Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 19

MAF

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

The only place I reckon it will snow today/tonight is anywhere East of Canterbury. If you want to see snow Neil I think your best bet is St Nicholas at Wade roundabout :D

haha , think i'll go out for a drive if it does that! :)

Posted

Perhaps an interesting set up for the far se tomorrow with a convergence zone, the fax charts show a trough off the Kent coast at 06hrs tomorrow. A good chance of some heavy snow showers here,hard to say how far west these would get but certainly eastern areas of Kent in the firing line.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Definitely something blowing in the wind here in Ashford where I'm shopping. Seems to be colder by the second.

Hmm, interesting! I shall use that as an excuse to go out and have a smoke!

Posted

Seems the MetO have removed all my snow chances for now, along with most of the warnings for SE area. :D

I was watching it early this morning , looked awful incredible to have such an overnight downgrade... Not sure how we can look ahead by a few days when it was wrong in one night

Posted

Ok a very short light snow shower in Biggin Hill :D

Had sleet shower here earlier on

Posted

post-2-12622573300713.png

Looks a very similar setup to the snow on 17th/18th Dec?

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Seems the MetO have removed all my snow chances for now, along with most of the warnings for SE area. :D

they were not warnings, but advisories which indicated confidence was moderate. They were not warnings, which tend to get issued when confidence higher.

As such please look out for the more experienced posters who indicate conditions over next 1-3 days could provide snow to this region.

You wil soon realise the posters intent only on posting thier own repetetive view on the fact there has been no snow in past 15 minutes in their location.

Posted

post-2-12622573300713.png

Looks a very similar setup to the snow on 17th/18th Dec?

Nope this is actually further east this time , less likely the further west you go

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

There is still actually an advisory for the SE corner for Friday atm. They have only removed the one for Thurs evening.

Lets try and have a bit of patience here and not be too downbeat. The cold air is still arriving, the indications for the coming days are that it is going to keep getting colder and the chances for snow increasing too. Lots to look forward tosmile.gif .

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

At the moment it is looking as though areas just inland from the coast are going to catch a few showers, some possibly heavy. It looks like the kind of set up that restricts snow to these regions - further inland (beyond 20 to 30 miles) probably dry and clear. Then see what happens in to next week.

I agree that the good thing is that the cold is setting in at last from today and may allow things to become interesting sometime next week.

But hey, cold and frosty is not bad is it?

Posted

Looking at the recent radar its seems some small amounts of convective showers getting going on the brisk NE breeze and brushing here in Ipswich. Pretty much rain so far but looking at the dutch radar there seems to be some activity out in the north sea: http://www.buienradar.nl/

Not expecting anything of note just hoping to see more of a wintry mix as the day progresses

Edited by MattS

Posted

Nope this is actually further east this time , less likely the further west you go

This set up over the next few days is more east than west, it will as before be a gamble as to who is lucky but I woudl bet on central and eastern Kent may be and Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex with all probability. The north sea at present is full of low crowd and here at Whitstable we have had a few small grain snow showers and also a sleet and rain shower.

Posted

I'm not too fussed about snow spells just yet, given this is going to be a very prolonged cold spell from the looks of things, though there will be some dry spells at times, esp between the 8-12th...which as far as I'd like to go with regards to the cold spell at the moment, but needless to say if I'd have to make a punt as to how long the cold will be about for, I'd say don't bother looking for any breakdown till beyond the 15th...

ECM 0z run freebie today was Reading surface temps, most of the ensemble runs suggesting temps very close to freezing throughout the next 10 days so Ice days looking very possible, even for London city itself at times...mins could go very low, esp in the countryside, relaly can't rule out -8/9/10s, we saw it at times in the last cold spell and if anything SST's are a little colder again.

In the suggested arrangement for the next 24 hrs I think that showers that arrive will turn increasingly to sleet and snow later today and then into tomorrow for a while a line of snow showers is quite likely from northern and eastern parts of kent especially, funneling down to places like Folkestone etc and Rye and Hastings vicinity too as a western and southern boundary. Time has shown that this pattern is repeated and all such areas indicated see snow showers.

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Often easterlies produce nothing more than cold dry conditions. Ideally want we want to be looking for is continued easterlies cooling the UK and Ireland reaching beyond were the Gulf Stream splits North and South. Then we need to see some activity over Scandinavia and see winds turning to a NE. If cold conditions persist further and continue to block any attacks from the Atlantic a Northerly would be most welcome (without any Westerly element) and eventually would lead to widespread snow.

Someone posted a chart yesterday showing how far the Jetstream has travelled South this winter with low after low hitting Portugal and Spain - a great spectacle in this day and age and long may it continue through Jan-April.

Edited by rikki

Posted

Just had some sleety snow on my trip to Strood from Maidstone about 30 minutes ago. Temp was 5c when I came to work this morning at the top of Detling and is now down to 3c so all going in the right direction (from car thermometer).

James

Posted

Theres some little streams of showers starting to set up now across the eastern half of east anglia, hopefully these can grow into something more substantial as the afternoon wares on

SK

Posted

I think next week although it is uncertain still, Snow showers will head into our region by Tuesday morning, and will begin to come more heavy and frequent. This is 5 days away and a lot can change

I think next week although it is uncertain still, Snow showers will head into our region by Tuesday morning, and will begin to come more heavy and frequent. This is 5 days away and a lot can change

Rather unsure why the latest beeb forecast is so underplaying the prospects for the SE region through to this weekend (plus virtually dismissed any chance of much of a flake away from eastern Kent coasts into tomorrow - despite the latest renewed advisory issued only a couple of hours or so ago).

Also that trough into as it moves south into Saturday suggests wintry potential right down into the south east as we go into the weekend. But not a mention of it either.