Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Looks like that band of snow coming down is headed for the E Midlands... doesn't look to be weakening yet.

If it doesn't die out then this stray shower could be the most snow Leicester has seen since the cold spell started LMAO.

Posted

1-2cm is good enough for me, enough for a snowball fightdrinks.gif

http://null.co.uk/

Not looking fab for me but decent for you East Midlanders. A nice 2-5cm cover is very possibleclap.gif

It also mentions the Chesire snow streamer which could be interesting as it'd add another few cm's on top.

People, from a NE'ly, this isn't bad if it comes of for the majority. Lets be positive and I'm looking forward to POSSIBLY some snow.biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

If it doesn't die out then this stray shower could be the most snow Leicester has seen since the cold spell started LMAO.

I think it's going to slide just east of us :whistling: Not for the first time! If it is still in one peice by the time it reaches Nottingham I think it will slide East of us because the wind direction around the Midlands is N/NW rather than N/NE which we need to get that snow shower lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Nothing noteworthy concerning snowfall for the Midlands next week, quite a contrast from my comments yesterday evening. Though at any time during the upcoming week there could be a few snow showers making their way inland, though away from inland areas is where there is a high snow risk as the main trough sinks south during the start of the week with winds coming from a NNE to NE and then ENE direction. The end of next week looks very interesting as the significant snow risk covers most of England, though obviously too far away to become excited.

For now, we have snow flurries for tomorrow! :whistling:

It was always going to be a very dry, very cold spell for the WEST Midlands (just make that clear before I get misquoted again). At least we could see some very low minimums though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

1-2cm is good enough for me, enough for a snowball fightdrinks.gif

http://null.co.uk/

Not looking fab for me but decent for you East Midlanders. A nice 2-5cm cover is very possibleclap.gif

It also mentions the Chesire snow streamer which could be interesting as it'd add another few cm's on top.

People, from a NE'ly, this isn't bad if it comes of for the majority. Lets be positive and I'm looking forward to POSSIBLY some snow.biggrin.gif

i think we could do ok over the next week! but intresting for him to mention a chesire snow streamer! im going to keep an eye on this!!

Posted

Exact snow distribution will not be 100% nailed until at least within 48hrs, maybe even 24hrs in some cases. I remember this clearly from the Feb 2009 easterly when the GFS wasn't really progging much snow for eastern districts at all on Monday 2nd, and then suddenly late Sat/early Sun it massively upgraded snow amounts. Just an example of how the situation can change quickly.

Best thing to do is keep an eye on those UKMO warnings and forecasts which tend to be more accurate than the GFS at a longer range. They currently have a whole batch out for Heavy Snow on Tuesday, including parts of the East Midlands.

In summary, far too early to say the Midlands will be snowless next week. I'm sure at the very least there will be showers across parts of the region, and these could be heavy enough to give a covering at times. :whistling:

Posted

Exact snow distribution will not be 100% nailed until at least within 48hrs, maybe even 24hrs in some cases. I remember this clearly from the Feb 2009 easterly when the GFS wasn't really progging much snow for eastern districts at all on Monday 2nd, and then suddenly late Sat/early Sun it massively upgraded snow amounts. Just an example of how the situation can change quickly.

Best thing to do is keep an eye on those UKMO warnings and forecasts which tend to be more accurate than the GFS at a longer range. They currently have a whole batch out for Heavy Snow on Tuesday, including parts of the East Midlands.

In summary, far too early to say the Midlands will be snowless next week. I'm sure at the very least there will be showers across parts of the region, and these could be heavy enough to give a covering at times. smile.gif

Happy New Year Dan, and good post.

Yes in feb they had our region down for very little snow and we saw what happend.

Tuesdays heavy snowfall ( if it does) could see Northants being borderline with the heaviest to our east AKA Peterboroughlaugh.gif

Not only football rivalry between Northampton and Posh but snow too.laugh.gif

Posted

Yet again the West Midlands will miss out on the snow during this cold spell, it's always the north and east that see the decent snow. mad.gif

We might get some snow flurries through the Cheshire Gap...:good:

Posted

It's quite unusual to mention the Cheshire Gap in a forecast isn't it???

Perhaps they're expeting some heavy showeres, possibly some organised bands coming in. Nothing substantial 10cm+ but perhaps 2-5cm

Posted

It does pay to be hopeful, it's snowing here moderatey/heavy with an instant covering in 5minsyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif

You can see where it came from

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Stopping in the main, I have a 0.5cm covering at most from a rouge shower.

Who says NE can't bring snow to West Mids?????

Posted

I think it's going to slide just east of us :) Not for the first time! If it is still in one peice by the time it reaches Nottingham I think it will slide East of us because the wind direction around the Midlands is N/NW rather than N/NE which we need to get that snow shower lol.

I think Notts will certainly get some snow, not sure what part of Leics you are in?

It bodes well that this band of snow has survived all the way from Boro though! There's plenty of fuel in the fire from that direction :)

Posted

This is a nice chart for the Midlands tomorrow night:

U36-594.GIF?01-18

Likely to give a few cm in the green area. Although some on the western side won't deserve it if they are going to persist with their moaning about how snowless a cold spell that's only just begun is going to be!

Posted

http://www.meteociel...6-594.GIF?01-18

Likely to give a few cm in the green area. Although some on the western side won't deserve it if they are going to persist with their moaning about how snowless a cold spell that's only just begun is going to be!

That's unfair, i've been positive if you look back recently and i've been slightly rewarded tonight

This gets it bang on, time wise and snow wise. Use this tomorrow night i think, you never know

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted

http://www.meteociel...6-594.GIF?01-18

:)

Being pessimistic means you will either be right or pleasantly surprised, the best way to think. FAX chart for tomorrow night:

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax36s.gif

Could get a covering, nothing huge but anything that does fall probably won't melt for at least a week.

Posted

OH MY GOSH THIS IS WORTHY OF CAPITALS!!!

ITS SNOWING AND QUITE HEAVILY IN TELFORD :)

Where did it come from :)

Posted

That's unfair, i've been positive if you look back recently and i've been slightly rewarded tonight

I wasn't referring to you specifically, or indeed anyone in particular. Just making the point that some people ought to be more appreciative of the situation we find ourselves in and stop moaning about a lack of snow when we have a potential event in about 24 hrs or so time!

Also worth pointing out that the showers today have dodged the E Mids completely and headed to the western side due to the wind direction. And yet still there's a lot of moaning from posters in that area!

Posted

It's stopped now, but was a nice shock when i looked out the window to see it absolutely chucking it down with snow.

Dusted everything in a sugary disgusting, it looks like someones came along with icing sugar.

Posted

It's stopped now, but was a nice shock when i looked out the window to see it absolutely chucking it down with snow.

Dusted everything in a sugary disgusting, it looks like someones came along with icing sugar.

How much you got. About 0.5cm heredrinks.gif

Ok seeing as it was a surprise

Posted

OH MY GOSH THIS IS WORTHY OF CAPITALS!!!

ITS SNOWING AND QUITE HEAVILY IN TELFORD ;)

Where did it come from ;)

The sky.

LOL- no seriously, well done on that one. Shows what is possible even when you assume it's going to be a dry day.

Posted

;)

Being pessimistic means you will either be right or pleasantly surprised, the best way to think. FAX chart for tomorrow night:

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax36s.gif

Could get a covering, nothing huge but anything that does fall probably won't melt for at least a week.

Agreed. It's not going to be a stellar event but it should get the (snow)ball rolling nicely so to speak and promises to be the most widespread snow event we've seen in this cold spell so far away from Scotland.