Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

Met Eireann are saying this will fall as rain tomorrow.

And Wednesday's previously forecasted snow event has been pushed to Thursday.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

No harm to met eirann, but the only areas with a chance of seeing Rain from tommorow nights band are the Far SW of Ireland, all the factors are in favour of snow. -5 uppers, 528dam or less, oc Isotherm at 500 - 0...apart from of course the far SW. I haven't looked at DPs yet, might be possible that these are the culprit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

just watched the rte farming weather for the week ahead, it was pretty good, presented by gerry murphy. a good bit of snow forecast for tomorrow night, especially in northern parts. best wintry forecast i have seen by met eireann. -8c tonight, temps no higher than 1 or 2c all week. sleet and snow showers nearcoasts all week, ice frost, perma frost during the day. it was impressive to say the least. :D

Posted

just watched the rte farming weather for the week ahead, it was pretty good, presented by gerry murphy. a good bit of snow forecast for tomorrow night, especially in northern parts. best wintry forecast i have seen by met eireann. -8c tonight, temps no higher than 1 or 2c all week. sleet and snow showers nearcoasts all week, ice frost, perma frost during the day. it was impressive to say the least. :winky:

Met Eireann's website isn't saying there will be snow tomorrow, but rather rain. What did RTE say about tomorrow?

Posted

Met Eireann's website isn't saying there will be snow tomorrow, but rather rain. What did RTE say about tomorrow?

MOSTLY snow showers pushing down on a northerly wind tomorrow evening/night. the northgetting the heaviest of the snow.

Posted

Light/moderate snow has been falling for about two hours. Seems very localised and i've no idea why or how it keeps coming.

Currently +1oC, dew point 0oC. Snow depth-3cm, hard frosty underneath.

Monday night still looks good and even with the brief warm uppers (still around -5oC), snow is still likely.

After this passes through, unlikely I will see anything for the rest of the week, so I hope it's a good dumping.

Posted

Light/moderate snow has been falling for about two hours. Seems very localised and i've no idea why or how it keeps coming.

Currently +1oC, dew point 0oC. Snow depth-3cm, hard frosty underneath.

Monday night still looks good and even with the brief warm uppers (still around -5oC), snow is still likely.

After this passes through, unlikely I will see anything for the rest of the week, so I hope it's a good dumping.

I've been right on the edge of that shower, hoping that it would come over this way, but no luck. Seems to be moving very slowly west.

Posted

It's gas! There's hardly any discussion on the Ireland thread - that's because there isn't much to talk about!!

It's just bitterly cold and dry and not a huge prospect of any real snow for any of us!

Meanwhile, in England's southeast, they are bracing themselves for 2 feet of snow between Wednesday and Friday! :)

Edited by fear sneachta

Posted

The weather really is depressing at the minute. Can't really complain about the past 2 weeks as near enough every day has been an ice day. Just a pitty that theres nothing substanial on the way for us!!

Posted

top of the evening!

Top of the evening to you too, a chara! :drinks:

The weather really is depressing at the minute. Can't really complain about the past 2 weeks as near enough every day has been an ice day.

Although, who wants ice really? Bitterly cold and icy weather for 2 weeks and not much to show for it in snow terms...it's all rather tedious.

I'm now hoping for the mild weather to come back, to be quite frank. Come on Atlantic!!

Edited by fear sneachta

Posted

outside temp -2.0c, maxed out at 0.8c, ice and frost persisted in the shade. beautiful sunny day. becoming very frosty now. :D

Posted

countyfile weather just on now and remaining very cold til end of week at least. cold enough for snow but precip looks to be in short supply.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

In my personal opinion, we seem to be getting a bit anxious in here.

24 hours ahead I think we'll be watching the radar in excitement as the front moves South. *waggles finger* Just wait and see how much convection occurs after the front passes, -10 uppers over Irish and North Sea, there WILL be precipitation around.

Posted

Agreed Watcher!

Lets just sit back and watch what happens. Was up at my in-laws today. (6 miles up into the country and the roads are still inches deep with impacted ice still! Grit is in short supply up there.

Currently -3.1 here and had a very light Graupel shower earlier.

This is defintley what I would call a winter compared to what we have been having lately. I know some would like to see 6 ft of snow outside but that would be serious stuff with major implications.

I have seen the archive news papers from early sixties where the police had to co-ordinate food drops to farms in the Antrim area because they were completely cut off and had been for some time. Not sure If I really want to see that because it won't just be for a day or two.

Did you here about the folks who celebrated new years in the highest pub in England and when they went to come home they couldn't. Turned into a 3 day affair! :p:p

Posted

hi all new to this from laois and sick of ice and no snow lets hope this week might bring some.

hi gazza. welcome to the forum. yeah pretty much lots of ice and frost around, lets hope we get a bit of snow tomorrow night as said bt met eireann earlier. :p

Posted

Current BBC forecast is looking good for all day tomorrow with showers pushing in from the NW. We seem to do beeter from this direction but i'll not be getting too exited yet until it happens as last thursday and friday we were forecast sleet and snow but all we got was rain. Waiting on the BBC newsline forecast now at 22.45. Hopefully its good news as the main BBC weather always puts the emphasis on England and Scotland!

Posted

GFS 18z says YES to snow showers tomorrow before the front moves south, notice on the FAXES that the warm front is to the west and not that important. Showers to follow on behind the front also.

Could be a good day tomorrow.

Currently iced up here at -3.5oC. Dew Point -5oC

Posted

Tomorrow does look good for showers. lets hope it doesn't change and give us rain at the last minute.

Weather Advisory

04/01/2010

Possible heavy snow

Snow showers may affect parts of Northern Ireland early tomorrow morning and continue into the evening. 2 - 5 cm is likely in some areas with more over high ground. Travel disruption is likely.

Further updates will appear here unless surpassed by flash or severe warnings.

Posted

Tomorrow does look good for showers. lets hope it doesn't change and give us rain at the last minute.

Weather Advisory

04/01/2010

Possible heavy snow

Snow showers may affect parts of Northern Ireland early tomorrow morning and continue into the evening. 2 - 5 cm is likely in some areas with more over high ground. Travel disruption is likely.

Further updates will appear here unless surpassed by flash or severe warnings.

Where is that warning from Jello? Nothing on Met Office?

Winds have turned northerly and ppn beginning to trigger off the North Coast.