Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 12

Ross B

Posted

Its certainly trying hard to top up these snow levels quickly. We've had showers on and off since early afternoon here. But to be honest amounts to start with were only around 1" or so but its adding and adding so who knows where we'll end up. Big lumps of showers heading in for a bit yet methinks.

Edit : should have said amounts of todays snow only on top of approx 4-6 inches of snow and ice

We had 6 inches of snow lying on wednesday of last week but its gradually gone since with the slightly milder spells here on the coast giving us rain or sleet at times and temps of 3-4 degress C. We're now left with odd bits of thick ice from that episode before today's covering.

Snowing REALLY heavilly now, heaviest i think ive seen it here in a long long time!! Hope it keeps up for a while :(:yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Hi SR... That big blob over you on the radar is heading due-west (would speculate you might get a heavy 15-20 minutes worth) ....incoming Embra !

We had 6 inches of snow lying on wednesday of last week but its gradually gone since with the slightly milder spells here on the coast giving us rain or sleet at times and temps of 3-4 degress C. We're now left with odd bits of thick ice from that episode before today's covering.

Snowing REALLY heavilly now, heaviest i think ive seen it here in a long long time!! Hope it keeps up for a while :lol: :clap:

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Just been to the back door and boy its really really heavy snow now, big fat puffy flakes and its fairly adding up. My fence/wall is coompletely white down the face on the top everywhere - its truly amazing!

I can't remember seeing snow like this for a very long time. In fact maybe when i was snowed in doing my prelims at high school and that was a long time ago!

Hi SR... That big blob over you on the radar is heading due-west....incoming Embra !

Prepare yourself - you'll not be disappointed!!!

Posted

Hi By-tor, yes up here (Currie) it's getting really deep. Not measured it but my brown wheelie bin resembles Lady Pakal's avatar ! cold.gif

Posted

Well today has had a very different feel to it here and the first day of this spell that the traffic has had real problems within the city. There's not much happening at the moment but it looks like there is plenty of potential in the next few days. For me, to be a real east-coast event it would have to produce around 30 cm of snow. I saw that several times in the late 70s/early 80s including early February 1980, when I clearly remember measuring the snow at 50 cm. No-one ever seems to mention that time however as I think it only affected Dundee, Angus and north-east Fife, although it was generally cold across the rest of the country. It needs a few days of these showers to get up to those sort of depths though!

Posted

This is J2 Claylands heading west.. down to one lane and remember this is Scotlands busies Motorway the main arterial route between Edinburgh and Glasgow.

I'm thinking tomorrow's Old Firm game will called off then due to travel/safety etc..not that that's a bad thing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Well today has had a very different feel to it here and the first day of this spell that the traffic has had real problems within the city. There's not much happening at the moment but it looks like there is plenty of potential in the next few days. For me, to be a real east-coast event it would have to produce around 30 cm of snow. I saw that several times in the late 70s/early 80s including early February 1980, when I clearly remember measuring the snow at 50 cm. No-one ever seems to mention that time however as I think it only affected Dundee, Angus and north-east Fife, although it was generally cold across the rest of the country. It needs a few days of these showers to get up to those sort of depths though!

Heavy snow here now - 20cm level in the garden, so I think I'll be breaking that magic 1 foot barrier by Tuesday morning!! Anyway, going to watch 'The Thick of it' on DVD and i'll probably have the odd lamp now and again!!

Night all - thanks for the updates on yet another wonderful day of snow watching!!

LS

edit: Just a wee bit more east and we're looking at some snowstorm Wednesday:

Rtavn901.png

Recm961.gif

Rukm961.gif

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Just had a peep at the radar and a fall rate of 4-8mm per hour - not bad eh!!

Posted

I'm thinking tomorrow's Old Firm game will called off then due to travel/safety etc..not that that's a bad thing!

Don't see any reason why, it's in Glasgow and so SHOULD (:D) the supporters.

Would that be the M 8 :D

Yeah, it's in the swear filter. I'm blaming Shuggee for that one although not sure if it was him or not :D

Posted

Looks like this beefy one might just be clipping the south and east of the city - traffic cams from Straiton to Sherrifhall/Craighall tells the story.

