Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Ross B

Posted

A great winter's morning here today,only about a cm of fresh snow but with temps below freezing it is quite powdery.

what temps everyone got, -1.1 here atm

nearest station i can find is medomsley.

Air Temperature (1) -2.9 °C

Dew Point Temperature (1) -3.3 °C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Morning Ian, very slippy with the ice hiding under the fresh snowfall, cant see a thaw today (at the moment) especially as surface winds are coming off the land (westerly) and not off the relatively warm sea, probably will swing later but dont think it will alter the ppn as uppers are -10 and below.

It's hard to see much if any thaw happening over the next five days or so! Should mean that any snow that falls on top of the ice shouldn't turn to ice as well.

Posted

that massive shower i posted earlier has litterally fizzled to nothing in the past couple hours haha :)

TWS - whats it looking like for snow this week? Could you do a brief rundown for us?

Just spent 1 1/4 hours clearing the snow off the driveway at the front of my house.....5 inches of snow fell during the night.

Whilst clearing the snow into big heaps the outside temperature never got above -1 oC

I am just keeping the thick of the snow off the drive and path as we know what is coming from next Tuesday to Friday biggrin.gifdrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

that massive shower i posted earlier has litterally fizzled to nothing in the past couple hours haha :help:

TWS - whats it looking like for snow this week? Could you do a brief rundown for us?

Today- snow showers slowly fizzling out, sunny.

Tomorrow- a bit more marginal but looks set to be a degree or two down on the afternoon of New Year's Day, so some snow showers near the east coast on the northerly airstream, slightly more sticky/wet than the powdery stuff we've been seeing today. No thaw. Highs of 1 or 2C for most.

Tuesday- heavier snow showers moving down from the N, possibly more organised snow overnight. Again looks cold side of marginal, with the snow probably being wetter than today's stuff but still cold enough for it to add to existing snow cover instead of melting it and turning it to ice. Highs of 1 or 2C for most.

Wednesday/Thursday- NE winds with very cold upper air, more snow showers likely. Colder again, with temperatures nudging up to highs of 1 or 2C along the coast but below freezing all day inland.

Friday- probably fewer showers as pressure builds to the north.

Snow depths by the end of the week: widely between 10 and 20cm.

Posted

Today- snow showers slowly fizzling out, sunny.

Tomorrow- a bit more marginal but looks set to be a degree or two down on the afternoon of New Year's Day, so some snow showers near the east coast on the northerly airstream, slightly more sticky/wet than the powdery stuff we've been seeing today. No thaw. Highs of 1 or 2C for most.

Tuesday- heavier snow showers moving down from the N, possibly more organised snow overnight. Again looks cold side of marginal, with the snow probably being wetter than today's stuff but still cold enough for it to add to existing snow cover instead of melting it and turning it to ice. Highs of 1 or 2C for most.

Wednesday/Thursday- NE winds with very cold upper air, more snow showers likely. Colder again, with temperatures nudging up to highs of 1 or 2C along the coast but below freezing all day inland.

Friday- probably fewer showers as pressure builds to the north.

Snow depths by the end of the week: widely between 10 and 20cm.

thankyou. must say i prefer reading your posts to others as they seem to be a bit more honest and realistic. The model viewing thread seems to have a massive SE-bias and then there are the rampers predicting half a metre of snow for the north east :help:

Posted

Lovely Heavy Snow atm :help:

Trust it to snow properly when I'm back in Portsmouth!!

Take some photos!! Is it laying? If so how deep is it?

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Just been outside to clear the front path , OMG 4 to 5 inches snow has accumulated since Friday

What has mad things worse, is the thick ice which is underneath all this fresh snow

Alot more snow on the way for this week and a chance for Thunder snow on Thursday

off to work in the morning, Friday it took me an hour to get from North Kenton to

Windy Nook in Gateshead, i nearly abandoned my car half way up Sheriff Hill,

hope tomorrow morning isnt the same

Edited by stormchaser1

Posted

Currently -0.50c here in the North East with the Dew point currently reading -2.71c [this did drop to -4.58c at 02.37c

this morning, Temeperature dropped to -2.83c at 0241hrs

Posted

For those that missed the country tracks forecast for the week ahead,here is the you tube link.

Not bad! YouTube - BBC WEATHER - TOMASZ SCHAFERNAKER @ 11:46 - WEATHER FOR THE WEEK AHEAD

superb forecast by Thomas,he presented it brilliantly even the wife understood it lol,take me hat off to that man.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Very light snow for the last 15-20mins, still snowing. Temps have been hovering around 0°C with Dp's well below.

Posted

Very light snow for the last 15-20mins, still snowing. Temps have been hovering around 0°C with Dp's well below.

Some light snow here now as well,seems to be intensifying as it works inland judging by the radar which is the opposite of what it has done so far today.

Posted

Some icicles i saw yesterday , first i've saw in years:

Edited by snow_mad_09

Posted

thanks for the bbc forecast link. looking interesting week ahead.

temp been around 0oC all day today. no -0.8oC - had a v light snow shower also.

Posted

For anybody that doesn't know how to do a degree symbol...hold alt and key in 0186. Hey presto º! Currently -1.4ºC here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Max temp. -0.2ºC today, -1ºC now with some very light snow.

That BBC forecast looked very good, there's already about 5 inches on the grass where it didn't melt much yesterday, there could be some serious depths by the end of the week :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

Just back from Italy and the snow is fantastic!

In the untouched spots round our house there's about 17/18cms or 7 inches but it's clear there's less in other areas so the fact that everything has been undisturbed has really let the snow accumulate. 15cms on the roof of my car.

Double that by the end of the week?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Is it me or the showers dying out now? and I wont see any more snow till tuesday?

Posted

If these showers keep together they will hit us around 9pm tonight... :) this was predicted yesterday by the NMM (high res)hopefully they will survive on the NNE Winds

B)

But look at wed ...

post-4252-12625406042613_thumb.png :o

BUT Thurs AM....

post-4252-12625405958213_thumb.png :shok::80:;)

SM06

Edited by SNOW-MAN2006

Posted

If these showers keep together they will hit us around 9pm tonight... :) this was predicted yesterday by the NMM (high res)hopefully they will survive on the NNE Winds

B)

But look at wed ...

post-4252-12625406042613_thumb.png :o

BUT Thurs AM....

post-4252-12625405958213_thumb.png :rofl::80:;)

SM06

What is the NMM model saying about early tomorrow morning that you highlighted about yesterday? I still think any showers will just clip the far eastern coastline itself with most places staying dry and very cold.

Oh btw, whilst i was out and about, it was snowing/snizzling lightly about 20mins ago, gained intensity just a touch at the end of the shower. Nothing really to get excited about but i thought i report it nonetheless. :)

Edited by Geordiesnow