Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland
  • Weather Preferences: Storm-force northeasterly(with a high tide!).Blizzards.Sunny summer
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland

So cold here tonight, -6 at the moment according to MetE. Must be well below -10 in places, such as Wicklow valleys, and inland frosty spots up north and nortwest. Sadly there never seem to be any recordings of temps from Wicklow valleys. "The coldest mountains in Ireland" as my Uncle often used to say! :lol:

Posted

Woke up this morning to nice white conditions. About 2cms on the ground and its just started snowing agin. I see on the BBC forecast that Woodford in Manchester has had thier coldest ever night with temps getting down to -18 which is exceptional! He also mentioned that theres no sign of an end to the cold spell until the middle of January. God knows what February will throw at us. Hopefull relentless north westerlies or northerlies :D:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

bitterly cold, dense freezing fog, severe frost and ice. outside temp -3.4c. overnight low -7.8c. :good:

Posted

no precip last nite but severe frost. local NRA weather station on N2 outside monaghan had a low of -10.8c.

Posted

Hi everyone,

Met Eireann are predicting that it will become somewhat milder in the south and east of Ireland next Monday. I'm just wondering what would be causing this and are the models supporting this theory?

This is their current outlook for Ireland:

On Friday night, occasional snow showers will persist in eastern coastal counties but the rest of the country will be dry with clear spells; severe or very severe ground frost will occur, along with widespread ice and some freezing fog patches. Eastern coastal counties will have further wintry showers during Saturday, many of them falling as snow inland from the Irish Sea. Other areas will be dry with sunny spells but extensive frost and ice will persist, together with local fog; winds will be light to moderate, northeasterly. Saturday night will see little change in wind or shower distribution but widespread severe or very severe ground frost will return; ice and freezing fog patches will be an ongoing problem. The overall northeasterly airflow will persist on Sunday, with fresher breezes near some exposed coasts; occasional light showers of a wintry nature will continue to affect eastern coastal counties and perhaps part of the north coast also. Some thawing of lying snow and ice may occur in eastern areas during the daytime but most places will remain bitterly cold and ice-bound. Wintry showers will persist overnight in eastern counties, with snow accumulating again in places; longer outbreaks of rain, sleet and perhaps snow will develop in coastal counties of the south also as freshening, easterly winds set in generally. This precipitation distribution will persist through Monday also, with areas other than the east and south staying mainly dry and bright. Despite a slight rise in temperatures, it will feel still feel bitterly cold in the fresh, easterly wind.

Posted

Hi everyone,

Met Eireann are predicting that it will become somewhat milder in the south and east of Ireland next Monday. I'm just wondering what would be causing this and are the models supporting this theory?

This is their current outlook for Ireland:

On Friday night, occasional snow showers will persist in eastern coastal counties but the rest of the country will be dry with clear spells; severe or very severe ground frost will occur, along with widespread ice and some freezing fog patches. Eastern coastal counties will have further wintry showers during Saturday, many of them falling as snow inland from the Irish Sea. Other areas will be dry with sunny spells but extensive frost and ice will persist, together with local fog; winds will be light to moderate, northeasterly. Saturday night will see little change in wind or shower distribution but widespread severe or very severe ground frost will return; ice and freezing fog patches will be an ongoing problem. The overall northeasterly airflow will persist on Sunday, with fresher breezes near some exposed coasts; occasional light showers of a wintry nature will continue to affect eastern coastal counties and perhaps part of the north coast also. Some thawing of lying snow and ice may occur in eastern areas during the daytime but most places will remain bitterly cold and ice-bound. Wintry showers will persist overnight in eastern counties, with snow accumulating again in places; longer outbreaks of rain, sleet and perhaps snow will develop in coastal counties of the south also as freshening, easterly winds set in generally. This precipitation distribution will persist through Monday also, with areas other than the east and south staying mainly dry and bright. Despite a slight rise in temperatures, it will feel still feel bitterly cold in the fresh, easterly wind.

fear sneachta, Met E have stated that we might see a SLIGHT rise in temps. Given that we see -7 at dublin airport last night a SLIGHT rise does not mean that it will turn milder.

Posted

I note that the Meto have downgraded their warning for snow on Sunday.

Still what an amazing period of cold weather, we still have snow lying from the 20th of December in Pomeroy, the snowmen ( and woman) I built with my girls are still there although they are tilting to the side somewhat, loughs have frozen parts of the Foyle have frozen and the river sion?outside sion mills is also well frozen in parts. I observed this on my journey to Derry today.

I know that people want 50 feet of snow etc, but still I bet we will be talking about this cold "snap" in 30 years to come God willing.

These are rare events people even without the snow the cold itself has been exceptional.

