Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Probably 2-5cm accumulating by midday tomorrow I reckon, maybe more if you end up trapped under a snow streamer.

The biggest snowfalls look like holding off until 5 January which is probably just as well for me as I have to travel down to Norwich that day. It means I'll miss the largest aggregate depths in Cleadon, but there's a chance that Norwich could end up with a similar amount, as the main focus of snow showers may transfer towards East Anglia- but in the North East there will have a deeper base of snow cover for the showers to add to.

Oh good so im going to see some decent snowfall smile.gif

Currently startingh to snow lovely and laying straight away and now stopped but the dusting is wonderful any little specs of snow are just laying there smile.gif

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Don't bank on it. How much were you thinking you'd get over the last 48 hours and how much did you actually get?

Snow showers = roll of the dice.

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Here in the North East DECEMBER 2009 MEAN TEMPERATURE 2.25C was the coldest DECEMBER since 1999 where the average mean temperature was just 2.0c

Posted

Snowing moderately here now and laying on impact only small flakes now stopping as clear skies are moving in again but every snow shower is laying on impact biggrin.gif still snowing looks like cloud is moving back in! :shok:

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Moderate to heavy snow here in South Shields, just looked out of my daughters bedroom window facing south and to the SE i could see fantastic cloud structure with an anvil, looked superb illuminated by the moon, would have watched it for any lightning but i was in the middle of scrubbing my carpet as i'd spilt a full glass of the finest claret...:shok:..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Looks like a decent shower heading for Newcastle, best so far this evening I think.

EDIT: Very heavy shower going to pass just to my south. Wouldn't be surprised to see a flash from that.

Heavy Graupel Snow here now in Newbottle......... outside temperature is -1.2 and the shiney (take your feet from under you) ice is now covered in Graupel, like ball bearings on ice.....looks like we will be getting showers throughout the night.

This is a gradually unravelling saga of many chapters !!!!!

yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Heavy, albeit short lived, snow shower over Cleadon. Off to bed now, looking forward to the possibility of a few more cm tomorrow. Temperatures oscillating all over the place, varying due to the wind periodically picking up off the sea, and snow showers dragging the temperature below freezing. But never too warm for falling/lying snow- it was even settling at 1.4C earlier thanks to the frozen ground and low dewpoints.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Moderate to heavy snow here adding to the covering earlier in the night. Actually i would say heavy snow now. But I dont expect much as the shower intensity seems to be decresing. My brother just left here and is turning back because of the amount of snow falling. Its now very heavy....

This is very heavy snow i would say 4 inches per hour rate

Posted

light snow in byker at the moment ,had look out back garden its bitter out there,looked out front all melt patches have now got a dusting, sometimes these situations can be good for us low lying areas, will find out in morning

cheers gazza

ps just watched a hilarious film called anchorman laugh.gif

snow heavier nowrolleyes.gif

Edited by gazzac69

Posted

That shower is on the webcams now...

http://www.tynebridgewebcam.com/north.htm

Hoping I can catch the back edge as we've only had one flurry all evening here. Can't complain though still loads on the ground and loads more to come!

I had that film on too, but just in the background. Only time I looked up some woman was beating a man with a TV aerial!

Posted

That shower is on the webcams now...

http://www.tynebridg...m.com/north.htm

Hoping I can catch the back edge as we've only had one flurry all evening here. Can't complain though still loads on the ground and loads more to come!

I had that film on too, but just in the background. Only time I looked up some woman was beating a man with a TV aerial!

I glad the wife did.nt see that bit

enjoying the day

had a few games of call of duty on xbox

few beers

watched funny film

had a chinese takaway

snow watching

anticipation of the snow week ahead lifes good

s**t i'm back to work on mondaydry.gif

cheers gazzadrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

What a short sharp blast that was. I have not been out and measured it, but it must be on the conservative side, 1/2 inch from that shower, which adds a bit the amount lost today.

The temp has rapidly fallen from -0.1 in the shower to -4.5 (in 45 mins),which i have to say is very impressive considering the wind coming off the sea. We really are in -10 uppers now and i think there may be about 1" more snow here before morning....

Posted

enjoying the day

few beers

watched funny film

had a chinese takaway

snow watching

cheers gazzadrinks.gif

All sounds good apart from work.

I'm back on Monday too. Actually as it's now Sunday we are back to work tomorrow! :)

Anyway if next week comes off as planned I don't think i'll be working a full week up in Consett, and plenty of other people could be getting days off work and school.

Anyway i'm off to bed, hope we all get a few more showers overnight, then tomorrow, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday :)

Hi PP mate..as per snow,has been all the way here(you explained before why lol),hope i'm not too far inland to catch the showers,a NE/Easterly is best scenario for me

Edited by hannegan

Posted

Hi PP mate..as per snow, been all the way here(you explained before why lol),hope i'm not too far inland to catch the showers,a NE/Easterly is best scenario for me

They're rather small and dissipate rapidly when they come inland, but you might catch a rogue shower. One has given me a nice sprinkling regardless.

Should pep-up activity tommorow.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

Thanks man..I can't complain...it's been a genuine old fashioned snow day here,snow lying upon very un thawed snow...I hope the next few days add

I just opened me window and its beautiful outside. Clear sky and I can see the next distant snow-shower cloud near the coast; its fairly even and moderate in thickness so its fairly mild convection. The snow is also nice and powdery.

Posted

Another good layer of snow has fallen herre in North Kenton, during the last 3 hours,

Current temp now reading -2.22c

dew Point currently reading -4.58c

Pressure reading 1025.10hpa

Posted

enjoying the day

few beers

watched funny film

had a chinese takaway

snow watching

cheers gazzadrinks.gif

Wow sounds like ecstasy lol...apart from the work bit. Looks like you lot will get a right pasting during the week - good luck drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All extreme weather especially cold and snow!

Morning all,had a fresh dusting overnight here in Jarrow,but it is coming down quite heavily as i type.

Posted

Well a nce dusting this morning ontop of the melted stuff yesterday... a little less than i expected but still better than nothing atall... AS in terms of snowfall for today i dont expect more copious amounts of snow, but snow showers should still rattle down the coast from time to time.... now tonights snowfall is downgraded slightly now only giving 1-2 hours of snow and its quite a slender line,and slightly delayed but good news is plenty of snow showers are left behind in its wake (now its the NMM UK MODEL HIGH RES that has picked this system up, the standard gfs has not however).... :D but should give those nearer to thecoast some moderate snowfall, perhaps heavy at times... Then tomorrow seems the quietest day all week.... Tuesday sees the snow come in then pretty much linger around as more troughs or longer spells of snow come in... wednesday could see snow pretty much the whole day for some if the gfs is to be believed... Then thursday through the weekend tends to see things die away somewhat in terms of percipitation atleast, but thats not to say convection out in the north sea wont carry on these showers...

Thats the way things are looking this morning, Tuesday into wednesday is look like the best oppurunity for most.... but all will be revealed in time... :D

SNOW-MAN2006

Posted

Gettin :) A lovely thick 2-4cm covering here :girl_devil: AND still snowing! :whistling: