Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 19

MAF

Posted

Joe B never said it would snow today in our neck of the woods

The disruptive snow he mentioned doesn't look likely at any point this week. The new forecast doesn't suggest there will be any too. That's my point.

Next week, however may bring something by it's totally FI at the moment but he wasn't on about that.

Edited by rmc1987

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

ECM 12Z should start rolling out at 18:00

i was optomistic! but my hopes of snow for thursday/fri are decreasing all the time at present the fax chart is still giving me hope! hoping for the some upgrades by this time tommorow!

Thanks :) well there is always hope just going to check the ECM now

Posted

The low has done/is doing and I think will do exactly what is was always predicted to do. Nowhere in this region was predicted any snow (apart from a little sleetiness in the north of the region)before late this week from this system - irrespective of recent model oscillation around minor mesoscale details. As much I am hardly enthralled about the rain, I am certainly not disappointed about the current 24hrs or so as there was nothing but rain to expect anyway. Even in your locale further north than me, little if anything more was suggested from the beginning.

As for sustained spells, on a less IMBY basis - the spell this December (and counting) has been quite significant. On a totally IMBY basis I too have been rather disappointed in terms of actual snowfall so far, but taking even a larger regional picture there have been areas, very close by in fact, that have seen very large snowfalls which stayed for up to a week until just before xmas.

But as far as heavy snow expectations for the main part of this week - there never were any.

A couple of things - the low has not been easy to predict as you know with the GFS predicting it further north and the other models further south. It has not done 'as predicted' because none of the models could quite get it right even as late as last night when no-one knew where the front would finish. A very difficult set up to call.

There have been quite a lot of suggestions for snow from Wednesday onwards actually over recent days - although too far ahead to take seriously admittedly.

Actually heavy snow was predicted by the BBC last night and again this morning for this part of the region even if it was then forecast for rain tomorrow.

We have had snow here - still a little around in fact in sheltered spots. Asd usual, the north has done better for sustained cold but that's what we would normally expect.

Posted

The disruptive snow he mentioned doesn't look likely at any point this week. The new forecast doesn't suggest there will be any too. That's my point.

Next week, however may bring something by it's totally FI at the moment but he wasn't on about that.

One minute the MetO are forecasting snow for the SE, then no snow. Latest charts have snow for the SE on Thurs/Fri. Let's wait and see what materialises.

As for next Monday/Tuesday snow event, it's good to see more than one model going for snow, so let's see how this unfolds later this week. We maybe in for a surprise this Thurs/Fri and next week.

Gosh, we are not even out of December yet and winter so far has been quite good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: We've hit the giant daddy jackpot!

It's certainly going to be cold North Easterlies over the SE by Friday but with a small ridge of HIGH no significant snow. Just some light showers peppering the far eastern coastal areas.

Posted

One minute the MetO are forecasting snow for the SE, then no snow. Latest charts have snow for the SE on Thurs/Fri. Let's wait and see what materialises.

As for next Monday/Tuesday snow event, it's good to see more than one model going for snow, so let's see how this unfolds later this week. We maybe in for a surprise this Thurs/Fri and next week.

Gosh, we are not even out of December yet and winter so far has been quite good.

Lets see if the models continue to suggest snow for next week. We'll be lucky to see any Thurs/Fri. So keep an eye out for possible potential next week.

Yeah, it's been a fairly decent start to winter.

Posted

According to the Itv forecast, no snow for the south east on Thursday/Friday. I'm a bit disappointed to be honest.:wallbash:

Keep an eye on the model runs leading up to Thurs/Fri. Not saying ITV forecast is wrong, but UKMO & GFS models at the moment have got snow for the SE this Thurs/Fri.

Feast your eyes on these beauties :) :ph34r: :):):):):shok::nea::)

post-2721-12621145815413_thumb.gif

post-2721-12621145878013_thumb.gif

post-2721-12621145938813_thumb.gif

post-2721-12621146000013_thumb.gif

post-2721-12621146060113_thumb.gif

Posted

when i came out of work at 4.45 today, it was cold with a strong breeze and icy rain was falling.

still very cold in here, even with the fire on, but it doesnt help that southernman came in from his shift outside and promptly leant against me on the sofa in his soaking wet and freezing cold jeans.!!!!!

Posted

If you want to see snow get Sky channel 401 on lol

I'm watching the match on HD ch 408 :whistling::whistling:

MetO are now showing snow for Thurs/Fri. This goes in line with the UKMO & GFS latest ppn charts.

Posted

Got to say in down town London today has been GRIM. Hammered it down all day with freezing cold rain. Magic

Got to say in Ramsgate its been raining most of the day too ;o( temp has been about and still is +5.3c ... dew point +5c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Temps been steady here 2.7c dewpoints slightly higher at 3c. also been raining here all day, a little sleet mixed in

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Hi all, I must say that we were never really going to get any real snow from this as it was very marginal and all the meto warnings are

just to cover their own backs. Next week looks interesting and I dont think we should write off the ECM output that brings seriously

cold weather to our parts. My current record low is -9.6 and I think this may well be topped by the end of next week. The sort of temps

these charts are showing have been to these parts on many ocassions so why not again cold.gif

Posted

its still trying to snow here .

temp 1.4

dewpoint 0.4

pressure 1010

rain so far 14.4mm

Edited by simon65

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I've never seen anything like this, after hours of icy rain (all afternoon and evening) in the last hour or so it has turned to heavy snow, and it's sticking even though everywhere is so wet, everything is turning white !

I will try to get a photo in a minute and add this, also going to have a look at the camera's on the M1 to see what it's like on the roads.

Posted

I've never seen anything like this, after hours of icy rain (all afternoon and evening) in the last hour or so it has turned to heavy snow, and it's sticking even though everywhere is so wet, everything is turning white !

I will try to get a photo in a minute and add this, also going to have a look at the camera's on the M1 to see what it's like on the roads.

You beat me to it!

Can't believe it's settling!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Very surprised just started to snow here.

Yes started here about 10:30 ish, LOLjust stopped again and back to sleet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

The snow has slowed down a bit now, just been out to take a picture but it's so dark it's not come out very well.

I'm amazed it has stuck to the path and grass everywhere was in puddles earlier !post-10773-12621271789313_thumb.jpg

You beat me to it!

Can't believe it's settling!

I've been curtain twitching all the way through part two of the Triffids, suddenly I noticed the rain had started to get very lumpy and within minutes it was huge flakes.