Thats my 2pence worth, back to work for me, enjoy itdrinks.gif

Posted

fear sneachta, Met E have stated that we might see a SLIGHT rise in temps. Given that we see -7 at dublin airport last night a SLIGHT rise does not mean that it will turn milder.

True...but by day this could mean temps of +3 or +4 (which even Netweather is forecasting) for the east of Ireland. This would mean sleet or even rain and a partial thaw.

Posted

The Ensembles don't seem to support temps of +3 or +4. I also believe that the NW Min/Max Temps are for guidance proposes only.

Anyway we'll have to wait and see. As we have seen in recent weeks looking beyond T+72 is F.I and anything could happen. That said we all like to have a look rolleyes.gif

My 2pence worth is that if the Easterly airflow quickened its pace by a few knots, those of us 10miles inland from the east coast might see another 10cms between Sunday night and Monday night but this will very much be a nowcasting event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Hi everyone,

Hi fear sneachta,

Fear not.

I have listened to about 5 Met eireann forcasts today and they are all slightly different. At this stage they are all giving their nowcast forecasts based on their experience and these can be very subjective.

My nowcast is for more snow in the east over the coming days with it being of rain/sleet only right on the coast. Anywhere slightly inland will get snow.

Here is their forecast for the Dublin area at 1300.

Dublin

07 January 2010- updated at 13:00 Today

Dry with sunny spells and light, west winds. Highest temperatures only -1 to +1 degrees Celsius and ice or lying snow will persist.

Tonight

Mainly dry tonight with clear spells and light northeasterlybreezes. A few snow showers may blow in from the Irish Sea before morning. Bitterly cold with severe ground frost and widespread ice; lowest temperatures -2 to -6 degrees Celsius.

Tomorrow

Another bitterly cold day on Friday with moderate, northeasterly breezes. Sunny intervals and scattered snow showers, leading to further accumulations. Highest temperatures 0 to 2 degrees Celsius, with frost persisting all day in most places.

Edited by John Cox

Posted

Here in north kildare theres been a couple of inches or so of lying snow with little or no thaw since new years eve. We had a couple of inches here yesterday and its -3 out there now...this is real winter at last! Of course id love a good dumping(a foot please thanks very much) but so far im loving this cold snap in all its freezing rarity :help:

Posted

Having had a quick look at the GFS i fully expect The Met Office to put the Snow Weather Warnings back on for County Down. The latest GFS run shows ppn from T+57 onwards and whilst it gets more marginal as the irish sea moderates the temperatures, higher parts of County Down will get hammered.

This is looking more and more like another Met Office cock up in the making.

I honestly do not believe that the met office have a clue about the weather nor indeed care about the weather in NI.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

It sure is a real winters day here,about 2 inches of snow on the ground,the max temp today was -2.1c and is currently -2.7c,last nights low was -5.9c. Its misty here atm aswell.

Posted

Having had a quick look at the GFS i fully expect The Met Office to put the Snow Weather Warnings back on for County Down. The latest GFS run shows ppn from T+57 onwards and whilst it gets more marginal as the irish sea moderates the temperatures, higher parts of County Down will get hammered.

This is looking more and more like another Met Office cock up in the making.

I honestly do not believe that the met office have a clue about the weather nor indeed care about the weather in NI.

I have to say they seem to rely too much on models and overlook longstanding patterns (IMHO). I'm guessing that's why Joe B'astardi was able to call the winter correctly and they said it would be mild.

Edited by Magadan

Posted

sub zero here all day. fog rolled in about 2pm and may keep temps up tonite. currently -2.5c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Max temp today was 0.9c

Currently -3.4c, coldest temp of 2010 so far.

No significant precipitation here, just an overnight flurry of graupel last night, covering any bare surfaces in a sugar type dusting, this has persisted all day with no thaw taking place at all.

Posted

Lagan freezing over this afternoon

100_2326.jpg

100_2325.jpg100_2326.jpg100_2327.jpg100_2331.jpg

100_2332.jpg100_2335.jpg

Edited by jello

Posted

Met Eireann sugesting buckets of snow for the start of next week:

The east to northeasterly airflow will persist on Sunday and Monday, but with those winds increasing. So the snow threat for the whole of the country increases too. There is likely to be further snow over a wide area, but especially the eastern half of the country, some of it heavy, with possibly some drifting in the winds.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

:(

Posted

Well another Epic winters day

Never have i seen such epic winter weather all it one go.I was born in 1978

Bitterly cold day today -4 bit breezy this morning.now we have Freezing fog in dublin.

Cant imagine another cold snap for a long time will be as good as this.

Epic

Edited by cold snap