Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

Latest warning from the MET for Sunday, I thought we where to stay dry for the next fortnight??

Northern Ireland: Co Antrim Co Armagh Co Derry Co Down Co Fermanagh Co TyroneHeavy SnowSun 10 JanThere is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting many parts of Northern Ireland, Wales and much of England.

There is potential for further outbreaks of snow, which could locally become heavy and prolonged at times. This will lead to further icy stretches on roads and pavements.

Not sure where you got that from, it was certainly to remain mostly dry up till the weekend with winds from a north easterly or easterly direction.

Into the weekend and with the weather systems approaching from the Atlantic this will turn the winds more south easterly, setting up snow streamers from the Irish sea. A similar event around this time two years ago gave me a foot of snow overnight.

I am surprised that the weather warning covers all of NI, as it would primarily be a County Down event in my opinion, however if the wind is strong enough it may drive showers further inland.

Received a very surprising inch of snow this afternoon, completely unforecast, so may be catch a few more showers before Sunday.

Currently -1oC. Hard frost tonight. Snow level 6 cm.

Posted

Dublin at a stanstill been sent home from work,what a great feeling this is,brings me back to school days.lol

What a day,never thought i would be this happy considering nothing this morning,then two massive snow falls

Been waiting for this for years

Makes model watching worthwile.

A epic winters day

Edited by cold snap

Posted

Not sure where you got that from, it was certainly to remain mostly dry up till the weekend with winds from a north easterly or easterly direction.

Into the weekend and with the weather systems approaching from the Atlantic this will turn the winds more south easterly, setting up snow streamers from the Irish sea. A similar event around this time two years ago gave me a foot of snow overnight.

I am surprised that the weather warning covers all of NI, as it would primarily be a County Down event in my opinion, however if the wind is strong enough it may drive showers further inland.

Received a very surprising inch of snow this afternoon, completely unforecast, so may be catch a few more showers before Sunday.

Currently -1oC. Hard frost tonight. Snow level 6 cm.

Like I said from the Met Office - don't believe it myself but its there for all to see, will probably be a downgrade regarding this

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Hefty snow shower for about 40 minutes between 11am and Midday. Left another CM/2 ontop of the inch of graupel. All main routes clear here, street roads coated in compact snow and ice, very slippy. Max today was 1.8c, currently -0.4c. Been dry since this morning, not looking like anything else until Sunday, BUT, hence is the surprise in these spells, anything can happen.

Sunday looked mad on BBC weather.....a huge 200mile (in diameter) swathe of heavy snow blanketing 50% of the UK. Didn't see it over here though.

Posted

Left Coleraine and it was +3c in the car. Got home and it was -3c in the car.

No snow all day in Coleraine.

Roads thick with it here in Ballyclare! Good inch and half fell. Gritted roads still clogged with it! driving is getting very dangerous now.

Third time shovelling the driveway clear in 36 hrs! One thing this is I will be as fit as a fiddle!

ITV going for a dumping in NI on Sunday but BBC DIdn't mention it at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Just looking at the charts, I'm going to make an all out prediction and say that tommorow morning will herald a surprise snowfall for the East coast again, just like this mornings fall.

Posted

just home from work and car thermometer reading -6c! surely a mistake? hardly any thaw here today again. snow on the ground is like icing sugar its so dry. just a fantastic spell of weather.

Posted

just home from work and car thermometer reading -6c! surely a mistake? hardly any thaw here today again. snow on the ground is like icing sugar its so dry. just a fantastic spell of weather.

Ma not be far off the mark! I'm -3.4c at present and some may get lower than -10 tonight! :)

Posted

Just back from walking the dog - it is bitter out there, like you say Big Lad the new snow in the is like icing sugar. The ice on my road is unreal yet after ringing and requesting grit for the past 3 weeks still got nada from the road service, they are forever putting me on their"list"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Heard reports of thundersnow in Dublin via Today FM. anyone in Dublin care to confirm?

over here in Basingstoke its been 24 hours non-stop snow and there's more coming. if you're flying to a UK airport please do check before you travel. you might end up being stuck at the airport on the UK side (assuming your plane actually gets here..)

