Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

1.5c and snowing. Getting a grip easily on the practical zero thaw from last night.

I got the brush out and cleared the drive first thing this morning to help stop the impacted ice in a few days time.

So a very clever man with a snow scoop walk up and down the street clearing two tyre tracks for the car this morning.

My car did pretty well in the snow today Rear wheel drive and wide tyres!) and only did the sliding about thing when I tried to get back into the driveway this evening!

Agree with earlier posts, this really has been a very special winter seasons so far!

Chucking down right now! :clap:

Nothing here in Antrim apart from crystal clear skies.

Beats the mild/drizzly muck of recent winters

Zero thaw today yet again, becoming an exceptional cold spell despite the lack of deep snow in this neck of the woods.

Posted
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland
  • Weather Preferences: Storm-force northeasterly(with a high tide!).Blizzards.Sunny summer

again for us down here in laois going to be another snow free nite can anyone give me some good news .all i want is a few cms for the kids to play in and mewallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

As the wind goes more to the NE tomorrow showers may push inland, but probably won't amount to much as they lose the convection of the rising air over the relatively warm sea. What you really need is a developing low centre, potent showery trough and/or a frontal system embedded in this cold air, but those events are rare, even in a lengthy cold spell.

That is what is hitting Britain today and onwards, and it's a very unusual event. Otherwise it's nearly all favoured coastal areas and Ulster and North Connaught (because of mostly north winds).

I'm surprised you didn't get snow there from the prolonged frontal activity in the lead up to New Year's Eve?? Keep an eye on the charts for the weekend and next week, it's possible that developing northeasterly might push showery troughs well inland, if it strengthens enough/becomes potent enough.

Beyond that at some stage there's going to be at least a battle ground situation with Atlantic fronts coming up against the very cold air over Ireland and you've a great chance of a big snow then, better than coastal places and places further north/northwest.

Edited by Altohumorous

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Evening folks.

Last night we had a heavy snow shower at around midnight, left a 1cm covering....it remained bone dry until 6am when I was awoken by a heavy graupel shower that lasted for around 40 minutes.....this left about an inch of graupel ontop of the snow. It has remained all day in my area and has compacted, even though temps reached a max of 2.8c today. Currently 2.2c, last nights min was 0.4c

A streamer looks to have developed in the Antrim area lately, don't know if this is still going or not....

Looking to remain dry and very cold for another 10 days.

Posted

As the wind goes more to the NE tomorrow showers may push inland, but probably won't amount to much as they lose the convection of the rising air over the relatively warm sea. What you really need is a developing low centre, potent showery trough and/or a frontal system embedded in this cold air, but those events are rare, even in a lengthy cold spell.

That is what is hitting Britain today and onwards, and it's a very unusual event. Otherwise it's nearly all favoured coastal areas and Ulster and North Connaught (because of mostly north winds).

I'm surprised you didn't get snow there from the prolonged frontal activity in the lead up to New Year's Eve?? Keep an eye on the charts for the weekend and next week, it's possible that developing northeasterly might push showery troughs well inland, if it strengthens enough/becomes potent enough.

Beyond that at some stage there's going to be at least a battle ground situation with Atlantic fronts coming up against the very cold air over Ireland and you've a great chance of a big snow then, better than coastal places and places further north/northwest.

thanks for that not holding out much hope we had a few flakes new years thats all .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm-force northeasterly(with a high tide!).Blizzards.Sunny summer

First concern of night

Temp fine BUT showers are taking a South Dublin route at the minute,hope things change

East Wicklow and most of Wexford certainly going to get the best of this, then Southeast Dublin next best. Howth peninsula should do best of north Dublin, hopefully northeaast Dublin generally will get a few decent showers, and coastal Meath and Louth (southern part at least) should get a bit. Later tonight and during tomorrow looking best as winds go more NE, until the instability dies down later tomorrow

Posted

Evening folks.

Last night we had a heavy snow shower at around midnight, left a 1cm covering....it remained bone dry until 6am when I was awoken by a heavy graupel shower that lasted for around 40 minutes.....this left about an inch of graupel ontop of the snow. It has remained all day in my area and has compacted, even though temps reached a max of 2.8c today. Currently 2.2c, last nights min was 0.4c

A streamer looks to have developed in the Antrim area lately, don't know if this is still going or not....

Looking to remain dry and very cold for another 10 days.

It's still going and i'm right in the middle of it and lying in its direct course from start to finish! Giving us a very good top-up that will have me up again in the morning with the brush!

Seen Pomeroy made it on the UTV news tonight as the highest town up here! Hardy buch from that neck of the woods!

