Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

BBC forecast pretty much says rain for round here.

Then again i never trust the bbc.

was that local tv

on sky news now

another Met update

There is a high risk of severe weather affecting parts of Wales and central England. Periods of sleet and snow are likely to persist well into Wednesday. The snow will be heavy at times with drifting likely in strong easterly winds, leading to blizzard conditions over hills.

10-15cm of snow is likely widely with 25cm or more possible over high ground of Wales.

Disruption to transport and power supplies is likely.

Issued at: 1100 Tue 29 Dec

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

This is shaping up to be one of the best cold spells since yesterday :)

2.6c with steady rain. May go up the hill later - is it worth it?

Posted

Same just drizzly rain here nothing to exciting im expecting this to stick around for a while now so could be some big rain totals but yet again maybe not if its just going to drizzle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Just had a short heavy shower, 50/50 sleet.

Lets hope this heavy stuff heading up turns to snow.

gets getting colder.

Posted

3.3 here and steady not moved up or down in an hour!

same here 3.1°C here and hasn't budged for a while now but i have a feeling it will actally rise later so cant see it snowing in bristol unless it does drop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

temp stopped at 3,4..expect this to fall more I hope later

Perhaps once we get passed 2pm the temp will start to fall and once we get to darkness then it will fall further.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Perhaps once we get passed 2pm the temp will start to fall and once we get to darkness then it will fall further.

I think the easterly winds are meant to pick up bringing teh temp down lower soon.

Posted

Temperature has fallen slightly here in the last hour, from 2.9 to 2.7 with several bursts of sleet. I'm about 125m ASL in the Thrupp/Brimscombe area so slightly colder then down in the centre of Stroud.

Posted

Hi mate,

Dont get me wrong Im baffled like most of you with this set up,

But when I see Laura Tobin(BBC) and Lucy(SKY) keep saying IT will snow or turn to snow later I can only believe them,with Met Still up dating for snow..

surely they are all not on lsd..lol

Good to hear Musician's temp's also falling,

Im down to 3.3...painfully slow

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Temperature has fallen slightly here in the last hour, from 2.9 to 2.7 with several bursts of sleet. I'm about 125m ASL in the Thrupp/Brimscombe area so slightly colder then down in the centre of Stroud.

I'm on Slad Road, town end, and the ppn keeps alternating between rain/sleet. A touch colder and I reckon Rodborough/Minchinhampton will have loads later. Still knife edge here but I've got a quiet confidence we'll see at least something later. Good luck!

Oh, not worried by it being very wet - couple years ago we had 6 hours heavy rain, then 1 hour snow that gave an inch!

Edited by SilverWolf

Posted

I'm on Slad Road, town end, and the ppn keeps alternating between rain/sleet. A touch colder and I reckon Rodborough/Minchinhampton will have loads later. Still knife edge here but I've got a quiet confidence we'll see at least something later. Good luck!

Oh, not worried by it being very wet - couple years ago we had 6 hours heavy rain, then 1 hour snow that gave an inch!

Posted

Agreed. With he temperature remaining steady or falling ever so slightly - and an Easterly picking up here - things can only go one way later - Snow!

I also note that the front has stalled, which is good news for an incursion of colder air.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Completely off topic and as a Mod, I should know better but, I've got to ask - Musician, did you go to Chippy school?

Posted

who said it was over..

when the heavy stuff arrives this I hope will cause the evaporate cooling effect we hope..

If I leave it to late its going to be dark on the Hill...

James are you still going to Cleave

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Completely off topic and as a Mod, I should know better but, I've got to ask - Musician, did you go to Chippy school?

Jethro hows your weather? still got sleet by you also? My temp seems to be climbing slightly here i just hope is is just a blip and it will fall again later. 3.0c

Posted

Its been 3.1°c here for over an hour now nothing changing at all not even humidity well was 97% now 98%.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Temp dropping about 0.2C an hour here, (3.1C at the mo) winds 4knots from the E and the rain has turned to drizzle. Although the poor girl delivering the Tesco shopping did resemble a drowned rat. That and all the drinkies for New Years Eve being rather heavy! :unknw:

It's not as 'warm' here as I was expecting going by the forecasts for yesterday showing 10c for Exeter, I know I have some height, but 7C difference? I think not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Beautiful day here - leaden skies, raw wind and light drizzle and 2.5C.

Posted

Bit of heavy PPN about to hit us, if its sleet I will be happy, atleast things are on the right track

I think it's stopped moving North...good news if so I think..

stops any more warm air moving up..

we should see I hope colder air sliding in with the warm air in later hrs I think.

then snow I think...or a let down...but I reckon it's still looking good

then hopefully the Streamer effect

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Jethro hows your weather? still got sleet by you also? My temp seems to be climbing slightly here i just hope is is just a blip and it will fall again later. 3.0c

Hi Mullender,

It's currently doing nothing at all, we had a burst about an hour ago which was a bit sleety but that's it. Temp is stuck at 2.5, has been for a while now. MET say heavy snow for Bristol at 3 then heavy rain at 6, so if we do get anything I don't think it will hang around for long.

Those of us who are a bit longer in the tooth than some of you youngsters will remember many snowy spells which started as rain, so don't despair if you're North of the M4 and it's currently raining. If it's heavy enough, it will settle and accumulate on the wettest of ground - honest.