Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 12

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I will have it,I dont mond, I am not going back offshore for a couple of weeks, so send it my way!!clap.gifclap.gifhelp.gifhelp.gif

We have another big snow shower going on..............must report to the lamp post view point.

Snow is pretty light here, with most of the beefy showers missing us at the moment. Not complaining though - had a decent fall today with more, potentially another foot, in the next 4 days. After that, it's either dry and very cold or,more likely, we pick up an easterly flow to bring even more snow. I hope Monday night's snow is enough to cancel schools, though with all of the roads in a horrendous state and all the snow freezing hard tonight, I doubt it'll take all that much.

LS

Posted

Looks like blizzard conditions in the west side of Edinburgh from the traffic cams, mate is completely covered at claylands with no traffic!

Posted

Snow is pretty light here, with most of the beefy showers missing us at the moment. Not complaining though - had a decent fall today with more, potentially another foot, in the next 4 days. After that, it's either dry and very cold or,more likely, we pick up an easterly flow to bring even more snow. I hope Monday night's snow is enough to cancel schools, though with all of the roads in a horrendous state and all the snow freezing hard tonight, I doubt it'll take all that much.

LS

I am just on the tail end of possible the biggest shower of the day, and are you not straight downwind from me, remembering I am on the east side of Dundee itsself?? We have got good cover again.

Posted

Looks like blizzard conditions in the west side of Edinburgh from the traffic cams, mate is completely covered at claylands with no traffic!

I was just looking at that, hermiston gait looks pretty bad too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Heavier snow now - chucking it down with the small polystyrene ball snow! Looks like we're taking Dundee's showers for the next hour and a half. Pretty band in Edinburgh by the looks of it, with more snow until the early hours, I think. The castle looks beautiful in the snow. http://www.camvista.com/scotland/edinburgh/tattoo.php

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Dispersing freezing fog, hard frost and light snow all at once! Not a breath of wind and clouds moving over from the east, while fog moves in from the west with crystal clear skies in between - I love this cold spell!

Posted

Here's a question. When approx will mild-ish air creep in over this prolonged cool spell we're having already? I mean, when will a major thaw or just plain rain occur (to wash away the snow and pack ice?) I don't particularly want to see a warmer side things, but I wonder when an end to this might be in the off-ing?

*Don't shoot me - just curious!*

Posted

Here's a question. When approx will mild-ish air creep in over this prolonged cool spell we're having already? I mean, when will a major thaw or just plain rain occur (to wash away the snow and pack ice?) I don't particularly want to see a warmer side things, but I wonder when an end to this might be in the off-ing?

April rofl.gif

Posted

Not sure when the Atlantic is going to kick in, but I guess May before our pack ice is finally lost!!! :p

Posted

You sure? They way they were talking in the model thread last night i am pretty sure we are entering a new ice age! rofl.gif

Looking at my garden .............we have , and we are nearly talking about armagadon forecasts for this week.

Possible a good point that was made earlier that if a 50cm fall happenes in one of the mjor cities, with no thaw straight after, there is going to be tears, but I still fancy one here.

The potentail from convective showers must be massive. We have only had a few big ones this afternoon and have a good covering..........think if we get a run of a couple of days from the NE. crazy.gif

Posted

Easy answer is - it isn't in the offing!! The only way about it I sometimes see in FI is if the block over Scandi tilts, allowing a southeasterly then a southerly, followed by low pressure coming back at us from the west. However, given the track of the jetstream, I severly doubt that the low would do anything other than track south of us, bringing in an easterly followed by a northerly with the block returning. If you look at archive charts, you see that once the block is there for about 15 days, it tends to take a lot of shifting, even if it is temporarily displaced it tends to return to the north or west of us.

I think we're in it for the long run

LS

edit: Direct hit from a long line of heavy showers for Fifers in about 30 minutes, I think.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

There's a truly big dollop of snow coming for Lothian and Fife in the next hour. 850s now between -10 and -11ºC... Turn up that central heating!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

I think the time might come when the sight of grass, 7c and a blowy south-westerly with sunshine and rain showers might seem like an attractive prospect for many of us, even you LS :unknw: I suspect that time is not yet here though. If we can clock up 4-5 weeks of solid cold and snow then we're creating a new page in the weather record books (maybe a chapter). Beyond that we'd be competing with 1947 and 1963 ... anyway, one step at at time....

In saying that, I'm aware that for many oldies, this is all a bit grim so there should be a call to arms coming out from goverenment and local authorities to help our neighbours.

