Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

just back from leavin missus to work and we have over an inch of fluffy dry snow. car temp -3c. still snowing moderately on and off on way back. roads around monaghan town are the worst theyve been during this cold snap.

Posted

Had a snow shower round 4am which left about 1cm snow on frozen ground.....roads are lethal tho i did see one gritter during the night.

Spent last week in Austria & i have to say its a lot colder here than it was there :good::D

Posted

about an inch and a half here last nite in total. fantastic powder snow. cars cant make it up the hill outside my house.

Posted

Really pathetic here in Derry! Woke up to a dusting of snow & graupal and to add to it the road service has come in and griited our whole estate which is never done. What was an icey wonderland for the past 2 weeks has now turned into slushy crap! What happened the heavy snow we were supposed to get this morning! Not a happy person! Taking a run up to the Glenshane this morning with the dog so i'll have some photos later.

Posted

What happened the heavy snow we were supposed to get this morning! Not a happy person!

It has missed you and is hitting Donegal right now, judging from the latest radar!

Posted
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland
  • Weather Preferences: Storm-force northeasterly(with a high tide!).Blizzards.Sunny summer

Watching the radar there at 12, we just missed heavy showers by a whisker, slipped south down the Irish Sea, just off the coast - some high intensity colours in them - what a waste!

Posted

Received another 2cm overnight, giving 5cm in places. Very very icy. That is our lot for the foreseeable future.

Yeah, outlook is for extreme cold but bone dry conditions apart from coastal locations.

Dammit!

Off topic but southern counties in england look like taking a real hammering today...30-40 cms according to Metalert :wallbash:

Posted

Watching the radar there at 12, we just missed heavy showers by a whisker, slipped south down the Irish Sea, just off the coast - some high intensity colours in them - what a waste!

Let them stay out there! :pardon:

If the winds go slightly easterly a thaw will set in by the coast, and my temps will probably hover at +2C, or thereabouts, all night! :angry:

Seriously though, this morning's GFS had the winds tuning more to the NE than previously forecast, for tonight and tomorrow, so there may be some more showers for Irish Sea Coasts. However, unless they produce heavy snow, as opposed to graupel or hail, then I wont be interested.

Edited by DaBrigg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm-force northeasterly(with a high tide!).Blizzards.Sunny summer

Let them stay out there! :drinks:

If the winds go slightly easterly a thaw will set in by the coast, and my temps will probably hover at +2C, or thereabouts, all night! :crazy:

Seriously though, this morning's GFS had the winds tuning more to the NE than previously forecast, for tonight and tomorrow, so there may be some more showers for Irish Sea Coasts. However, unless they produce heavy snow, as opposed to graupel or hail, then I wont be interested.

Blasphemer!

I'll take ANYTHING wintery, cold slut that I am. Well, so rare has it been in the past 15-20 years..........

There won't be much of a thaw with this wind, it's a penetrating Arctic airmass, it's already quite strong and even with that the temperature didnt rise above zero. The showers look to be of the heavy/intense/somewhat convective in nature, always a good sign for snow possibility, and very heavy hail. And that in itself will help drag the temps down a degree.

Indeed the forecast, even from Met Eireann since this a/m, has been for increased shower activity in the east tonight and tomorrow. So we should be expectant, it could be the main event of this cold spell, or even the whole winter.

Looks like parts of West Connaught, Clare and North/West Kerry got some heavy showers today, the mountains in those areas have had the most snow they have probably had in at least a generation.

It was interesting to note, from looking at the radar, that the showers, quite intense-looking, made it across the (very mountainy) Dingle peninsula, and then across the (very mountainy) Iveragh peninsula, then died out before hitting the Beara Peninsula. That part of West Cork seems to be one of the most sheltered parts of the whole country.

Mind you, over Christmas/New Year I was there (in Castletownbere) and experienced a ferocious storm of win and rain and sleet that lasted 2 days and three nights. And that was with east winds!

Lads and lasses, hope yis will add yer snow and frost and ice and fog pics from around the country to the picture thread on this site! This is a very historical event, it's heading to equal the cold spells of 84/85, and 81/82, surpassing 83/84, and 85/86, and could soon be approaching 78/79 (if it lasts til the end of this month at least)

Posted

I agree, this spell has been almost unprecedented! It also seems to have come out of the blue. I dont remember any longer term forecasts going for anything like this.

However, from a very selfish local point of view, I STILL have not yet seen a proper covering of actual snow, deeper than 1cm, and lasting more than a couple of hours, since FEB 1991!

Any snow since then has either thawed after a few hours, or has only amounted to a slight dusting at best. Most of the showers in the early February cold snap produced rain here. That is why Im a little cynical at times about these things. :lol:

Any heavy showers drifting in from the Irish Sea would be great if you want a covering of snow, provided you dont live within half a mile of a northeast facing coast! :(

Edited by DaBrigg

Posted

I agree, this spell has been almost unprecedented! It also seems to have come out of the blue. I dont remember any longer term forecasts going for anything like this.

However, from a very selfish local point of view, I STILL have not yet seen a proper covering of actual snow, deeper than 1cm, and lasting more than a couple of hours, since FEB 1991!

Any snow since then has either thawed after a few hours, or has only amounted to a slight dusting at best. Most of the showers in the early February cold snap produced rain here. That is why Im a little cynical at times about these things. pardon.gif

Any heavy showers drifting in from the Irish Sea would be great if you want a covering of snow, provided you dont live within half a mile of a northeast facing coast! cool.gif

Was just about write something similar to this,Brilliant post

Another Ice day.if we get anymore snow or not this has been very special.

Hoping for good convection tonight.

Edited by cold snap

Posted

out for a walk now and zero thaw of last nites snow. light snow shower on and off for last 30 mins. alot windier this evening too and biting cold. winter wonderland outside.

Posted

Currently snowing lightly here which is covering cars etc.. again although there's been very little thaw since last night.

Posted

1.5c and snowing. Getting a grip easily on the practical zero thaw from last night.

I got the brush out and cleared the drive first thing this morning to help stop the impacted ice in a few days time.

So a very clever man with a snow scoop walk up and down the street clearing two tyre tracks for the car this morning.

My car did pretty well in the snow today Rear wheel drive and wide tyres!) and only did the sliding about thing when I tried to get back into the driveway this evening!

Agree with earlier posts, this really has been a very special winter seasons so far!

Chucking down right now! :cold: