Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 19

MAF

Posted

i have to agree with a few others. i am just not seeing any percipitation coming into the SE. cold, yes. and very cold too. but dry dry dry :D

Posted

Yes but this low was never going to be very good for us, but the low next week will be different as we will have cold air embedded.

ok, i take that onboard, i spend ages on the model discussion output. The big boys in there say its gonna get bitter, and i know we need the cold air established in my region befor we see snow, as we never favour in a marginal set up. Fingers crossed then.

Posted

I believe that areas in EA especially will have a small covering of snow by Friday night, the trough that originated from Norway has grudually come further south and west. The feature will slip down EA and the SE and may give a few cm of snow, especially in EA as the cold will be embedded here by Friday for definate.

For next week, although the North Easterly arrives on Monday, I dont think any PPN will arrive until at least Monday night

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

I believe that areas in EA especially will have a small covering of snow by Friday night, the trough that originated from Norway has grudually come further south and west. The feature will slip down EA and the SE and may give a few cm of snow, especially in EA as the cold will be embedded here by Friday for definate.

For next week, although the North Easterly arrives on Monday, I dont think any PPN will arrive until at least Monday night

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of the far southeast of England on Thursday.

Frequent heavy snow showers are expected to develop during the evening with accumulations of 5 to 10cm possible in places.

Issued at: 2146 Wed 30 Dec

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Yay!

METO warning out for Kent, Medway and East Sussex for frequent heavy snow showers tomorrow evening/night.

5 to 10cms possibleclap.gif

Posted

Yay!

METO warning out for Kent, Medway and East Sussex for frequent heavy snow showers tomorrow evening/night.

I was waiting with sweaty palms for that warning :D

Posted

Yay!

good to see one happy bunny :D

i think the warmth of London is why the Meto have skirted around us :) but after last Feb i do not doubt that London will see more snow in the rest of this winter :)

I was waiting with sweaty palms for that warning smile.gif

Been watching the prospects for tomorrow night for a while lol!

Fingers crossed it comes off - looking good!cold.gif

good to see one happy bunny laugh.gif

i think the warmth of London is why the Meto have skirted around us sad.gif but after last Feb i do not doubt that London will see more snow in the rest of this winter smile.gif

Its a long but exciting little stroll-ette on this one though isn't it by the looks of things! Not often that we can look ahead with some optimism.

I am sure we will all see something in our region sooner or laterdrinks.gif

Posted

good to see one happy bunny :)

i think the warmth of London is why the Meto have skirted around us :) but after last Feb i do not doubt that London will see more snow in the rest of this winter :)

The warmth in London will have no bearing due to the very cold air flow. I expect MetO to update their warnings accordingly for the rest of the SE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

The warmth in London will have no bearing due to the very cold air flow. I expect MetO to update their warnings accordingly for the rest of the SE.

I dont think so, i may be reading things wrongly, but as far as i can see its gonna be the far south and east of the region.

Posted

I dont think so, i may be reading things wrongly, but as far as i can see its gonna be the far south and east of the region.

Well I'm afraid the meto disagree with you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

I will reserve my judgement until I see those showers on the radar. I was led to believe that east Kent was in the firing line with the last snowy spell b4 xmas only for the bulk of the snow to actually transfer more north and west when the event came.

It all comes down to wind direction and potential instability on the day. Wait and see is my advice, could be anywhere in the SE.

Posted

Dont think we will able to put a finger on it till we see whats a brewing,ie isolated heavy showers or bands of showers,new years eve is not the ideal time to be sat watching the radar but thats how its going to be i reckon :)

Posted

Well that horrible crap weather we've had over us in the mids is now moving SE.

24 HOURS of rain ,Sleet and some heavy snow, more heavy rain, some sleet.

Colder air now moving in...

2-5cm of snow for the south East...i doubt it.

Edited by Lancs_Northants

The warning for the south east corner extends well into Friday with the snow showers expected to ease through the day. There have been some suggestions in the last day or so that activity might pep up down here as the front clears southwards and the cold upper air comes off the north sea with still enough moisture around.

Hopefully that 'yellow un' becomes an orange tomorrow! Fingers crossed!

Posted

Well that horrible crap weather we've had over us in the mids is now moving SE.