Being a big kid for a second though I'm looking forward to 2 possibilities. And likely possibilities at that !

1) Deepening of the cold and snow over the coming 7 days with perhaps significant convective snowfall (lap of the gods, crudely depends on the wind ... whether N, NNE, NE,ENE or E ...its cold enough and somebody somewhere gets hammered by it during the next week)

2) A bonspiel must be on the on the cards (Loch Earn ????). Tried to google about for current conditions. But those in the know must be keeping a close eye on things ? Might need another 7-10+ days of frost ... but thats surely on the cards and with some severe frosts likely over the period.

Can't help ramping... and saying that we are now approaching un-be-liev-able territory.

Easy answer is - it isn't in the offing!! The only way about it I sometimes see in FI is if the block over Scandi tilts, allowing a southeasterly then a southerly, followed by low pressure coming back at us from the west. However, given the track of the jetstream, I severly doubt that the low would do anything other than track south of us, bringing in an easterly followed by a northerly with the block returning. If you look at archive charts, you see that once the block is there for about 15 days, it tends to take a lot of shifting, even if it is temporarily displaced it tends to return to the north or west of us.

I think we're in it for the long run

LS

edit: Direct hit from a long line of heavy showers for Fifers in about 30 minutes, I think.

Edited by by-tor

Posted

I think the time might come when the sight of grass, 7c and a blowy south-westerly with sunshine and rain showers might seem like an attractive prospect for many of us, even you LS laugh.gif I suspect that time is not yet here though. If we can clock up 4-5 weeks of solid cold and snow then we're creating a new page in the weather record books (maybe a chapter). Beyond that we'd be competing with 1947 and 1963 ... anyway, one step at at time....

In saying that I'm aware that for many oldies, this is all a bit grim so there should be a call to arms coming out from goverenment and local authorities to help our neighbours.

Being a big kid for a second though I'm looking forward to 2 possibilities. And likely possibilities at that !

1) Deepening of the cold and snow over the coming 7 days with perhaps significant convective snowfall (lap of the gods, crudely depends on the wind ... whether N, NNE, NE,ENE or E ...its cold enough and somebody somewhere gets hammered by it by this time next week)

2) A bonspiel must be on the on the cards (Loch Earn ????). Tried to google about for current conditions. But those in the know must be keeping a close eye on things ? Might need another 7-10+ days of frost ... but thats on the cards and with some severe frosts likely over the period.

Can't help ramping... and saying that we are now approaching un-be-liev-able territory.

Do we know of any record of how much could be produced or has in the past been produced by convective showers??

Posted

There's a truly big dollop of snow coming for Lothian and Fife in the next hour. 850s now between -10 and -11ºC... Turn up that central heating!

I really hope it doesn't dive south of here. What are your thoughts? I know central Fife will take a pasting but my worry is my little corner in the north will miss it!

Do we know of any record of how much could be produced or has in the past been produced by convective showers??

Allegedly, in 1987 a foot from purely convective showers was reached in Fife, Lothians and Angus.

Posted

I fear EDB may indeed only get the edge LS. But the last two bands of showers have become invigorated when passing through the Forth filling the gaps. We shall see!!

Posted

post-6860-12624692356713_thumb.jpg

This is a pic of my street on 22nd dec,unbelievably it still looks exactly the same today.Long may it continue!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Hey all

Nice little fresh covering of snow in Glasgow today. Snow on and off for most of the day which has in most places in the suburbs covered over the ice, although where I am it hasn't really managed to disguise the ice so much, probably because of the height of the buildings and the amount of people walking around.

Seems to be frosting over for the night now so don't expect much more in the way of snow, unless someone can tell me otherwise... :cold:

Just on the issue of a thaw, I'm loving this spell of weather as much as the rest of you (aren't we such a bunch of big kids!) but I'm starting to spare a thought for those who are utterly hating it. Some old folk really aren't liking this amount of snow - and more importantly, ice - at all, especially when the councils just haven't done anything to clear pavements or anything. I'm now starting to worry about older members of my family when it comes to being out on the icy streets now. Worth bearing in mind I suppose but that's not so much the cold itself but councils' incompetence in keeping the streets clear.

Another issue I have is with people who clear snow away thinking it makes things better. It doesn't, as when night falls the bit they've cleared away becomes much more slippy than the snowy bits. Anyway, apologies for the rant, it's now over.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Why is Abdn aIways in th wrong position for significant snowfaII???? :cold:

:p:p

because it's not in Yorkshire... :D

(or you'd be saying, 'Eeee, why is Aberdeen...?')

;):p:D:p:p