Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 12

Ross B

Posted

Yes, a bonspeil on Loch Leven last happened in 1959 so it would be great to get the old ice skates on and go for a skate.

http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=5489

And these pics are worth a little look... the sea freezing over....

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2942&p=17708

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Looks like landfall may be NW Edinburgh/Queensferry and Livingston (as always !)

Angle of approach a bit shallow and for once, "5 degrees more North" in the wind would hit Embra full on. Anyway, might be a few hours of this yet and we only have to get lucky once or twice to add to things... :cold:

I fear EDB may indeed only get the edge LS. But the last two bands of showers have become invigorated when passing through the Forth filling the gaps. We shall see!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Looks like landfall may be NW Edinburgh/Queensferry and Livingston (as always !)

Angle of approach a bit shallow and for once, "5 degrees more North" in the wind would hit Embra full on. Anyway, might be a few hours of this yet and we only have to get lucky once or twice to add to things... good.gif

We need a shallower angle for it to really hit us! Rather annoying, but maybe we'll catch some of it.

Posted

There's a truly big dollop of snow coming for Lothian and Fife in the next hour. 850s now between -10 and -11ºC... Turn up that central heating!

Got my fingers crossed :) But you rarely get it wrong! :good:How big a dollop would you say it was...? :lol:

Also, Good Luck LS, hope you get some if it!

Posted

I don't know the metoffice record for these parts but in the days when I kept records, I did measure 40 cms of level snow at the end of a virtual whiteout 24-36 hours in February 1978. Fairmilehead at the top of town (600ft ASL) had some drifts up to the level of bungalow rooftop gutters.

That was all convective, no frontal stuff at all.

Edit: I wasn't totally scientific in those days, using my dads metal tape measure down to the car park surface outside the multi-story block where I grew up. Depth might have been altered (for better or worse) by "tower-block vortex" ? :lol:

Do we know of any record of how much could be produced or has in the past been produced by convective showers??

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Got my fingers crossed smile.gif But you rarely get it wrong! :good:How big a dollop would you say it was...? laugh.gif

Also, Good Luck LS, hope you get some if it!

Thanks, nothing here so far- what do you think?post-9298-12624701772013_thumb.png

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I don't know the metoffice record for these parts but in the days when I kept records, I did measure 40 cms of level snow at the end of a virtual whiteout 24-36 hours in February 1978. Fairmilehead at the top of town (600ft ASL) had some drifts up to the level of bungalow rooftops.

January 1987 did have a foot of snow in a narrow band down the East coast of Scotland. Deepest official recording I saw was 40 cms at Kinross. Nor much further inland there was only a few centimetres. In Feb 1978 both Edinburgh and Dundee plus East Fife got 30cms plus but due to the blizzards in the West Country it was hardly mentioned in the press.

Posted

There's a truly big dollop of snow coming for Lothian and Fife in the next hour. 850s now between -10 and -11ºC... Turn up that central heating!

Im watching this one closely. Here in Prestonpans we have had snow showers off and on all day but have only really got a covering, no actual snow depth of any note although everywhere is white, including roads and has been for hours now. If that shower hits us we would be looking at at least a few cm's i think, looks like its hitting around dunbar, north berwick almost head on so i might only sneak part of it? :lol:

Edit: Some big flakes starting to fall.....

Edited by SuperRangers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

I was working tonight and had the mispleasure of having to drive the mate from Livingston to Edinburgh.

The traffic cams don't do it justice - if the freeze kicks in overnight .. Altnaharra @ -11 just now and this extends south , then these roads are in trouble.

The traffic reports I heard from across Edinburgh are just repeating the same - an early sign of the trouble this weather can cause with an eye on Tuesday / Wednesday.

This is J2 Claylands heading west.. down to one lane and remember this is Scotlands busies Motorway the main arterial route between Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Photo027.jpg

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

I don't know the metoffice record for these parts but in the days when I kept records, I did measure 40 cms of level snow at the end of a virtual whiteout 24-36 hours in February 1978. Fairmilehead at the top of town (600ft ASL) had some drifts up to the level of bungalow rooftops.

Edit: I wasn't totally scientific in those days, using my dads metal tape measure down to the car park surface outside the multi-story block where I grew up. Depth might have been altered (for better or worse) by "tower-block vortex" ? laugh.gif

Well here is hoping........the charts are certainly pointing to the east side of north and very low temps so this could be a major snow week.

Edited by Snowplough33

Posted

From a NIMBY perspective I think its one of those truly frustrating showers ... a gap in the middle to avoid central Embra ... and all diving NW and SE of us.

Boo-hoo :lol:

Thanks, nothing here so far- what do you think?post-9298-12624701772013_thumb.png

LS

Posted

I was working tonight and had the mispleasure of having to drive the mate from Livingston to Edinburgh.

<snip>

This is J2 Claylands heading west.. down to one lane and remember this is Scotlands busies Motorway the main arterial route between Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Great photo lorenzo - that looks tricky!

Posted

Snowing pretty lightly now here - hopefully those showers just east of the Tay will move southwest !

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Absolutely chucking it down with snow here again!!!

Posted

Edinburgh looks like its getting a pasting. any reports on how much has fallen in past couple hours?

Posted

Absolutely chucking it down with snow here again!!!

Yep, those big flakes seem to be gradually turning to more heavy snow now, slowly but surely, c'mon you can do it :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Looking at the radar, some of you guys down in Lothian must be getting plastered!

The bits coming in to here off the firth are fizzling out now, just a few light flurries really. The prospect of Monday night is making me drool...

Posted

To my untrained eye, it appears the break has moved south and filled in from the northeast. Can Hiya confirm heavier snow in Cupar?

Posted

This is a really incredible spell of weather now. I think over 12 inches lying here now and probably the deepest snow cover since Jan 87 ! The snow showers today have been so heavy with no let up yet.

With the continued cold outlook who knows what depths of snow we shall all reach ! rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Its certainly trying hard to top up these snow levels quickly. We've had showers on and off since early afternoon here. But to be honest amounts to start with were only around 1" or so but its adding and adding so who knows where we'll end up. Big lumps of showers heading in for a bit yet methinks.

Edit : should have said amounts of todays snow only on top of approx 4-6 inches of snow and ice

Edited by snowy owl

Posted

To my untrained eye, it appears the break has moved south and filled in from the northeast. Can Hiya confirm heavier snow in Cupar?

At this very minute it is not snowing, however a heavy shower has just passed.

Posted

Yep, those big flakes seem to be gradually turning to more heavy snow now, slowly but surely, c'mon you can do it :yahoo:

Did your snow almost disappear today being near the sea?

Visited Edinburgh today and near the coast (Leith/the shore) it was almost snowless in parts by the sea.

Posted

Hi PS ... are you up Currie/Balerno way ? It was bad enough at Colinton today so you guys must be laying down your own glacier by now ... I expect to see it streaming down the Lanark Road next week :yahoo:

This is a really incredible spell of weather now. I think over 12 inches lying here now and probably the deepest snow cover since Jan 87 ! The snow showers today have been so heavy with no let up yet.

With the continued cold outlook who knows what depths of snow we shall all reach ! rolleyes.gif

Edited by by-tor