24 HOURS of rain ,Sleet and some heavy snow, more heavy rain, some sleet.

Colder air now moving in...

2-5cm of snow for the south East...i doubt it.

Yea we have too,really crap,without the bonus of sleet or heavy snow,but its not that that is going to give us any snow is it??anyhow you will get the showers peppering your location earlier,let us know the score tomo evening :)

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

I will reserve my judgement until I see those showers on the radar. I was led to believe that east Kent was in the firing line with the last snowy spell b4 xmas only for the bulk of the snow to actually transfer more north and west when the event came.

It all comes down to wind direction and potential instability on the day. Wait and see is my advice, could be anywhere in the SE.

The warning zone transfered further west nearer the time all that talk of dangerous HIGH RISK blah blah didn't happen here and many east kent regions. They then put us and the rest of east kent on severe warning for next day , we had an hour of heavy snow and that was it. The met office just don't keep an eye on the wind directions or mild sections , just wack everyone in the south east under the same stupid risk. The south east is a MASSIVE area if anything there are areas that i don't even class the south east!! :wallbash:

Posted

I think there will be a few suprised people in the far SE come New Years Day. Like NSSC, I too have been watching developments closely over the last 36 or so hours and must say that I am quietly confident of a white New Year in my part of Kent.

The window is admitedly, quite small (around 24 to 36 hours, the latter in E Kent) but it is there nonetheless and has the potential of delivering snow that could quite possibly lie for the next 2 weeks, especially on the N Downs and High Weald, looking at current model predictions. Plus I am sure there will be other noteable snowfall here in Kent over the coming 7-10 days, most of which will only be firmed up 24-36 hours prior to happening.

For me the period to watch is midnight thursday to midday friday, any earlier than that and I think things would be a little marginal certainly here anyway, not so further inland with 200m elevation.

Walking back from the village pub early friday morning could be very interesting indeed and make up for the lack of snow over christmas.

James

Posted

possibly, we shall see. but i am not holding out much hope mate. have seen the setup many times before to know that it is a time of putting a finger in the air and taking a block of 6 hours at a time :wallbash:

see above :)

Dont think we will able to put a finger on it till we see whats a brewing,ie isolated heavy showers or bands of showers,new years eve is not the ideal time to be sat watching the radar but thats how its going to be i reckon smile.gif

agree there TN9. i am really unconvinced as the amount of PPN we are going to get. and wait anxiously for the front to head in so that we can start tracking via radar rather then model projections :)

Posted

The warning for the south east corner extends well into Friday with the snow showers expected to ease through the day. There have been some suggestions in the last day or so that activity might pep up down here as the front clears southwards and the cold upper air comes off the north sea with still enough moisture around.

Hopefully that 'yellow un' becomes an orange tomorrow! Fingers crossed!

The flow looks decent for some sort of Kent streamer, the exacts of the flow will determine exactly what sort of streamer sets up. The only downside is the flow doesn't last all that long before a shortwave breaks it up somewhat.

Posted

The warning zone transfered further west nearer the time all that talk of dangerous HIGH RISK blah blah didn't happen here and many east kent regions. They then put us and the rest of east kent on severe warning for next day , we had an hour of heavy snow and that was it. The met office just don't keep an eye on the wind directions or mild sections , just wack everyone in the south east under the same stupid risk. The south east is a MASSIVE area if anything there are areas that i don't even class the south east!! :wallbash:

There is no warm sectors when this weakened front clears,not saying it wont be pot luck with the showers,but i reckon your ideally placed mate :)

Posted

Getting excited about the next few days... I'm hoping it hits East Kent, I was away when we had the last lot pretty much and I missed out on going sledding.

Posted

The flow looks decent for some sort of Kent streamer, the exacts of the flow will determine exactly what sort of streamer sets up. The only downside is the flow doesn't last all that long before a shortwave breaks it up somewhat.

Nothing for us then KOLD, need a Thames Streamer not a Kent Streameer for my location

Posted

Snow now forecast for Essex on Friday. Looked to be confirmed by BBC charts just now

the BBC graphics are rubbish!!!!!! I wouldnt rely on them, best thing to do is watch the net weather radar.