Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland
  • Weather Preferences: Storm-force northeasterly(with a high tide!).Blizzards.Sunny summer
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland

We are at 1.3c and a dense fog! :wallbash:

Sounds like the warm sector, 1.3 is pretty ok for a warm sector! Shouldn't last long before the cold front.......

Edited by Altohumorous

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Folks

For those who have had alot of snow and freezing temps through this cold spell, happy days. Here, temps havent for whatever reason gone quite as low as predicted over the period and in comparison to other areas. I can certainly remember colder ! Snow has been restricted to one fall on the Sat nite b4 Christmas. Hardly a classic by any stretch of the imagination ! Considering this was the coldest Dec in 30yrs it was very dry and snow events were unfortunately the wrong side of marginal most of the time due to warm sector formation on troughs moving south. Sea surface temps are below normal, upper air temps have been very low so for some parts of the province and im sure down south to date this has been a disappointment. Just my thoughts !!

Edited by johnny1972

Posted

We are at 1.3c and a dense fog! unsure.gif

Same here Baltic, fog hasn't lifted yet and its defo not freezing yet?

I had to laugh at the UTV and BBC weather forecasts after their respective news tonight UTV put the Snow risk for tomorrow for Northern & Eastern areas while BBC went for Northern and western!!!

I wonder who will be right?

Hi Ronan if you are on I was working in Derry today and on my way home I happened to look at the river, its seemed to be freezing in parts or am I going mad, maybe it was exposed sand banks at lower levels I seen which had frosted over??

Edited by Pomeroysnow

Posted

Folks

For those who have had alot of snow and freezing temps through this cold spell, happy days. Here, temps havent for whatever reason gone quite as low as predicted over the period and in comparison to other areas. I can certainly remember colder ! Snow has been restricted to one fall on the Sat nite b4 Christmas. Hardly a classic by any stretch of the imagination ! Considering this was the coldest Dec in 30yrs it was very dry and snow events were unfortunately the wrong side of marginal most of the time due to warm sector formation on troughs moving south. Sea surface temps are below normal, upper air temps have been very low so for some parts of the province and im sure down south to date this has been a disappointment. Just my thoughts !!

Been exactly the same here across the Lough. Looking okay atm though. Showers seem to be nice and heavy moving in from the North. Only really expecting a slight dusting though.

Posted

Lack of posts suggest that the front moving south is more of rain, or is everyone out building a snowman?

Posted

Bitter day here in Dublin temperature below freezing allday.light snow flurries last night

Temp now is 0 degress so we are going to be hard pushed to see snow if any arrives later i think.

Still possible would like to see us go -2

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

just had a heavy snow shower in moira. looks like there's more to come!

Moira is that outside garvagh?im near there.... Anyway snow shower smashed against window 5mins ago hopefully tomorrows polar low will be giving us 15cm would love tomorrow off!!

Posted

Good heavy snow started here! <_<

Nice covering already. I'm off to bed because Im up and on the go before seven!

Good luck and happy lamp post watching!

Heavy snow falling here now to and looks like more to come. ground well covered already !!

Posted

snowing very heavy here good few cm already huge flakes

recently issued

Flash Warning

Issued 23:00

Heavy snow

Northern and Eastern Parts

5 - 10 cm is expected widely during the next few hours. Travel disruption is likely. Stay tuned to tv and radio for latest weather and travel information

Edited by jello

Posted

Just haome from work and its really pelting it down outside with snow. Its a pity because all day there has been heavy sleet showers and only in the past hour has it started to turn to snow! Condition are really treachorous outside now as all the rain and sleet from earlier has frozen solid. Hope to have a nice covering by morning! Nice to see that some are seeing snow.

PS Pomeroysnow i haven't been near the Foyle lately but its surely been cold enough for some of it to freeze.

Edited by ronan

Posted

snowing very heavy here good few cm already huge flakes

recently issued

Flash Warning

Issued 23:00

Heavy snow

Northern and Eastern Parts

5 - 10 cm is expected widely during the next few hours. Travel disruption is likely. Stay tuned to tv and radio for latest weather and travel information

Hi Jello

Where did you get the warning from? Snow v light here now and almost stopped.

Posted

Hi Jello

Where did you get the warning from? Snow v light here now and almost stopped.

niweather.com

Posted

I suspect rain may cause more disruption than snow. The ground is so cold it will more or less freeze on impact.

Ill be watching the radar carefully, usually these features break up and fizzle out before making it this far south, leaving us bone dry. The BBC precipitation forecast suggests the front will still be still fairly active down here, so I expect to see something fall from the sky, whatever it may be.

Posted

Snowing moderately (in terms of density) but very steadily here, and lying well on the sharp frost. Was too warm in bed, got up, looked out and was pleasantly surprised!

Posted

Snowing moderately (in terms of density) but very steadily here, and lying well on the sharp frost. Was too warm in bed, got up, looked out and was pleasantly surprised!

It looks good on the radar, that heavy stuff is moving into Louth now from Armagh. If it holds together I should get something within the next hour or two. Looks like the heavy stuff might just miss me.

Posted

I suspect rain may cause more disruption than snow. The ground is so cold it will more or less freeze on impact.

Ill be watching the radar carefully, usually these features break up and fizzle out before making it this far south, leaving us bone dry. The BBC precipitation forecast suggests the front will still be still fairly active down here, so I expect to see something fall from the sky, whatever it may be.

I think it might be a weak affair by the time it reaches Dublin but hopefully not. I went for a walk earlier and everything is certainly frozen over. It's 0 degrees and I'd be surprised if the ppn fell as anything other than snow. Then again, I've seen rain fall on ice this winter already so my confidence is already shattered! :lol:

Edited by fear sneachta

Posted

Its started do something here, but I cant quite figure out if its light sleet or snow. Ill have to head out to have a closer look...

Its 0.7C here, just above sea level in North Co. Dublin. Unfortunately I have no idea what the dew point is at.

Posted

It's misty. That's probably what you're seeing.

Reports are coming in from Cavan and Monaghan that it's falling as light rain. :cold:

Maybe the dew points aren't low enough. But otherwise it's mystifying, as it's bloody cold out there!!

Anyway, I'm off to bed! :cold:

Edited by fear sneachta

Posted

Light sleet for about ten minutes, before turning to snow, its still snow lightly. The ground is now... slightly damp.

It's misty. That's probably what you're seeing.

Mist??? Whats that on the radar then.

Im 20 miles north of the city anyway, its not at Dublin city just yet.