Edited by Baltic Regions

Posted

East Wicklow and most of Wexford certainly going to get the best of this, then Southeast Dublin next best. Howth peninsula should do best of north Dublin, hopefully northeaast Dublin generally will get a few decent showers, and coastal Meath and Louth (southern part at least) should get a bit. Later tonight and during tomorrow looking best as winds go more NE, until the instability dies down later tomorrow

Clouding over in Dublin cc.fingers crossed

Posted

It's still going and i'm right in the middle of it and lying in its direct course from start to finish! Giving us a very good top-up that will have me up again in the morning with the brush!

Seen Pomeroy made it on the UTV news tonight as the highest town up here! Hardy buch from that neck of the woods!

A good sign to say the least, this puts everything in a different perspective when you know there's enough instability around.

I see Netweather have current conditions as "Snowing in Belfast", they must see potential for Convective Showers in the East and North East.

Posted

Hail/snow mix right on the coast - Sure mile inland would say was def falling as snow. Left a tricky coverin of hail sure be a bit hazardous later when it freezes

Posted

Showers slipping south just to the east of us (the edge of the nimbus right over where I am). Have to keep the faith! I'd say nearby coastal spots, headlands & Howth Pen are having snow and hail right now.

RTE 9.30 forecast just predicted "showers of rain, sleet and snow"!! :blush: Can't believe it's not snow, temps forecast to be no more than zero or 1 on the coast, bizarre. It was hardly any colder than this or any different when we got the snow on New Year's Eve.

Will be truly hard to stomach if we finally get a few potent and/or frequent showers and it turns out to be rain or sleet :cray:

Hmmm, just been reading reports from some East and Northeast parts of England, apparently some milder air has fed in, temps gone above zero, showers gone more sleety, snow on the ground even thawing in places.

Looks like this could be one of the famous big last minute letdowns alright <_<

I could understand if the low was more extensive, and if the very coldest air was over the west, but they show western areas around zero or just above tonight too.

Makes one wonder, what will it take to get temperatures low enough in precipitation to have more chance of snow? I guess this is the big difference between the modern climate and 20-40 years ago. Just a degree or two, but enough to have a big impact, even in ideal synoptical conditions.

We need sea temperatures to fall off by another couple of degrees, which means end of the month at earliest

Edited by Altohumorous

Posted

Very heavy snow here for the past 30 minutes, lying deep on top of last night's lighter load. This is the heaviest fall here for a few years. I'm hoping other parts get their share too!

Posted

Showers slipping south just to the east of us (the edge of the nimbus right over where I am). Have to keep the faith! I'd say nearby coastal spots, headlands & Howth Pen are having snow and hail right now.

RTE 9.30 forecast just predicted "showers of rain, sleet and snow"!! nonono.gif Can't believe it's not snow, temps forecast to be no more than zero or 1 on the coast, bizarre. It was hardly any colder than this or any different when we got the snow on New Year's Eve.

Will be truly hard to stomach if we finally get a few potent and/or frequent showers and it turns out to be rain or sleet cray.gif

Hmmm, just been reading reports from some East and Northeast parts of England, apparently some milder air has fed in, temps gone above zero, showers gone more sleety, snow on the ground even thawing in places.

Looks like this could be one of the famous big last minute letdowns alright wallbash.gif

I could understand if the low was more extensive, and if the very coldest air was over the west, but they show western areas around zero or just above tonight too.

Makes one wonder, what will it take to get temperatures low enough in precipitation to have more chance of snow? I guess this is the big difference between the modern climate and 20-40 years ago. Just a degree or two, but enough to have a big impact, even in ideal synoptical conditions.

We need sea temperatures to fall off by another couple of degrees, which means end of the month at earliest

There are various factors that are required for precipitation to fall as snow, not just surface and air temps....upper temperatures, dew point, Heights.....I have seen drizzle at -5c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Evening Folks

Was watching the raintoday radar earlier and thought - bone dry for the remainder of the forecast period. Then some very small showers over the Irish Sea developed and started to push onto the coast and inland. A mix of snow/hail. Topped up the covering which didnt melt today. However now the wind has really picked up from calm to strong and the temp is sitting at 1.9C. The saving grace for the lack of snow melt is the dew point which is -1.2C. Very strange conditions considering the temp was to drop to -5C tonight.

Any thoughts on whats happening anyone????:)

Posted

Evening Folks

Was watching the raintoday radar earlier and thought - bone dry for the remainder of the forecast period. Then some very small showers over the Irish Sea developed and started to push onto the coast and inland. A mix of snow/hail. Topped up the covering which didnt melt today. However now the wind has really picked up from calm to strong and the temp is sitting at 1.9C. The saving grace for the lack of snow melt is the dew point which is -1.2C. Very strange conditions considering the temp was to drop to -5C tonight.

