Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

they are moving in a south east direction, but having watched raintoday zoomed in, the ones which keep trying to make land fall around the newcastle area keep fizzling out.

edinburgh is getting a pasting though :lol:

True- I heard one of the motorways near Edinburgh is shut! I expect the zone of showers that aren't fizzling out to slowly weaken but transfer south overnight though, so some of us will still get some. Snow shower headed for Cleadon at the moment, temp oscillating a bit (went up from 0.6 to 1.8, now down to 1.0)

Posted

You know, this has been a great and memorable cold spell for me, but two things are still missing, 1) a very heavy snowfall, say depth of 20cm, and 2) an extreme cold night, say below -10.

Either or both would really finish the job off for me.

Posted

Its been dry all evening with the temperature hovering around -3c,but what the heck by the end of next week we will be up to our necks(proverbially speaking) in that lovely white stuff.

Posted

quote name='Thundery wintry showers' date='02 January 2010 - 22:13 ' timestamp='1262470433' post='1691830']

True- I heard one of the motorways near Edinburgh is shut! I expect the zone of showers that aren't fizzling out to slowly weaken but transfer south overnight though, so some of us will still get some. Snow shower headed for Cleadon at the moment, temp oscillating a bit (went up from 0.6 to 1.8, now down to 1.0)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Just had a 10 minute burst of heavy snow, given everything a fresh dusting.

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

hAIL SHOWER JUST GOING THROUGH

current temp -0.11c Dew point -2.17c

nigel

Posted

Well, i thought today would of seen a nice top up, but it has been quite a huge disappointment in all honesty.

What was a nice 6CM of snow lying here has turned into a thin layer of ice now, grass is doing slightly better but can see alot more green bits coming through now.

I suppose there's next week but i got to say my excitement has been knocked down a bit by today's events. Next week for Tuesday looks fairly similar today, a trough/front will hit us with cold-ish air over us. The centre of the low is just to the east of us but it could easily start developing another mild sector so could turn things sleety again. Although saying that, the GFS temps would suggest we are on the right side of marginal.

Wednesday looks like a decent day in terms of snow potential and so does Thursday which has been upgraded on today's runs.

Posted

hAIL SHOWER JUST GOING THROUGH

current temp -0.11c Dew point -2.17c

nigel

Must of been the 1 that went through here 15 mins ago

Posted

Chances are that many folks within 10-15 miles of the coast should see some thunder-snow

We might not have to wait that long,there's some jucy showers heading in now.:D

light hail shower here now

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted

Well, i thought today would of seen a nice top up, but it has been quite a huge disappointment in all honesty.

What was a nice 6CM of snow lying here has turned into a thin layer of ice now, grass is doing slightly better but can see alot more green bits coming through now.

I suppose there's next week but i got to say my excitement has been knocked down a bit by today's events. Next week for Tuesday looks fairly similar today, a trough/front will hit us with cold-ish air over us. The centre of the low is just to the east of us but it could easily start developing another mild sector so could turn things sleety again. Although saying that, the GFS temps would suggest we are on the right side of marginal.

Wednesday looks like a decent day in terms of snow potential and so does Thursday which has been upgraded on today's runs.

the front on tuesday is a cold front, where as the one today was an occluded front, wasn't it? I am a complete noob, but I thought this would make a difference?

Edited by izi

Posted

Well those roads and pavements that arent gritted are unbelieveable! Ice everywhere, so slippery it is unreal! i literally skid all the way round the walk with the dog... atleast one part of meto warning was right :D:D:D

TWS Direct hit for us here if those showers dont die away?

post-4252-12624738360813_thumb.png

SM06

Posted

Still snowing lightly here. It has added another 1cm to existing snow cover in about 45 mins (measured on a previously clear car roof).Hopefully the showers can continue throught the night, they are certainly beefing up out at sea and heading straight for us.

PS What is the difference between snowmen and snow-women ??

Snowballs lol

Cheers,

Karl

Posted

Light-ish snow shower in Spenny at the minute.

Had the dog out 10 minutes ago and it's baltic out there. Don't you just love the cold weather? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Well those roads and pavements that arent gritted are unbelieveable! Ice everywhere, so slippery it is unreal! i literally skid all the way round the walk with the dog... atleast one part of meto warning was right :):):)

TWS Direct hit for us here if those showers dont die away?

post-4252-12624738360813_thumb.png

SM06

Yes, indeed! I doubt we'll get more than a few centimetres out of this- it isn't quite as intense as what we had on Friday morning- but snow showers should keep firing in tonight and, judging by the GFS's outputs, most of tomorrow as well.

Posted

What do you reckon for Newton Aycliffe then? I don't know why but these sort of set ups always seem to favour Tyne+Wear rather than here and I often wake up disappointed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Nothing to report yet but clouds are increasing and there is currently a dusting of snow

Posted

Well im giving up the battle to stay awake, i am now going to retire and hopefully we will have a little bit of a top up by tomorrow, even 2 cm is a bonus tonight, try and cover that thick ice that is out there! ill be setting my alarm for 8am! And then need to pop along to the local nationalcar to see a man about hiring a snow plough for tuesday onwards :whistling:

Night all!

Posted

What do you reckon for Newton Aycliffe then? I don't know why but these sort of set ups always seem to favour Tyne+Wear rather than here and I often wake up disappointed.

I'm going to be brutally honest and say that you'll probably come away with less than Tyne & Wear- although having said that, you got a lot more than I did from the 27th-29th December 2005 setup which had winds from the same direction.

The problem is that some of these showers are tending to fizzle as they head inland which for once puts coastal locations at a slight advantage.

4th January does look quite marginal but crucially temperatures look likely to be a degree or two lower than they were late on New Year's Day (which had a similar setup) and this would support snow at temperatures between 0 and 1C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

I'm going to be brutally honest and say that you'll probably come away with less than Tyne & Wear- although having said that, you got a lot more than I did from the 27th-29th December 2005 setup which had winds from the same direction.

The problem is that some of these showers are tending to fizzle as they head inland which for once puts coastal locations at a slight advantage.

4th January does look quite marginal but crucially temperatures look likely to be a degree or two lower than they were late on New Year's Day (which had a similar setup) and this would support snow at temperatures between 0 and 1C.

How about thornaby for tonight and tommorrow?

Posted

Probably 2-5cm accumulating by midday tomorrow I reckon, maybe more if you end up trapped under a snow streamer.

The biggest snowfalls look like holding off until 5 January which is probably just as well for me as I have to travel down to Norwich that day. It means I'll miss the largest aggregate depths in Cleadon, but there's a chance that Norwich could end up with a similar amount, as the main focus of snow showers may transfer towards East Anglia- but in the North East there will have a deeper base of snow cover for the showers to add to.