Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Ross B

Posted

it looks like there are some showers heading our way, but they are no way the size or intensity of the ones further north. keep fingers crossed i suppose

There is some huge showers already forming for newcastle and sunderland, they are still over 100 miles out at sea so plenty more time for them to continue to grow before the big ones make landfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I really didn't expect anymore notable snowfall this weekend, but when now that I've run through the radar a few times it seems like the showers are taking a similar pattern to those over S Scotland, and that we could well end up with yet another snow event tonight. A good top up of 4-5cm is looking like a reasonable guess, but I wouldn't be surprised for some places to get about 3cm and others to get 7-10cm. Keep watching the radar folks!

Edited by alza

Posted

The snow showers are almost upon us now! :)

Posted

There is some huge showers already forming for newcastle and sunderland, they are still over 100 miles out at sea so plenty more time for them to continue to grow before the big ones make landfall.

i can see showers, but not huge. look like 10 minute jobbies to me - not that i'd complain with that :)

the showers 80 miles north on the borders are bigger and heavier by the looks of raintoday

Posted

The 19:00 radar image shows showers way out in the North Sea heading for our area which are about as intense as those in S Scotland. As I said earlier, it will take a couple of hours before the showers get going properly, the problem is how long they will have before the pressure becomes to high and they die back.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Just had a short sharp graupel shower, just caught the southern edge of the shower. Still looks promising for more running in through tonight.

Posted

light snow flurry in byker now doesn't appear to be melting

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Currently +0.9c with the dew point reading -2.7c here in North Kenton

Posted

Must've been snowing as there are a few flakes on the car :)

'Meto invent' radar is quite good if you don't have access to the Netweather one, you can clearly see reds appearing in the showers, like in SE Scotland.

Posted

Must've been snowing as there are a few flakes on the car :diablo:

'Meto invent' radar is quite good if you don't have access to the Netweather one, you can clearly see reds appearing in the showers, like in SE Scotland.

i'm still not convinced that we will get many showers, but i really hope i am wrong. from what i've seen the showers have been weekening as they move towards land.

on the plus note, temp down to 0.3oC now :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

We had a snow shower at 7:10 for 5minuites and gave a dusting are many more coming? :drinks:

Posted

We had a snow shower at 7:10 for 5minuites and gave a dusting are many more coming? :drinks:

just got to keep watching the radar my friend!

post-2491-12624638835313_thumb.png

Posted

i'm still not convinced that we will get many showers, but i really hope i am wrong. from what i've seen the showers have been weekening as they move towards land.

on the plus note, temp down to 0.3oC now :)

I have to agree, even those heavier ones out into the North Sea looks hit and miss, if you get one, you might get some accumulations but i don't expect too see much of a top up here sadly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Marginality should not be an issue, even at the coast- a wind off the sea and 0.6C here. All depends on where the showers do and don't hit.

Posted

tws we just mean that the showers are fizzling out and not that big, so if you get one will be marginal, not if it would be snow/rain. I think we can defintely be safe to say it would be snow.

0.0oC here now ! Woo, no more dripping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Not sure about that- to me, the heaviest showers seem to be transferring slowly south? Looking quite good for significant accumulations for some parts of our region overnight, though some areas will largely miss out as I don't think the showers will be as organised as they have been over SE Scotland.

Posted

Not sure about that- to me, the heaviest showers seem to be transferring slowly south? Looking quite good for significant accumulations for some parts of our region overnight, though some areas will largely miss out as I don't think the showers will be as organised as they have been over SE Scotland.

The heavier ones are on a crash course to me! yahoo.gif

Posted

No doubt they will miss me and give more snow to those a few miles north of me (literally a few miles!) who have 10cm+ already and I'm sat here with 5cm.

Posted

they are moving in a south east direction, but having watched raintoday zoomed in, the ones which keep trying to make land fall around the newcastle area keep fizzling out.

edinburgh is getting a pasting though :p

Posted

Come on snow come to me laugh.gif

Posted

Chances are that many folks within 10-15 miles of the coast should see some thunder-snow once again this coming Tuesday (as a more vigorous upper-trough heads south-west).

Posted

Alright PP, hows it going!

Can you believe how long the snow has lasted eh?

I've been thoroughly enjoying the snow outdoors of late. Hence why I haven't been posting much on here.

Its heaven.

Posted

Possibly another 7-10 days of snow cover making possibly a month of unbroken snow cover....don't blame you because you'll be unlikely to see that again in your lifetime!