and see who is right come the night?? Them or us?? smile.gif

BBC news 24, 1600 forecast ended by saying " area of snow will/may move into NE England and E Scotland on New Years Eve"drinks.gifdrinks.gifdrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Look like being mostly in the range -6 to -8C uppers? Maybe a tad warmer up here, when that SW feature moves in?? After that, it looks like 'look east'? ;):good:

How are surface temps and uppers looking do you think??

Uppers are fluctuating at times but look good some of the time:

-8C and -7C uppers with the precip in the east.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

Just had a look at the models and it looks like there is no end in sight to the cold, this could be the winter a lot of people on here have been waiting for.

SS2

Posted

Uppers are fluctuating at times but look good some of the time:

-8C and -7C uppers with the precip in the east.

Doesn't this nearly secure the snow??