Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

There's a decent amount of snow again where the snow has melted, I'd say 3cm without bothering to measure. It looks deep on the grass where it didn't really melt much yesterday :whistling:

It's still snowing now as well, and I can see more snow clouds on their way :girl_devil:

Edited by alza

Posted

Well a recovery has occured here and we got a lightish covering(about 1-2CM) where the snow thawed and obviously added to the snow covering where less of a thaw has taken place.

Fairly surprised by the intensity of that last shower but with light upper winds, it lasted a while so all was good.

Looking forward too next week a little more now, i'm going to try and not watch any BBC forecast because there constant changes in the graphics would tear your hair out. At the end of the day, the radar has the final say and not those fancy graphics and nor does the GFS PPN charts.

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted

Well a recovery has occured here and we got a lightish covering(about 1-2CM) where the snow thawed and obviously added to the snow covering where less of a thaw has taken place.

Fairly surprised by the intensity of that last shower but with light upper winds, it lasted a while so all was good.

Looking forward too next week a little more now, i'm going to try and not watch any BBC forecast because there constant changes in the graphics would tear your hair out. At the end of the day, the radar has the final say and not those fancy graphics and nor does the GFS PPN charts.

yip radar only for me aswell lol.

Posted

Maybe not but they certinaly give a good idea as to where we can expect snow. Maybe not so accuratley for showers but definatley so for bands of longer spells of percipitation

:girl_devil:

SNOW-MAN2006

Posted

Snowing lightly here with the temperature at -2c,I would think we have had about 3 cm since midnight last night and as there is absolutely no wind these showers will last a while-all in all a beautiful day.

Posted

hi folks, had a shower hre which was nice. about 2cms i think.

keep an eye on the preip which is forming to the noth

post-2491-12625111006413_thumb.png

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Just had around 40-50 mins of mostly light snow(adding a couple of cm to the sporadic short falls we had during the night) but looking at the NW 5min radar is showing a more prolonged spell coming down the east coast currently just clipping the Northumberland coast around Alnwick, mostly light but has a heavier core around 2-4" p/hr.

Posted

From other reports it looks like my area did very well overnight, another heavy ssnow shower just finished and has topped the overnight fall up to 8cm, temp now -1.1.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Its been snowing here for over an hour, heavy for around 20 mins. i would say another inch has fallen, puttting the covering back to where it was before the melt. This could last all day. Classic. We will remember this for some time. The only thing missing now (at lower levels) is a blizzard with drifting snow....???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Lovely Moderate/Heavy Snow Shower here now big flakes

Posted

has been snowing continuously here now for 1 and 3/4 hrs, mainly light.Looking forward to those beefier looking showers to the north getting here.Funny isn't it. Even yesterday the forecasts were all predicting Sunday would be the driest day of this current spell and then hey ho, if these showers keep going, and I see no sign of them disipating, it could well turn out to be the snowiest day in the region so far. True what they say about forecasting snoe eh?

Karl

ps heavier now, bring it on baby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Lovely Heavy Snow atm :D

Posted

Maybe not but they certinaly give a good idea as to where we can expect snow. Maybe not so accuratley for showers but definatley so for bands of longer spells of percipitation

:D

SNOW-MAN2006

So true, i will admittedly would watch the forecasts but only when i know when the graphics would updatees and see what they say on the latest developments. I will admit i would watch every forecast if a cold ramper presenter is doing the forecast, especially if it's Rob McElwee.

On the model front, fairly promising, but hope and prey the GFS does not come off, it has higher pressure nearly over us thus its much more risky of getting widespread and heavier showers. Thankfully at this moment in time, its on its own regarding the pressure pattern at 90 hours as the UKMO/ECM are suggesting a stronger flow at that point.

Also prey that the UKMO is the most accurate as that keeps the snow risk going for longest.

Posted

Ah looks like Darlington is under a snow dome this morning. Just seen the last group of showers pass either side of the place missing us. Still, we got a covering last night again of a few cm's but nothing major.

Here's hoping for a bit more over the course of the day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

10cm on the ground at the moment- unfortunately the stuff yesterday that partially thawed in the sleety stuff yesterday froze over before fresh snow fell on top of it, creating some ice underneath the fresh powder snow. (This has been a common feature of this cold spell- melting then refreezing leading to ice). The powder snow last night replaced the snow that thawed yseterday but we still aren't up to the 12cm of New Year's Day- yet.

Posted

10cm on the ground at the moment- unfortunately the stuff yesterday that partially thawed in the sleety stuff yesterday froze over before fresh snow fell on top of it, creating some ice underneath the fresh powder snow. (This has been a common feature of this cold spell- melting then refreezing leading to ice). The powder snow last night replaced the snow that thawed yseterday but we still aren't up to the 12cm of New Year's Day- yet.

Morning Ian, very slippy with the ice hiding under the fresh snowfall, cant see a thaw today (at the moment) especially as surface winds are coming off the land (westerly) and not off the relatively warm sea, probably will swing later but dont think it will alter the ppn as uppers are -10 and below.

Posted

Looks like this snow on the radar over Cramlington/Blyth area is dying a death just got patch cloud as far as i can see round here

Temp in Cramlington is -1.5c dew -3.0c