Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 12

Ross B

Posted

We've had 2 showers in as many hours with the current one pretty heavy, just about everything white again apart from the long grass.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

In Edinburgh: Not had as many severe frosts as we had in some of the 70's/80's spells (that you would also have shared in). A -12c and a -9c at the airport are the two coldest nights we've had - but lots of moderate frost and barely above freezing days has frozen the canal solid from the middle of town and heading westwards.

City wide we've had snow lying in the suburbs for 17 days (where my in-laws live at Liberton and others in the south and west side of the city) ... and in the middle of town (Princes Street/St Andrew square etc) we've retained patchier but visible snow covered areas through the same period (most of that turned to ice). Warmest temperature (only for an hour or so) we had recorded at the airport has been 4c. Ground is frozen and theres enough "cold intertia" in it to hold onto snow even when we've had sleet or cold rain. The earlier stuff is of course all ice/crusted by now.

If the models hold out for 2 weeks of cold to come, we'll have clocked up a calendar month of cold, ice and snow. That would start to put us up here in the same kind of ballpark of 1947 and 1963 I'd think , let alone the 70's and 80's....

Sounds incredible to me. Just a shame there hasn't been more media coverage. Hearing reports, on here, of some amazing snow depths, in excess of a foot, was a real surprise. How does this cold spell rank amongst the rest for those of you that have done extremely well so far ?

Posted

Sounds incredible to me. Just a shame there hasn't been more media coverage. Hearing reports, on here, of some amazing snow depths, in excess of a foot, was a real surprise. How does this cold spell rank amongst the rest for those of you that have done extremely well so far ?

Many older folks saying they haven't see the likes for 30 years. Chatting to the neighbours today we reckon it's not as deep as we've seen it on some one off occasions, but it is certainly the longest lying for many a year. We personally here have no drifting yet as the piles are frozen solid. You know it's going on for a long time when it just becomes part of your daily routine to do some snow clearing :)

In all it's amazing!! The snow we got this morning has not budged all day it's still sitting about 3-4cm deep on the tree branches, we were all admiring the broom earlier too, normally quite uninteresting but even it has snow lying on the individual stems and looks beautiful.

.. though I have to admit I'm getting a little worried about the deep low temps being forecast too

Posted

Big mistake not having the snow chains ready for Craiglockhart :) but an incredible journey from the margins of cold and snow in Leith to the non-marginal embedded going-nowhere fast can only get better/deeper/colder suburbs of Craiglockhart, Colinton, Juniper Green etc etc etc

6.5 miles and maybe 400 feet or so .. from slushy/urban snow to beautiful winter wonderland all in the same city, incredible !

Amazing eh. My pal in Bathgate says it's like Lapland. Hope it was a fun run out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Certainly the longest lying snow that we've had, now at 16 days with temperatures reaching as low as -15'C. The snow isn't as heavy as 2003 although that only lasted for four days. With the snow forecast to add another foot or so over the next few days and temperatures expected to absolutely plummet below -20'C especially in the Highlands, come next weekend this will be the most severe cold spell in the central Highlands since the 80s.

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

.. though I have to admit I'm getting a little worried about the deep low temps being forecast too

I haven't really been following the progged temps - any simple charts which anyone can put up to show these poss temps ? :)

On the MetO site they're showing rain for Glasgow Bishopton during the late morning/lunchtime period today. Surely not? I was at Haggs Castle and the snow was heavy.

Haggs Castle is quite a distance from Bishopton, however:

Glasgow Bishopton weather station is a freak of nature!! It always seems warmer than anything around it, it was showing rain showers this morning when I had snow just 3.5 miles away, a whole 50m higher in altitude. I have a real issue with this weather station as it always seems to record relatively warm temps and rain when all else around is snow. Glasgow Airport is just a few miles away from Bishopton and is quite often signifigantly colder, although I suspect the airport is something of a cold air/frost hollow. I have seen differences in these two stations of anything up to 5C recently. It is not a co-incidence that Glasgow Bishopton is used by the government for calculating cold weather payments for the whole of Greater Glasgow as it is a lot warmer in winter time than much of Glasgow. Anyway I am now ranting :o Not like me at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I haven't really been following the progged temps - any simple charts which anyone can put up to show these poss temps ? :o

This chart shows temperatures getting down towards -25'C.

ukmintemp.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

This is our third winter in the Borders (previously Edinburgh and the snowless North Berwick) and this is the most snow/cold I remember scotland-wide for many years.