No complaints, it all adds to the city-wide cover and the eastern side has had to take the brunt of any north-sea (ahem) "warming" in the cold spell.

Not tonight though ... sledging in the Pans tomorrow I think !

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Don't see any reason why, it's in Glasgow and so SHOULD (:D) the supporters.

...Of which thousands are season ticket holders outwith Glasgow travelling to the game (along M 8 and other routes, early doors due to 12:30pm kick-off) :D

Edited by Mondy

Yeah, it's in the swear filter. I'm blaming Shuggee for that one although not sure if it was him or not :D

also the mod*rn era christmas pudding thing should be changed, as it's now the 2nd of Jan :D

Posted

Hi SR... That big blob over you on the radar is heading due-west (would speculate you might get a heavy 15-20 minutes worth) ....incoming Embra !

Well the shower has been and gone now, its stopped snowing now. That was some 20 mins of snow, really really heavy as SnowyOwl said. Tremendous shower, if only it could have done that for a few hours we would be talking a foot of snow :D Has dumped a thick covering of a few cm's here by the look of it.

Looks like a direct hit for the burgh too according to the radar, hope the eastern side of Edinburgh, including Leith get what we had, but the west side up by Sighthill and Wester Hailes would be greedy asking for anymore :D

Posted

Stopped snowing quite quickly a little bit back... Still got my fingers crossed for another little treat tonight, before bed :D

I'd be delighted if we were to get heavy snow on Tuesday and/or Wednesday :D

Posted

Looks like this beefy one might just be clipping the south and east of the city - traffic cams from Straiton to Sherrifhall/Craighall tells the story.

No complaints, it all adds to the city-wide cover and the eastern side has had to take the brunt of any north-sea (ahem) "warming" in the cold spell.

Not tonight though ... sledging in the Pans tomorrow I think !

Sledge at the ready right enough by-tor. Not enough snow to get a decent use but hopefully we can keep what we have now until the bigger stuff comes in Tuesday onwards, that would be a first for Viva la Pans, the 4 degrees we have seen here over the past week is positivily tropical by current standards is it not :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Would that be the M 8 rofl.gif

Indeed it is - glad you enjoyed the word play smile.gif it even had a sign up for those of us unsure why we were driving at 25 mph..

Photo023.jpg

Edited by lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Got back from my attempt to get to the football at Falkirk today to find my youngest moaning that the the sledging was now too slow. Problem was new snow above the icy frozen stuff meant it wasn't excitng enough for them.

Shows how good this spell has been so far in that they are now moaning about how fast their sledge can go. In most recent winters they were lucky to get sledging at all.

Posted

No sign yet of showers off the North Sea dieing away as forecast - few more lined up for landfall yet :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

No sign yet of showers off the North Sea dieing away as forecast - few more lined up for landfall yet smile.gif

I've been barred from lamping, but by the looks of the radar a streamer has set up from the outer Tay estuary to my house! Last time I checked outside it was snowing heavily. I believe I underestimated the length of the convective showers, as these ones appear to be feeding off that band of incredibly light stuff right along the north and northeast coasts.

LS

Posted

Indeed Shuggee ... looks like theres a few stringier ones out there - and they might even beef up - but they've got the right general orientation approaching the estuary here ... looks like someone may pick up a few cms ... anywhere from Gullane to Queensferry and south-west of these parts.

Maybe even Embra :good:

You talking about the metoffice forecast ? They just don't pick up easterlies in east-central Scotland at all well. Despite the fact this must have been a winter feature at various times since the last ice-age :whistling:

No sign yet of showers off the North Sea dieing away as forecast - few more lined up for landfall yet :)

Edited by by-tor

Posted

You talking about the metoffice forecast ? They just don't pick up easterlies in east-central Scotland at all well. Despite the fact this must have been a winter feature at various times since the last ice-age whistling.gif

They are rather pathetic with easterlies. I mean, most people with a decent knowledge of our weather knows that easterly wind + cold uppers = lots of snow showers. Doesn't take a genius really, but they only called it about 3 hours before the snow started falling!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Capture.jpg

They just keep on materialising... it's a constant..