Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 9

Methuselah

Posted

Stopped here, but hopefullly the growing convection just southeast of St Andrews combined with the heavy showers in the North Sea tracking towards the Tay will start a snow streamer for pretty much anywhere within 10 miles of the Tay, though areas further west and south will also see some, with southern parts of Fife also seeing more showers from the convection just off the Fife coast, more especially later in the night. Significant accumulations possible overnight, and that's just the beginning!!!!

LS

Snow on again here.

Are the showers likely to stay as they are now.....ie snow?? Earlier you were not sure what the precip would be?

Posted

Just had a small shower here,looking good on the radar with a good crop moving in should get a good covering in the next few hours.

www.sat24.com wow fri/sat looking awsomecold.gifclap.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Moderate shower of snow pellets again. Temp dipped to -0.1C in shower. The showers are very short-lived with no snowflakes, yet!

Posted

Appears to have gone Tayport - Glenfarg - Dunblane and missed Perth on its Northern edge so showers travelling NE - SW not directly East.:wallbash:

I love it, you have a foot of snow and are still annoyed at missing a wee shower! :rofl: I'd be the same probably!

I'm wondering if we will manage some snow tonight, th front from the south is getting closer and showers from the east appear to be getting further and further inland. If not i'll get them at work tomorrow, some very heavy snow there at around lunchtime today giving another few cm's on top of the ice :)

Posted

I hope you post these pics in the photography section, they are awesome !! :rofl:

or in the general model thread where they are chatting about the Thames freezing over :wallbash:

Yes and it's Steve Murr who's saying it!

Couldn't believe my eyes when I seen the River Dee today, from a distance it actually looks completed frozen solid!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Yes and it's Steve Murr who's saying it!

Couldn't believe my eyes when I seen the River Dee today, from a distance it actually looks completed frozen solid!

I was working in London in Jan 1987 (my first job after graduating). The office rear windows overlooked the Thames at Richmond, and the sight there was very similar to the pictures of the Dee today. So if it got really cold down there, then the higher reaches of the Thames could get very "slush-puppy" indeed. But frozen from bank to bank though ? They'd have to better 1987 and that would take some topping I'd think...

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Evening all,

I must say I find the Met Office's current temperature in Aberdeen of -1° way off.

It is bone chillingly cold out there at the moment, it must be close to -5 or -6 - my car reading measureed -4° at 4pm.

They currently have Lossiemouth at -10°!

Some snow showers off the east coast should give a nice covering to eastern Grampian, Angus and Fife in the next few hours.

Yeah i noticed that today too. Portlethen hasn't got above -3oC today and its forecast to be -2oC tonight..when believe it or not my car says -6oC already!

Oh yeah and weve had a nice dusting of snow already! The roads, pavements...infact anything that was icy is now white again!! Long may it continue

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Dry here just now, although thought anything we got tonight might be a bit marginal anyway sooo not too bothered.

Really enjoyed the lovely heavy showers this morning, charts look great for future so heres hoping we get some more awesome snow!

Off for a cuppa and to calm down lol! :lol:

Edited by snowy owl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Snow on again here.

Are the showers likely to stay as they are now.....ie snow?? Earlier you were not sure what the precip would be?

Still hard to tell. Looks like snow if you're inland overnight ut there is a slight chance of the temperatures rising a bit closer to the coast. The uppers are all in order, with the -7 line moving south overnight, so I wouldn't bet against it staying as snow, especially if precipitation is heavy, but you never know. Overall though, I think you've got at least a 60% chance of it staying mainly as snow.

edit: Heavy snow back on again here!!!!!

