Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Looking relatively boring next week for us lot particularly right in this neck of the woods. Tommorow night could produce a covering or a couple of cm's in a few parts. Otherwise get ready for the freezing, severe cold and the jealous reports of snow everywhere around the country but here...AGAIN... LOL.

Happy new year NW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Agreed. It's not going to be a stellar event but it should get the (snow)ball rolling nicely so to speak and promises to be the most widespread snow event we've seen in this cold spell so far away from Scotland.

Steve Murr also suggests a high chance of streamers and convective showers following on behind, refusing to get excited until I see the flakes falling under the lamp post though. Saw comments speaking about 1963 earlier, the snowfall itself wasn't the main talking point, it was the very low and sustained temperatures which just kept it there for weeks on end. This could be a watered down but similar event for the first half of January at least.

Posted

How much you got. About 0.5cm heredrinks.gif

Ok seeing as it was a surprise

Its not even quite enough to cover the ground, looks like frost from a distance and icing sugar up close, hopefully were get another surprise snow shower come

through the Cheshire Gap tonight.

Posted

Looking at the radar, I'm shocked by the audacity of the band of snow not breaking up upon entering Nottinghamshire. I mean really, come on. How dare it. This might mean I see some snowfall here in Nottingham soon, and as we all know, that just isn't on. ;)

Posted

Looking relatively boring next week for us lot particularly right in this neck of the woods. Tommorow night could produce a covering or a couple of cm's in a few parts. Otherwise get ready for the freezing, severe cold and the jealous reports of snow everywhere around the country but here...AGAIN... LOL.

Happy new year NW.

Are you for real??

I'm getting sick and tired of tedious and utter crap post like this.

welcome to my ignore button you utter fool.

Edited by Lancs_Northants

Posted

Everso slight dusting of snow here. Just got clipped by a shower to the west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

This is a nice chart for the Midlands tomorrow night:

U36-594.GIF?01-18

Likely to give a few cm in the green area. Although some on the western side won't deserve it if they are going to persist with their moaning about how snowless a cold spell that's only just begun is going to be!

Dayummm that is a nice chart, cheers for that me ol mucka.

It's stopped now, but was a nice shock when i looked out the window to see it absolutely chucking it down with snow.

Dusted everything in a sugary disgusting, it looks like someones came along with icing sugar.

A sugary disgusting?? :)

Posted

Happy New Year Dan, and good post.

Yes in feb they had our region down for very little snow and we saw what happend.

Tuesdays heavy snowfall ( if it does) could see Northants being borderline with the heaviest to our east AKA Peterboroughlaugh.gif

Not only football rivalry between Northampton and Posh but snow too.laugh.gif

Happy New Year to you, too.

Wouldn't be the first time P'boro got bucket loads of snow and here escaped! But too early to tell, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Meto updating/expanding the warning area over the coming days.

Talking of football, I see you updated your sig. :)

Posted

Dayummm that is a nice chart, cheers for that me ol mucka.

A sugary disgusting?? :)

Sorry Andy, all rain for Leicester. There is a pool of +5c 850s right over your house, just to save the disappointment.

LOL yeah I noticed that as well, care to explain what a "sugary disgusting" is Conor? :)

Now THIS is a good chart:

ECM1-120.GIF?01-0

Edited by nick2702

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Sorry Andy, all rain for Leicester. There is a pool of +5c 850s right over your house, just to save the disappointment.

LOL yeah I noticed that as well, care to explain what a "sugary disgusting" is Conor? :)

Now THIS is a good chart:

ECM1-120.GIF?01-0

:rolleyes::D Payback for the Cannock sized hairdryer *gulp*

That is a top chart BUT it's T120... Not to be trusted yet :)

Posted

:rolleyes::D Payback for the Cannock sized hairdryer *gulp*

That is a top chart BUT it's T120... Not to be trusted yet :)

Better than +384! Even though it is +120 it will be bloody cold either way.

And here is +72 FAX chart, with an occlusion sinking south another chance of a covering:

http://www.meteociel.../fax/fax72s.gif

The ECM is an absolute belter, and even I - "Mr Negative" - accept that it would bring heavy snow showers a very long way inland. Fingers crossed!

Edited by nick2702

Posted

Happy New Year to you, too.

Wouldn't be the first time P'boro got bucket loads of snow and here escaped! But too early to tell, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Meto updating/expanding the warning area over the coming days.

Talking of football, I see you updated your sig. laugh.gif

Fantastic charts mate ...

i will say this again, this could be the coldest winter I've seen in over 30 years. temps as low as -15 and maxima below freezing.

What a fantastic start to winter.

Posted

Fantastic charts mate ...

i will say this again, this could be the coldest winter I've seen in over 30 years. temps as low as -15 and maxima below freezing.

What a fantastic start to winter.

If the ECM verifies lads deep extensive snowcover is a given even for our region. Bring it on! <_<

Posted

If the ECM verifies lads deep extensive snowcover is a given even for our region. Bring it on! <_<

And then with high pressure for the weekend, could be some exceptionally low temperatures, sub -10c looks inevitable thanks to the snowcover.

Posted

Amazingly we caught a snow shower about 5.30pm- for about 10-15 mins it snowed quite heavily and gave us a nice 0.5cm dusting everywhere- not much but better than I dared hope for after all these letdowns.

Posted

If the ECM verifies lads deep extensive snowcover is a given even for our region. Bring it on! drinks.gif

Deep????

I would not be going to work for about 2 weeks shok.gif

Posted

We need the ECM to come off, it would push showers right across to Wales on an ENE wind, places like E Anglia/Lincs would get hammered but so too could Notts Leics Northants with showers getting thru to the Western side of the Midlands too.

Could it be like Feb 1st last year Ian? First day of the cold spell and was the only day of the "proper easterly" if I recall. Got snow shower after snow shower that day with a very nice covering by the end of the day. Overnight it snowed even more and was proper powder snow too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Nottingham could get a decent amount soon, Lincoln are going to get perhaps and hour, could leave 2/3cm

Seems to be running out of steam though!wallbash.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Evening all :lol:

Snowing here!

Posted

Could it be like Feb 1st last year Ian? First day of the cold spell and was the only day of the "proper easterly" if I recall. Got snow shower after snow shower that day with a very nice covering by the end of the day. Overnight it snowed even more and was proper powder snow too.

Nick, if the ECM come off you could have double what you had in feb.

Regions more to the east ..East Mids laugh.gif could see some very, very heavy snow.

It's not yet ''nailed'' but 48 hours of heavy snow could be on the cards.shok.gif

8 hours of heavy snow gave us the deep snow in feb....what could 48 hours gave us??????

Edited by Lancs_Northants

Posted

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Looking similar length and intensity to what I had. 15/30mins leaving 0.5cm

Look on the General Model Output Discussion.

They're ramping it up, saying the SE will be snowed off with plenty for everone South of the Pennines

Yup, a direct (more or less anyway) easterly would push shower after shower after shower in off the North Sea, and with no meaningful high ground to the east of us then there would be very little stop them reaching the west Midlands. Exciting times ahead.