Being quite high up and to the east, we've been picking up a lot of showers when they come from the E to NE. 16 days of lying snow, with falling snow on at least half. Min T so far was -8.5 C, with a max of 2.4 C last wednesday when we actually had a slight thaw.

Today it has been snowing on and off all day. On my picnic bench we now officially have 25 cm lying. T maxed at 1.3 C today, now -0.5 and dropping fast.

What we have is nothing compared to my folks in Carrbridge (near Aviemore, just south of Slochd on the A9). They have over a foot and are basically stuck; only people with 4x4's or winter tyres are going anywhere.

They also have to take care of falling tree branches due to them breaking under the weight of snow. Check photos from their garden.

The last time I saw that much snow hanging about in the Highlands for that long was back in the 80's.

post-9421-12624537297113_thumb.jpg

post-9421-12624537453113_thumb.jpg

Posted

Dont think we will see anything here, had a few flurries thismorning, and some rain but thats bn it. Maybe we will get a flake or two!

Posted

Been out at the football todaycray.gif but we have had great snow toady. I guess about a new inch, so thats fine. Everything looks fresh again.

I am correct from the charts that there is possible more NE winds and very low temps most of this week, if not even beyond.help.gifhelp.gif Convective showers rulerofl.gifrofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

According to traffic scotland, the M9 is currently closed at Newbridge/J1 due to 'adverse weather conditions'.

The A68 at Carter Bar on the border ~20 miles south of us has been closed a number of times over the past few days. Currently whiteout again at Soutra; thankfully I don't have to go to work (Edinburgh) until Tuesday. However, the next glaciation should have begun by them so I might have to take a few days off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Well today's showers certainly look like going out with a bang in the next few hours for most - quite a day this has been with another inch or two added back onto the snow depths here.

I reckon showers may continue across central eastern areas for another 3-4 hours, with those in East Lothian and the eastern Borders seeing showers through to midnight.

post-9298-12624558458013_thumb.png

Posted

The Firth of Forth appears to be generating 'lake effect snow' :)

Posted

Already an exceptional spell in Scotland, I'd imagine once all is said and done this will likely be the most severe spell up in Scotland since December-Jan 1981/82.

I have to admit its quite poor that more attention hasn't been given to the severe falls of snow further north, if 20-40cms fell near london it would get endless news coverage!

Also could well come close to some date records with regards to the mins in the highlands, -20C looks quite possible if we get high pressure close enough at any time.

Posted

My best mate and me walked home from Tolccross in the middle of town to Slateford - on the canal - after a drunken night in December 1981. The deep snow and severe frost in that arctic spell made it unbreakable (and god knows we tried, the perils of drink...) He works in the West Indies now but this shot from today is heading his way to remind him .... and give it another week of frost I might give it another go myself (I have to factor in the 40lb weight gain since 1981 !)

post-9506-12624566926913_thumb.jpg

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Leith has just stretched the citys white blanket back down to the shore.

Whats happening outside this past 17 days ... and today ... and whats reliably progged to happen ... is Fantasy Island stuff ... except this time its actually happening !

Unbelievable !:wallbash:

The Firth of Forth appears to be generating 'lake effect snow' :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The Firth of Forth appears to be generating 'lake effect snow' laugh.gif

Sadly the Tay hasn't really generated anything, so we've been dry for an hour and a half. Looks like more on the way soon though.

Posted

weve had about 2-3cm in 15 mins. throwing it down

Aye, perfect conditions this evening - hopefully another 3 or 4 hours to come

Could have another 3 inches here by morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well roads to Mayfield, nr Dalkeith police closed road. Hearing slip roads off M9 treacherous and most impassable. as is Penicuik and all around that area even with a 4 x 4.

Roads around East Lothian were bad enough this afternoon without more puffy snow!! so no going out tonight.

Snow is off here just now but we have had a good dumping of another inch or so at least but i'm not going out to check! :wallbash: