Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Ross B

Posted

Am I too far south for those showers tonight?

the whole flow seems to be drifting south & there is a metoffice warning out for ne england for the rest of night, so u never know, best chances of seeing something good for the cities up here looks like tu,we,th and beyond, the north sea gets progressivelly colder as the winter drags on so if the predictions for next week come true we should all be happy

cheers gazzadrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Am I too far south for those showers tonight?

No. They will just come later on. I would not expect anything before 8pm. Where the most intense showers will lie is a total luck of the draw....but thats what makes radar watching

Posted

this could well be true. i remember learning about microclimates and never really thought about how small a distancce and elevation can make to weather conditions.

temp still 1.1 here.

- o.3c here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

No. They will just come later on. I would not expect anything before 8pm. Where the most intense showers will lie is a total luck of the draw....but thats what makes radar watching

Oh phew lol gives time for the wet ground to freeze ready for the snow showers :) hopefully they will lie this time and give me a covering and ill come off now till 8 cya all for now smile.gif

Posted

- o.3c here

That makes things even more complicated. Its 0c here and I am only 7 miles from the coast at 250ft. i would have bet money that it was at least -1 up there. You must still have good cloud cover?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I was refusing to get my hopes up for tonight, but the southern extent of the showers is definitely increasing, if we get anything like what SE Scotland has had, even just for a few hours, 5cm or more could fall as the conditions are so much better than earlier on today. 3-6cm as the METO predicts could well be quite close to the mark for once.

Posted

Regarding Tuesday morning's potential, it seems like a trough will hit us but the uppers look similar to what they are today. The good news i suppose will be that the temps look alot colder and we also got the fact that the wind would probably not be as strong as it was today.

Just thought i'll say that just incase its end up as an another dissapointment like today's event was.

I assume Snowstorm1 and other Teesside members recieved a bit of snow today am i right in saying?? If so, we know how yous guys felt yesterday!

Posted

Light snow here now at 0c. I have a good feeling about tonight....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Regarding Tuesday morning's potential, it seems like a trough will hit us but the uppers look similar to what they are today. The good news i suppose will be that the temps look alot colder and we also got the fact that the wind would probably not be as strong as it was today.

Just thought i'll say that just incase its end up as an another dissapointment like today's event was.

I assume Snowstorm1 and other Teesside members recieved a bit of snow today am i right in saying?? If so, we know how yous guys felt yesterday!

Yes we did get snow but 15mins of rain destroyed the snow cover halfway through then when it started snowing again for an hour it didnt lay cray.gif

Posted

just a point of interest I started to subscribe to the 5min netweather radar yesterday and have been quite impressed its only about £4.00 a month worth getting if you're a radar watcher like me.good.gif

Posted

Light snow here now at 0c. I have a good feeling about tonight....

Wow all this cloud has appeared from nowhere! 15 mins ago the sky was clear! Just a few flakes in the air but I think it could snow properly soon. :rolleyes:

Posted

-1c now and dropping.

just a point of interest I started to subscribe to the 5min netweather radar yesterday and have been quite impressed its only about £4.00 a month worth getting if you're a radar watcher like me.good.gif

well done,most of us already have it,welcome aboard.

Posted

-1c now and dropping.

well done,most of us already have it,welcome aboard.

cheers, drinks.gif

Posted

That makes things even more complicated. Its 0c here and I am only 7 miles from the coast at 250ft. i would have bet money that it was at least -1 up there. You must still have good cloud cover?

I think your temperatures are a little bit lower than the surrounding area, perhaps you are in a little bit of a frost hollow?

Yes we did get snow but 15mins of rain destroyed the snow cover halfway through then when it started snowing again for an hour it didnt lay cray.gif

We're back up to 5cm after today's snow.

Posted

Wow all this cloud has appeared from nowhere! 15 mins ago the sky was clear! Just a few flakes in the air but I think it could snow properly soon. :drinks:

I would give it a couple of hours yet.

Posted

Just subscrbed to NW extra for a month see what i think... tomorrow evening looks like more organised band of showers may move through around 7pm giving most of us an hour or two of moderate snow...leaving quite a few showers behind in its wake :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

I think the first showers will reach us within an hour.

Already a couple of small light ones around, with the better looking ones not too far behind.

Just had a very light flurry here.

EDIT: That would be a bonus SM, I wasn't expecting much tomorrow.

Posted

Showers really starting to pack in around the Alnwick area....and they are developing further south all the time. :)

Posted

I meant until I got a proper light snowed to a couple of flakes in the air, and I did get that. I think between 19:00 and 19:30 the showers will set in, becoming quite frequent. An observation I've made is that the showers look like they are going to be quite short but intense, and fairly evenly spread across the region. Yesterday the main snow event came from larger areas of snow (probably troughs) bringing a couple of hours of heavy snow each, and they all took a similar track so if you missed the first one you missed the lot.

Posted

it looks like there are some showers heading our way, but they are no way the size or intensity of the ones further north. keep fingers crossed i suppose

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

The side roads are an absolute nightmare pure smooth ice cars skidding all over. The local weather station is reporting temps of 2.4°C and Dp's of -2.5°C, i have a reliable electronic thermometer and its reading 1.2°C (i live in a slight hollow and the weather station is elevated slightly and closer to the shoreline). Looking very promising for some snow showers in the next 30mins or so.

Posted

it looks like there are some showers heading our way, but they are no way the size or intensity of the ones further north. keep fingers crossed i suppose

But if you look at how quickly they are developing there is easily the potential for them to intensify, and for bigger showers to develop behind them. Has anyone noticed how long the showers keep going for in Scotland? If that happens here we could be getting snow showers well into the early hours :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Showers are indeed gathering out in the North Sea. I currently have a temp of 1.9C but the dewpoint has fallen well below freezing, and with a strong onshore wind, the temperature will be being raised by the sea, so it should fall abruptly during showers.

Posted

Decent radar for you guys in the NE, constant showers now coming into the NE though they aren't quite as potent as the ones a little to the north heading into eastern Scotland but as the colder air digs south a little further we should see the lapse rates increase and therefore some stronger showers seem more likely in the next 3-6hrs.