Any thoughts on whats happening anyone????cc_confused.gif

Possibly the -10 uppers are pushing over the Irish sea and with the NEsterly coming from the Stranraer area its a lengthened sea track, thus convection occuring over the Irish sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

RTE 9.30 forecast just predicted "showers of rain, sleet and snow"!! :shok: Can't believe it's not snow, temps forecast to be no more than zero or 1 on the coast, bizarre. It was hardly any colder than this or any different when we got the snow on New Year's Eve.

Will be truly hard to stomach if we finally get a few potent and/or frequent showers and it turns out to be rain or sleet :D

It wont be rain!!!

Too long in the tooth for that type of rot:whistling:. Was out today and what a chill.

Dew point -3C.

Nerves need to be kept in check

Lets wait patiently. Snow lying here for a few days now and going nowhere!!

A little top up would be nice

Posted

Possibly the -10 uppers are pushing over the Irish sea and with the NEsterly coming from the Stranraer area its a lengthened sea track, thus convection occuring over the Irish sea.

Watcher

The Irish Sea has been good in the past for convection especially 2 yrs ago I believe it was for Belfast and Co.Down, however very few forecasts if any I have seen gave any shower activity away from the North Coast which I found surprising given there was an easterly component to the current wind direction. Looking at the radar now though those 2 distinct bands have moved SW and there is no more shower activity to speak of on the radar. Temp down slightly to 1.7C and the dew point has dropped further to -1.7C so definately no thawing.

Posted

Watcher

The Irish Sea has been good in the past for convection especially 2 yrs ago I believe it was for Belfast and Co.Down, however very few forecasts if any I have seen gave any shower activity away from the North Coast which I found surprising given there was an easterly component to the current wind direction. Looking at the radar now though those 2 distinct bands have moved SW and there is no more shower activity to speak of on the radar. Temp down slightly to 1.7C and the dew point has dropped further to -1.7C so definately no thawing.

Had a look at radar there now, it seems that some unstable air crossed Scotland, grew stronger over the Irish sea and then headed inland, but not a streamer.

Posted

RTE 9.30 forecast just predicted "showers of rain, sleet and snow"!! :p Can't believe it's not snow, temps forecast to be no more than zero or 1 on the coast, bizarre. It was hardly any colder than this or any different when we got the snow on New Year's Eve.

Will be truly hard to stomach if we finally get a few potent and/or frequent showers and it turns out to be rain or sleet :cray:

Looks like this could be one of the famous big last minute letdowns alright :p

It's -2 C at the moment in Dublin. It's truly bitterly cold - I was out walking earlier without a hat and my ears are numb. I'd be surprised if anything other than snow fell.

Let's hope it doesn't just stay dry though!

By the way, friends of mine who live in south Dublin have just told me it's snowing there. It's dry here in northwest Dublin where I am though.

Edited by fear sneachta

Posted

Very heavy snow here for the past 30 minutes, lying deep on top of last night's lighter load. This is the heaviest fall here for a few years. I'm hoping other parts get their share too!

can see your shower well on nw radar. looks very potent. just not gonna come far enough west to give me another top up!

Posted

There are various factors that are required for precipitation to fall as snow, not just surface and air temps....upper temperatures, dew point, Heights.....I have seen drizzle at -5c.

I do understand that, but this is not at all that type of weather, it's potent quite convective type with an Arctic airmass, a very good combination for snow. I presume what I'm saying in more technical speak is that the dew points in this kind of set up should be excellent.

I am aware that snow can fall at air temps above zero, and rain below. Having said that, the colder the air temps overall is always good (if the instability exists).

Scattered clouds at the moment, but no sign of showers. The earlier activity showed up on the radar as having formed suddenly just off the coast. Surprised it didn't develop further, but must be potential.

Alot of shower activity across northern England, Scotland, even North Wales, so hopes remain high.

Edited by Altohumorous

Posted

Had a look at radar there now, it seems that some unstable air crossed Scotland, grew stronger over the Irish sea and then headed inland, but not a streamer.

Any thought's for the rest of the week and into the weekend? ECM and UKMO seem very interested an a potent Easterly. GFS not so keen more a NE. Snow wise im not so sure for our locations either is of much use.

Posted

Any thought's for the rest of the week and into the weekend? ECM and UKMO seem very interested an a potent Easterly. GFS not so keen more a NE. Snow wise im not so sure for our locations either is of much use.

An Easterly for us is no good unless its an unstable event and not a HP overhead event. Its looks like High Pressure will build over the coming days just to our North and centre over Scotland by Saturday, so apart from the SE and London area, it'll be very cold and dry for the rest of week. But still, showers are not ruled out for coastal areas.

In saying that, air over the next 36 hours remains unstable enough for the chance of some shower activity, but mostly around coasts exposed to the NE/N wind.