Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

What use is cold, if there aint no snow? The Se crew are ramping it up on the model thread, like its "the day after tomorrow" :)

The reality is that is bone dry for the 90% of the UK, that doesnt live in the SE/E coastal fringes. Our only hope is that the winds are much stronger than predicted, so that any precipitation can make it well in land, ie into the West Mids and Wales, Otherwise its going to be a very boring couple of weeks for the vast majority.

Its getting so bad, I may have to start chasing the snow lol. Reckon I could make Peterborough in about 90 minutes. Aparantly its snows there nearly every day :):D

Andy, I can remember plenty of times in the 70s/80/s with a foot of snow in the Midlands (Stafford area) but not from this sort of set up.

yes, used to be, even in 80's and 90's, dunno whats happened in the 00's, getting snow here now is like pulling teeth, surely the chance of a few flurries tomorrow night?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

yes, used to be, even in 80's and 90's, dunno whats happened in the 00's, getting snow here now is like pulling teeth, surely the chance of a few flurries tomorrow night?

Is that what we have come to, hoping to get a few flurries in the middle of the night? Things really must be bad...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Well peeps can say what they want but i'm seriously not happy, the charts look CRAP again this morning. UKMO with no chance of snow for anywhere in the Midlands for the next 5 days, GFS is the same... It's another couple of inches for the East and South East job again. Why can't we just have a straight Easterly like in Feb? That delivers for the Midlands because snow showers blow right inland all the way to the Welsh borders at times, none of this North Easterly turning into a Northerly nonsense.

So i'm going to have to sit here freezing my ass off for the next week again because our boiler still doesen't work and I am going to see no snow just cold dry freezing days.

For once... I wish it was mild.

Posted

NO ANDY!!!!!!!! Don't say that! Think of all the times in past winters where we have had endless weeks of mild mush, I certainly don't want those days to return.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

NO ANDY!!!!!!!! Don't say that! Think of all the times in past winters where we have had endless weeks of mild mush, I certainly don't want those days to return.

You'd rather sit there and know that some areas are getting snow after snow and getting good depths and you are getting absolutely nothing? I'd rather the whole country get mild mush than some lucky buggers getting snow week after week while you get nothing. :shok:

You watch, when our boiler gets fixed in Mid January... The Atlantic will return with 12c max temps, just my luck.

Posted

You'd rather sit there and know that some areas are getting snow after snow and getting good depths and you are getting absolutely nothing? I'd rather the whole country get mild mush than some lucky buggers getting snow week after week while you get nothing. :shok:

You watch, when our boiler gets fixed in Mid January... The Atlantic will return with 12c max temps, just my luck.

Yup, I definitely would. It is still extremely annoying, but not annoying as having April temperatures in January.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

All weather advisories now gone from Met Office website for the East Midlands

Posted

For those who are moaning in here about the lack of snow, some consolation for you that so far around here, we only had 2 snow showers which left a mere dusting and are not slowly melting. At the moment i got grey boring skies instead of having sunshine and convective cloud.

The next thing, for those on the east coast, especially around here and NE Scotland, proper heat and thunderstorms are rare around here unlike your locations, whilst you are all having fun watching very beefy showers and thunder and lightning, us lot have the joy of being under low cloud and sea fog most of the time. If we are lucky, we might get the odd storm here and there. :D

Posted

All weather advisories now gone from Met Office website for the East Midlands

Yup the 6z's have changed everything . Shame would have been the perfect start to the New Year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Looks like we can look forward to day after day of being dry while the East bags the snow. I hate this so much!

Posted

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but 3-5 days out when the SE got plastered, the ppn was not even nailed at this range.

PPN really need to be viewed more short term, with signs within the mid term.

Yes, I can see it being dry in the main, but I am by no means ruling out any snow during the next 5-7 days.

Posted

Bloody typical, we are looking at one of the coldest spells for 20 years and no snow, and with a northeast wind, no hoar or rime frost either to make things look white!

This has to be one of the suckiest forecasts for winter that you could ever get!!!

Even the chance for showers over the next couple of days has gone.

Why why why why why oh why??!!! (runs away to cry in a dark corner) ;):)

Posted

Bloody typical, we are looking at one of the coldest spells for 20 years and no snow, and with a northeast wind, no hoar or rime frost either to make things look white!

This has to be one of the suckiest forecasts for winter that you could ever get!!!

Even the chance for showers over the next couple of days has gone.

