Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Light snow here. :wallbash:

Looks like snow will continue for quite a while again. Shame its so light.

Lucky bugger, LE3 snowless shield is on form again tonight, look at that circle in the PPN that has developed around the shield...

Posted

Lucky bugger, LE3 snowless shield is on form again tonight, look at that circle in the PPN that has developed around the shield...

post-2115-12622160070013_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Not nice is it- Storms and snow shields are often turned on here aswell. :wallbash:

Posted

That's dead funny! :yahoo: Though I'm sure you'd get the same with NG7 or BH31...(not that it'd be snow in BH31...)

And Mum's in PL10! No chance! :crazy:

Edited by butler_son

Posted

Going by the reports a clear example of the upper temps dropping. The surface temps across the Midlands are still around 3C but its falling as snow due to the colder air moving in.

Sweet FA here and unlikely to see any as the front pushes even further S.

Posted

Light snow here. :crazy:

Looks like snow will continue for quite a while again. Shame its so light.

Hmm, this shows how marginal things were before... It's still raining here.

I thought Halesowen was higher than Stourbridge. :yahoo:

Posted

you can see the crescent shape of the snowsheild on the west side of the precip' lol!!!

I bet if it were over you it'd be a perfect circle :yahoo:

Posted

you can see the crescent shape of the snowsheild on the west side of the precip' lol!!!

I bet if it were over you it'd be a perfect circle :rofl:

I know :)

No one believed me, I just proved that LE3 has it's own snowless shield. The gap of death that happened in the PPN on Saturday 2 weeks ago when that band of precip came down from the North happened because of the LE3 snow shield, it simply broke it up :)

That's dead funny! :yahoo: Though I'm sure you'd get the same with NG7 or BH31...(not that it'd be snow in BH31...)

And Mum's in PL10! No chance! :crazy:

PL10 and BH31 :)

Bad places for snow right there!

Posted

PL10 and BH31 :crazy:

Bad places for snow right there!

Don't diss BH31! This was in April 2008: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=33180&id=591331836&l=04b69c77e4 - I'm not going to tell you how long the snow stuck around for though... :yahoo:

Also, 2 years ago this coming Sunday, snow fell on BH10 as I was taking my driving test! It can snow in that part of the world! Only if the year is 2008...though it did snow this year in Feb...

Still diddly squat in Shottingham. Looks like it's time for a glass of port as we enter the final 24 hours of the decade...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

How odd. Its very light here but still snowflakes. :)

Posted

How odd. Its very light here but still snowflakes. :)

Same thing happened last week though. A good couple of cm fell up in Brierley Hill and just sleety rain down here in Wordsley. I'm sure my little patch of Wordsley is always just below the snow line!

Posted

Same thing happened last week though. A good couple of cm fell up in Brierley Hill and just sleety rain down here in Wordsley. I'm sure my little patch of Wordsley is always just below the snow line!

It has been very marginal it has to be said. We had snow last night but never settled but the high ground i can see from my bedroom window had snow all over them and they are not that much higher!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

It has been very marginal it has to be said. We had snow last night but never settled but the high ground i can see from my bedroom window had snow all over them and they are not that much higher!

Bit of a non event for you guys last night then, im sure there will be plenty more oppurtunities in this cold spell. :)

I had heavy snow tuesday night but it turned to sleety rain on wednesday, doesn't bother me at all though as its cold thats all that matters to me really as long as the horrible TM airmasses are kept at bay but for some of you the razorblades will be out soon as it looks like a very long rather dry cold to very cold spell ahead for us, soz :D

Posted

I had heavy snow tuesday night but it turned to sleety rain on wednesday, doesn't bother me at all though as its cold thats all that matters to me really as long as the horrible TM airmasses are kept at bay but for some of you the razorblades will be out soon as it looks like a very long rather dry cold to very cold spell ahead for us, soz :D

Well that horrible mild air has now gone and from the models this morning look cold all the way .. We now start to look to where and when Showers might form as they should now be of Snow with 850's starting to head towards -10 in some areas over the next couple of days.

Posted

Well that horrible mild air has now gone and from the models this morning look cold all the way .. We now start to look to where and when Showers might form as they should now be of Snow with 850's starting to head towards -10 in some areas over the next couple of days.

Showers will form in the normal places. N. E Scotland, down the East Coast, and in the South East. The rest of the Uk will be pretty dry.

Posted

Showers will form in the normal places. N. E Scotland, down the East Coast, and in the South East. The rest of the Uk will be pretty dry.

I expect heavy Showers across the Midlands tomorrow night , the convective potential is huge . All the Tv Forcasts are picking

up on this now. As we go into next week with the uk being controlled by low pressure and under a very cold air mass , troughs will bound to pop up. There are even hints that the winds may turn more North Westerly for a time giving some more Weston areas a chance of snowfall.

I'm not sure the GFS has the timing quite right . but it is showing Snow showers well inland at 6am tomorrow Morning .

Rtavn304.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I feel it will be yet another case of the east coast getting everything and the rest of the UK getting nothing - the Met Office forecasts share this view!

Posted

Yet another case of a let down.

The snow showers that the GFS had slap bang over the Midlands last night is now nowhere to be seen, sick of all of these East events, why can't we just get one big 8 inches of snow memorable event in the Midlands :)

So dry tomorrow again, no surprise there.

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

What use is cold, if there aint no snow? The Se crew are ramping it up on the model thread, like its "the day after tomorrow" :)

The reality is that is bone dry for the 90% of the UK, that doesnt live in the SE/E coastal fringes. Our only hope is that the winds are much stronger than predicted, so that any precipitation can make it well in land, ie into the West Mids and Wales, Otherwise its going to be a very boring couple of weeks for the vast majority.

Its getting so bad, I may have to start chasing the snow lol. Reckon I could make Peterborough in about 90 minutes. Aparantly its snows there nearly every day :):D

Andy, I can remember plenty of times in the 70s/80/s with a foot of snow in the Midlands (Stafford area) but not from this sort of set up.