Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 12

Ross B

Posted

I seem to remember lots of very cold anticyclonic Februarys and early Marches in the sixties and seventies with lots of severe frost when all that could be done on the farm was feeding livestock and cutting and burning gorse and broom. All the snow we had was from earlier falls in the winter many of which had been through several thaws and were sometimes patchy on the ground. For sustained snowfall these last 2 weeks have been memorable and if we get another 2 weeks of sustained snowfall then we would have to go back to 62 winter for similar conditions

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

A couple are more backed up to the mouth of the estuary. Using my fuzzy projections I'd think landfall likely North-West Embra/Queensferry but if I'm wrong by a few degrees then Edinburgh wide in the next hour.

Aye, perfect conditions this evening - hopefully another 3 or 4 hours to come

Could have another 3 inches here by morning

Posted

Stopped in Craigleith, Snowing with you?

Aye, about 30 mins ago but that shower dropped about an inch here in 45 mins

A couple are more backed up to the mouth of the estuary. Using my fuzzy projections I'd think landfall likely North-West Embra/Queensferry but if I'm wrong by a few degrees then Edinburgh wide in the next hour.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weatherradar/

Im looking at the little bad boy just passing Gullane

Coom on :)

Posted

Sadly the Tay hasn't really generated anything, so we've been dry for an hour and a half. Looks like more on the way soon though.

We have just had another good shower there, heavy and the wind still seems strong which has to help

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

We have just had another good shower there, heavy and the wind still seems strong which has to help

Snowing very lightly now here, but the sky is very heavy and red again so I think we might get some more.

Posted

Snowing very lightly now here, but the sky is very heavy and red again so I think we might get some more.

Its amazing how pleaseing a few beefy showers are when you have missed out for a few days!!clap.gifclap.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Its amazing how pleaseing a few beefy showers are when you have missed out for a few days!!clap.gifclap.gif

Same, the best here was from 11-12 and from 3-4. The latter was incredibly heavy and I swear I heard thunder.

Posted

Same, the best here was from 11-12 and from 3-4. The latter was incredibly heavy and I swear I heard thunder.

Prepared to have a bash at what to expect over the next couple of days???rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

My god its gonna snow really heavy - a gritter has just appeared in our street - first i've seen it going round our street in the village this cold spell!!!

Just had another heavy shower too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just got home from reaching as far as Linlithgow by train for the Falkirk v Saints game. Delays / no info / snowing hard when I got home.

Oh Well. Always another day :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Temperatures falling very quickly, -6'C with freezing fog. Well spotted Lady Pakal with that small band of precipitation, looks to be producing some small showers so far, keep an eye out though! Heading towards Inverness, Moray and Aberdeenshire I think?

Posted

Oh my shok.gifshok.gif , GSF are basically going for another 2 weeks of cold/very cold. That would surely have to be record for length of cold spell. This week looks mega cold later on!cold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Buoy 62114 is recording dew points of -6'C, the north sea should really be cooling very quickly now!

Posted

Prepared to have a bash at what to expect over the next couple of days???rofl.gif

emm... Cold and snow?? I don't think we'll see the dizzy heights of 4C for a long long time. I doubt we'll scrape 2C for more than an hour or two really. Dewpoints look like being below freezing for pretty much the entirety of the week. As for snowfall, tomorrow looks mainly dry, though a band of showers moving south may give slight accumulations mainly in eastern areas at around 1pm. The next interest will be from the occlusion overnight tomorrow into Monday, though again details of this are fairly patchy and snowfall distribution/amounts are hard to call. The latest fax chart shows it stalling over northern Scotland, which would mean that southern and central areas would stay mainly dry.

PPVI89.png

Monday night into Tuesday brings a more substantial feature - a cold front again pushing south between midday and midnight on Monday, bringing most likely heavy but fairly shortlived snow for many.

PPVJ89.png

Following this is another trough, which brings the possibility of more snow in the early hours of Tuesday from the north.

PPVK89.png

After that, a northeasterly develops, trending eventually towards an easterly, bringing convection showers into eastern areas and increasingly to central areas. In summary, lots going on, with nothing apart from the exceptional easterly potential for Wednesday onwards really sticking out as a huge event. However, all snow from these bands will ie, and therefore some significant accumulations could be built up almost anywhere by Tuesday, even from 3 or 4 fairly moderate snow events. Incidentally, snowcover in my garden is now an even 8 inches, with 6 across the drive and 4 on the wall outside. I reckon there is also a layer of ice about 1cm thick at the bottom of the various layers of snow, and this ice has been on the ground since the 16th! Snowing moderately outside here - that soft hail, which is quite good at lying on almost any surface, though I'd still rather have the big dendrites!

LS

Posted

Thanks very much LS.

If it comes off as planned, this could be the big week!!!! Or was that last week, or the week before.

Do you have anything to tell me that I dont want to hear???rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Posted

Taken 15 mins ago, certainly shows good amount of snow streamers in majority of North Sea, Morayshire, Orkney & Shetland and large clumps south of Faroes - some more to come I think.

post-8552-12624629244013_thumb.jpg

post-8552-12624629694913_thumb.png

Posted

Thanks very much LS.

If it comes off as planned, this could be the big week!!!! Or was that last week, or the week before.

Do you have anything to tell me that I dont want to hear???rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Erm.. your heating bills are likely to be astronomical??laugh.gif

In summary, lots going on, with nothing apart from the exceptional easterly potential for Wednesday onwards really sticking out as a huge event.

There is a vast load of potential for a vast amount of snow somewhere in Scotland any time over the next week or more (and I mean as a stand alone event/events, not including what is already on the ground).

There are some very very cold 500hpa temps moving into Norway and even down over the UK by Tuesday early morning with/behind the cold front.

Erm.. your heating bills are likely to be astronomical??laugh.gif

If it gets really bad, that might be the last of our worries. It has been a bit of a phoney cold spell here in terms of how much it has affected everyday life. It wouldn't take much to make things very difficult very quickly though. Just look at some of the snow pics from up north. Great to look at; but to live with???

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

There is a vast load of potential for a vast amount of snow somewhere in Scotland any time over the next week or more (and I mean as a stand alone event/events, not including what is already on the ground).

There are some very very cold 500hpa temps moving into Norway and even down over the UK by Tuesday early morning with/behind the cold front.

If it gets really bad, that might be the last of our worries. It has been a bit of a phoney cold spell here in terms of how much it has affected everyday life. It wouldn't take much to make things very difficult very quickly though. Just look at some of the snow pics from up north. Great to look at; but to live with???

I will have it,I dont mind, I am not going back offshore for a couple of weeks, so send it my way!!clap.gifclap.gifhelp.gifhelp.gif

We have another big snow shower going on..............must report to the lamp post view point.

Edited by Snowplough33

Posted

Well my parents (both in their 60's) have told me that they cant recall a cold spell with snow falling every morning for 2 weeks and thundersnow in the past 20-30 years, my aunt in inverness says she cant recall this much snow etc since the mid 80's, so with another possible 2 weeks of cold weather and a major snow event mid-week, this really could be on of our best winter (worst) since the 40's-50's-60's and if the prjected temps are slightly worse than forecast for the highlands this could be the year where we hit -30oC!!!!

Just think for a moment...imagine telling your kids or grand kids that you remember the winter of 2009 and it being -30oC...tell you something, never thought i'd have that opportunity, it'll save my parents telling me "you dont know what cold is...when i was young we had this and that"...

Quite like the idea of proving them wrong so GFS, you can just be correct!! :)