Hi,

Yes thundersnow at about 3pm. a magical day here in dublin with 3" of snow in my area

Posted

Picked up several inches of snowfall here today!

Fantastic conditions. Many roads now blocked however which is very dangerous, thick covering of snow everywhere with a hard freeze underway.

Truly fantastic weather though! A throwback to the top classic winters of old.

SA :good:

Posted

what a day in naas today and it lashed maybe 2" top up .hard drive home to laois but great to see snow here as well . now i can say this is a great spell of weather. looks good for on sunday.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

snow band ment to be coming down here tonight then tomorrow amassive polar low band coming down! -5.4c here currently....... and -6c is possible...... saw that place pomroy on bbc news yesterday:whistling:

Posted

Hi,

Yes thundersnow at about 3pm. a magical day here in dublin with 3" of snow in my area

Glad to hear you finally got some John,up here we are getting regular top-ups-and we have had about an inch in the last hour or so after a mainly dry day-we must have a level foot by now and walking and driving is not that easy. I trust you are well and had a great New Year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Glad to hear you finally got some John,up here we are getting regular top-ups-and we have had about an inch in the last hour or so after a mainly dry day-we must have a level foot by now and walking and driving is not that easy. I trust you are well and had a great New Year.

Hi Mike,

You always keep an eye out for me, much appreciated, ( Tried to send you a pm but some issue, maybe your inbox is full)

The snow here today is like icing on a Christmas cake and is beautiful, I know it brings problems but we have been waiting for wintry conditions for years and at last "Global Warming" :unknw: has produced a classic.

I am so pleased that you have so much snow. Remember to keep your records for this classic and we can talk about it for years to come.

Next snowfall is expected here Sun/Mon, I am really getting greedy :yahoo:

Edited by John Cox

Posted

snow band ment to be coming down here tonight then tomorrow amassive polar low band coming down! -5.4c here currently....... and -6c is possible...... saw that place pomroy on bbc news yesterday:whistling:

Ahem its Pomeroy thank you, it was interesting that the BBC didn't come out into my area of the country, that said they wouldn't have got their van up my road! Did anyone see the wingnuts walking, quad biking and driving cars onto Lough fea outside Lissan in tonights news?

Posted

Ahem its Pomeroy thank you, it was interesting that the BBC didn't come out into my area of the country, that said they wouldn't have got their van up my road! Did anyone see the wingnuts walking, quad biking and driving cars onto Lough fea outside Lissan in tonights news?

Yes! Wingnuts is the best description! :fool:

Some showers moving through from the NNW direction!

Frosty? You get anything?

Edited by Baltic Regions

Posted

And finally the snow has arrived :o . 2-3cm received here in East Belfast. A nippy -7C outside already :o .

Posted

Light snow here in Derry. Its so cold outside at the minute that anything that is falling is giving a slight covering. This cold spell really is fantastic! Doesn't seem to want to let go! Can anybody shed any light on sundays event or is it to far out to nail anything on the head yet?

Posted

Flash Warning for tonight for snow from the Meto

Local areas affectedWarning typeValid fromValid toNorthern Ireland: Co Antrim Co Armagh Co Derry Co Down Co Fermanagh Co TyroneWidespread Icy Roads1200 Wed 61200 Thu 7Widespread ice will affect many untreated roads and pavements in Northern Ireland during the next 24 hours. Occasional snow showers are likely too, but it will remain dry for much of the time.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to Traffic Watch (NI) (operational hours 07.30 to 18.30 Mon to Fri) for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 1134 Wed 6 Jan

Northern Ireland: Co Antrim Co Derry Co TyroneHeavy Snow0001 Thu 71200 Thu 7Scattered snow showers can be expected overnight and during Thursday morning with accumulations of 5 to 10cm in places.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to Traffic Watch (NI) (operational hours 07.30 to 18.30 Mon to Fri) for further advice on road conditions.