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

No snow here since this Morningwallbash.gifnonono.gif

:lazy: At this post Stuart :drunk:

I have felt like this today. A cloudy day of nothing but low temps which nosed ever so slightly above freezing point for an hour or two. I started feeling as if the cold spell was over and boo hoo hoo. I think many of us have reached the point of rational snoverload. In summertime if anyone had promised me a day of basically sub-zero temps with a thick covering of snow outside on the 29th December I would have snapped their hand off and fallen to my knees in gratitude. Now I just feel like it was a rubbish day with nothing much happening. How selfish have we become so quickly??? :lol: :drinks::drunk::lazy: :lazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

-14'C in the back garden! There's very deep cold in the Moray Firth at the moment, -12'C and -11'C in Lossiemouth and Kinloss. If we're lucky, we could see the lowest temperature record for any city in the UK in Inverness tonight, fingers crossed! We need a lot of luck!

Posted

Temps already -11C at Dalcross. Could this be a record cold night for Inverness area?

-14'C in the back garden! There's very deep cold in the Moray Firth at the moment, -12'C and -11'C in Lossiemouth and Kinloss. If we're lucky, we could see the lowest temperature record for any city in the UK in Inverness tonight, fingers crossed! We need a lot of luck!

You have read my thoughts!! -13C in my garden at this time.:lol:

Posted

Temps already -11C at Dalcross. Could this be a record cold night for Inverness area?

-17'C to beat. -14'C now in Lossiemouth!

It hit almost -20C in Glasgow in 95 and I think back in 81, so a long way to drop Rab. I really hope it happens though :wallbash::unknw::angry::cold:

If not this time, then if the latest ECM comes off, maybe -25C :nonono:

Posted

It hit almost -20C in Glasgow in 95 and I think back in 81, so a long way to drop Rab. I really hope it happens though :wallbash::cold::) :)

If not this time, then if the latest ECM comes off, maybe -25C :unknw:

I meant for the Inverness area with the -17'C. -19.9'C to beat for Glasgow, which I can't see happening, but certainly could happen at the start of the new year!

It hit almost -20C in Glasgow in 95 and I think back in 81, so a long way to drop Rab. I really hope it happens though :nonono::) :) :)

If not this time, then if the latest ECM comes off, maybe -25C :angry:

Aye, we could get below -30'C in the Highlands if FI pans out as forecast!

I meant for the Inverness area with the -17'C. -19.9'C to beat for Glasgow, which I can't see happening, but certainly could happen at the start of the new year!

Sorry, I thought you had meant record for a UK city?? Anyway, let's not split hairs over the difference between -20C and -17C. Brass monkey weather whatever way you package it up!! :yahoo::) :) :)

I don't know if anyone else has experienced it, but the pain in the lungs from being out for any length of time in seriously cold temps is actually quite frightening. I have only experienced it back in the 95; you think it is a good thing to happen until it does happen and then the reality sinks in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

I love it, you have a foot of snow and are still annoyed at missing a wee shower! :) I'd be the same probably!

I'm wondering if we will manage some snow tonight, th front from the south is getting closer and showers from the east appear to be getting further and further inland. If not i'll get them at work tomorrow, some very heavy snow there at around lunchtime today giving another few cm's on top of the ice :)

Ross B, do you think I may need Professional help?:yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

The cloudcover edging north from down south may just scupper these temps later tonight. See what happens..

very light snow grains started down here about 1 hour ago looks like that front over england might just push into the most southern parts it doesnt look at this moment to be anything heavy butwhistling.gif

Posted

Sorry, I thought you had meant record for a UK city?? Anyway, let's not split hairs over the difference between -20C and -17C. Brass monkey weather whatever way you package it up!! :) :) :) :)

I don't know if anyone else has experienced it, but the pain in the lungs from being out for any length of time in seriously cold temps is actually quite frightening. I have only experienced it back in the 95; you think it is a good thing to happen until it does happen and then the reality sinks in.

Aye I can imagine! I had meant for the UK city originally, had forgotten about Glasgow's 1995 cracker! :yahoo:

Oh and guess who is going skiing in the Cairngorms for two days from the 2nd!! :)

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

I fear many of us will need cold spell therapy (CST) for years to come after this....

I am going to be gutted when winter ends, although i was thinking, since we are having a great winter, do you think this could mean we will have a great summer?........hahah joking obviously