Why why why why why oh why??!!! (runs away to cry in a dark corner) :cold::cold:

its always been the way here in the midlands. being 60 miles inland doesnt help when it comes to convection, yet we seem to get fairly cold temperatures round here. having said that, it is 3/4 celsius today, and the temperatures over the last few days have exceeded those forecast, so i cant see the big freeze coming just yet. we have to face it, our best hope of snow comes when things are marginal, i.e lows coming in from the southwest. i prefer this seasonal weather to mild muck, but the snow has been hopeless so far!

Posted

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but 3-5 days out when the SE got plastered, the ppn was not even nailed at this range.

PPN really need to be viewed more short term, with signs within the mid term.

Yes, I can see it being dry in the main, but I am by no means ruling out any snow during the next 5-7 days.

The problem is at least in the next 48 hours it is not just about the ppn charts , it is also the other chart that suggest there will be no Snow, In a very Slack N/even NW at times flow , there is nothing to drag the showers in off the North Sea. Hopefully over the next few runs we will see some improvement in the positioning of Lows. Of course Sat Night could be upgraded still , the models still not sure of its track.

Posted

The problem is at least in the next 48 hours it is not just about the ppn charts , it is also the other chart that suggest there will be no Snow, In a very Slack N/even NW at times flow , there is nothing to drag the showers in off the North Sea. Hopefully over the next few runs we will see some improvement in the positioning of Lows. Of course Sat Night could be upgraded still , the models still not sure of its track.

i really wouldnt get your hopes up, it takes a strong flow and some troughs to penetrate the showers well inland, and in reality, the likelihood is that it will remain dry for most of the midlands. the prospects arent brilliant for snow in the coming days.

Posted

There is something that looks suspiciously like a shower cloud just to our east, i think it may hit us, i'll let you know in a bout 10 minutes.

Posted

Yes, there is snowfalling from it just to the southeast of me, but there may be some just about to hit me!! :unknw:

Posted

Birmingham and the northern extent of the Black Country are actually very lucky due to the height above sea level, this will often result in snow in marginal situations when elesewhere just rain will fall. In terms of the flow I would agree that a NW flow is good but the ideal is still to get a good slow moving channel low with the us at the tip of it. If you like the white stuff what we have got is on the face of it 2-3 weeks of sustained and entrenched cold so any precipitation will fall as snow, if like me you hate the cold then take comfort in GPs latest outlook that hints at a very rapid warm up when this breaks down.

Posted

Yes, there is snowfalling from it just to the southeast of me, but there may be some just about to hit me!! :cc_confused:

There is also a slightly larger blob of precipitation that has come in from the East coast, its nearly at Leicester, touch and go whether it will hit Nuneaton but you are slightly more likely to get it in Bedworth I guess.

Posted

Well peeps can say what they want but i'm seriously not happy, the charts look CRAP again this morning. UKMO with no chance of snow for anywhere in the Midlands for the next 5 days, GFS is the same... It's another couple of inches for the East and South East job again. Why can't we just have a straight Easterly like in Feb? That delivers for the Midlands because snow showers blow right inland all the way to the Welsh borders at times, none of this North Easterly turning into a Northerly nonsense.

So i'm going to have to sit here freezing my ass off for the next week again because our boiler still doesen't work and I am going to see no snow just cold dry freezing days.

Grim isn't it? No sign of snow anywhere on the horizon for here either and according Glacier Point in the In Depth model discussion February is going to be very mild and wet, and he's been bang on with his long range forecasts so far. The frosts over the coming days will be an OK consolation but to be honest I'd prefer a huge dumping like in 07/08 and then back to SWlys. At least those 2 day toppler battlegrounds deliver the goods if it's snow you're looking for.

Edited by Barb

Posted

There is also a slightly larger blob of precipitation that has come in from the East coast, its nearly at Leicester, touch and go whether it will hit Nuneaton but you are slightly more likely to get it in Bedworth I guess.

Having just said that it seems to be fading and is also tracking slightly further southwards. Still the sky round here certainly looks more promising, though it wont be much if it does come.

Posted

It's encouraging to see that even light snowshowers can make it inland this far, even before anything has a chance to brew over the north sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Good afternoon everyone :lol:

Its just starting to cloud over here now... :cc_confused:

Posted

The Sky over Freemans Park in Leicester is full of Snow.... Things look kind of conductive for the next few hours.. probably more than was expected , alot o these showers have come out of no where. Hopefully 12z will give the midlands one last chance of moving the showers further inland later. Temp and Due has dropped loads in the last hour. All I need now is to win the bingo... Currently at mecca with me netbook lol.

Posted

Don't know why people are talking about snow showers, a quick glance at the radar suggests nothing of note!