Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax48s.gif

East Kent streamer on friday possible

Posted

Yes, you are.

Timmy, follow metoffice guidance re tomorrow. Which suggests 2-5cm could fall widely, ESP northern part of this region. Clearly some may get lucky. Some will get none.

Posted

http://www.meteociel.../fax/fax48s.gif

East Kent streamer on friday possible

I found an interesting feature on a few models, which could give a good covering to many parts of EA and the SE during Friday afternoon/evening

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

Timmy, follow metoffice guidance re tomorrow. Which suggests 2-5cm could fall widely, ESP northern part of this region. Clearly some may get lucky. Some will get none.

Met O said 5-10cm for Northants yesterday .....

have a guess how much we got?

Posted

Met O said 5-10cm for Northants yesterday .....

have a guess how much we got?

No idea. Different circumstances. Do you suggest the general population ignore the met office. That would not be wise.

Posted

No idea. Different circumstances. Do you suggest the general population ignore the met office. That would not be wise.

Did i Suggest that???

What i was saying is sometimes they get it wrong.

Good luck for the 2-5cm.

Edited by Lancs_Northants

Posted

This is one decent chart at T+144 from GEM

post-10203-12621969722913_thumb.png

ECM a stunner too, a very cold North Easterly develops at T+144, and with the liklehood of increased North Sea Convection, thats a recipe for snow! And possibly a lot of it! :lol: :lol: :D :D

A lot of excitement in the forum now. There are prospects of a Thames Streamer next week. But that is in FI still.

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Anyone want to discuss the latest faxes and the "barbed" lines it is showing over the SE for friday? Ppl are saying possibly streamers?

Posted

Anyone want to discuss the latest faxes and the "barbed" lines it is showing over the SE for friday? Ppl are saying possibly streamers?

these are convergence zones, its where two airmasses are opposed to each other directionally and where they meet it forces air upwards creating a stream of showers, they often sit about for a while.

Posted

these are convergence zones, its where two airmasses are opposed to each other directionally and where they meet it forces air upwards creating a stream of showers, they often sit about for a while.

The one on the Thames during the night of the 1st and into the 2nd of February lasted a long time, and the showers never really fizzle until the zones move. That is why London saw the most snow on these days in the country

Posted

BBC London are forecasting snow late NYE and on NYD

keep wishing Yamkin... you never know what you might get :lol:

still not convinced upper temps will come down low enough for snow over NYE/D but hey ho we can only live in hope :lol: :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Sun

I have very little knowledge but from an outsiders view and from following these forums since November, I have to point out a reoccuring pattern - charts come out, evreyone gets excited, then they get put back, then it rains.....charts come out, everyone gets excited, events get put back and then it rains - this seems to happen quite often ... why ??

Posted

Are the showers that have lined-up from just east of Bath to just south of Reading to just west of London caused by a convergence zone?

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted

mentioned on the other thread, may have got moved, but some boot presenting the weather on south today has temps of 2 degrees friday, 2 degrees saturday...and 6 degrees sunday? eh? cc_confused.gif

maybe in cornwall but surely that is wrong...when you contrast it with the 5 dayers which has a maximum of 0 degrees for my area it does show they have a bit of work to do at the met office to sort out the consistencies or otherwise of their forecasting. Talk about misleading the public whistling.gif

looks good though down here, whether you like dry cold or snowy cold, potential for all during the first week of jan

Posted

I have very little knowledge but from an outsiders view and from following these forums since November, I have to point out a reoccuring pattern - charts come out, evreyone gets excited, then they get put back, then it rains.....charts come out, everyone gets excited, events get put back and then it rains - this seems to happen quite often ... why ??

well its a funny thing this model watching syndrome :good: there are a few people who actually believe the model output actually determines the way the weather will be. :good:

the thing is that people just dont learn. they hang their hopes on the latest output and then when it doesn't happen they get upset/emotional etc. etc. i quite often state my thoughts on forecasting past 3 days. its just not precise enough to do so unless there is a rock solid trend showing little deviation. and am also a firm believer in getting outside and seeing what the weather is actually doing. rather than look at a model to tell me. :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Why is London and the far SE being left out of the widespread snow warning from the Met Office for Friday? Surely the cold air will have reached everywhere by then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Just popped into the NE thread, snow showers now turning up on the NE coast, with temps and dew points dropping away.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

Why is London and the far SE being left out of the widespread snow warning from the Met Office for Friday? Surely the cold air will have reached everywhere by then.

Good point. The SE will have snow late on NYE and on NYD. Expect the MetO to add London/SE to the warning list tomorrow.

Posted

Good point. The SE will have snow late on NYE and on NYD. Expect the MetO to add London/SE to the warning list tomorrow.

Maybe, but there looks to be little preciptation left by the time the cold air reaches us. I would of though that the easterly winds look more potent to the south-east of the country then anywhere else? Therefore a greater chance of snow showers penertrating inland.

Although it is rather funny that met office has put the whole of the country in a weather warning apart from the south-east. ???

Edited by BarnetBlizzard

Posted

Maybe, but there looks to be little preciptation left by the time the cold air reaches us. I would of though that the easterly winds look more potent to the south-east of the country then anywhere else? Therefore a greater chance of snow showers penertrating inland.

Although it is rather funny that met office has put the whole of the country in a weather warning apart from the south-east. ???

Although im the biggest lamp post watcher going, i just dont think that the excitement will reward us. This time last week we were saying its the greatest set up for years, and by now should be snowed in.... alas, same old same old - days of rain.

Forgive me for being doom and gloom, and im no mild ramper, but if i was a betting man, we will be here this time next week saying the same things.

I know my position in terms of elevation goes against me, here in St. Neots, west Cambs. im looking at every forecast on every available channel, and no one predicts heavy snow for our area. Please someone put me in my place, and tell me it will turn alot colder, and that it will snow....

Posted

Middle of next week is what people are focusing on. Potential for significant snowfall in many areas.As the Very cold North Easterly wind takes shpae and North Sea Convection which forms the showers increases

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

Although im the biggest lamp post watcher going, i just dont think that the excitement will reward us. This time last week we were saying its the greatest set up for years, and by now should be snowed in.... alas, same old same old - days of rain.

Forgive me for being doom and gloom, and im no mild ramper, but if i was a betting man, we will be here this time next week saying the same things.

I know my position in terms of elevation goes against me, here in St. Neots, west Cambs. im looking at every forecast on every available channel, and no one predicts heavy snow for our area. Please someone put me in my place, and tell me it will turn alot colder, and that it will snow....

Yes but this low was never going to be very good for us, but the low next week will be different as we will have cold air embedded.

Posted

Please someone put me in my place, and tell me it will turn alot colder, and that it will snow....

It will definitely turn a lot colder in the coming days. Not sure about snow/snow amounts though - that is still not certain.

Posted

I suspect the bulk of that will be for ice, as the precipitation will have moved through at that point with the colder air in its wake - it's not forecast to clear the SE, and thus pull in the much colder air behind, until much later friday/into saturday.