Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Anyone notice those pretty potent snow showers heading south and west towards us behind this band of sleet and snow? Could be some pretty significant accumulations, maybe even isolated occurrences of thundersnow, during late evening and overnight.

They appear to be going too far north now that the wind is E rather than NE, but a few more showers are developing which may hit Tyne + Wear so it won't be set in stone for another couple of hours. Snow turning drier here now but it is easing off. 7cm left on the wall, but the road has turned slushy. Yesterday I was out on the skis, but that isn't possible today.

I'd be surprised if we don't get at least a few cm this evening.

Edited by alza

Posted

I must have missed last evening's lightning (or maybe it was just a lot more visible from Whitburn than Cleadon as it is further south & closer to where the lightning was) but I certainly saw lightning on New Year's Eve- from Cleadon I saw sheet lightning to the NW at around 9:30pm, and then the sky lit up again a couple of minutes later (this may have been the lightning to the SW you saw).

But this evening's setup is also a pretty good thundersnow setup- as is the setup projected for the 5th-7th January for that matter.

I won't be surprised to see a few snow flurries hanging around the east coast tomorrow, even though the GFS shows no precipitation- and then there's the showers heading down the North Sea on the 4th to watch for as well, which I think a few others have commented on.

Yes,it does look good for tonight with that very cold air spreading across from the east,once again a good thundersnow setup.

Wednesday is looking pretty severe if it goes to plan.

Posted

Just back from a cold wet walk.

After an overnight low of -2.6 by the time we headed out the door it was up to +2.1 and given what usually happens with a wind picking up off the sea and such high temps, plus reports of rain from others, I wasn't expecting the heavy snow which started falling within minutes and a freshening and gusty NE-E wind. It snowed hard the full hour we were out and made for unpleasant walking conditions!

Temp on returning is +1 so not much additional accumulation but nice to see!

Must be fantastic with a little bit of elevation.

Posted

A little bit of light snow falling and once again 5-10 miles north of me has been getting a hammering for an hour - they already have twice as much snow as me. It's not funny anymore. The radar shows a nice clear line of light snow or nothingness heading over me for the next hour or so, with a heavy clump moving west both to the north AND south of me. Fook it.

Edited by paul tall

Posted

A little bit of light snow falling and one again 5-10 miles north of me has been getting a hammering for an hour - they already have twice as much snow as me. It's not funny anymore. The radar show a nice clear line of light snow or nothingness heading over me for the next hour or so, with a heavy clump moving west both to the north AND south of me. Fook it.

Paul it's all landing here lol.

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Not sure how true this is but my Mrs is currently in Asda {shopping} and the supervisor has just said to a few people that the council have stopped gritting , due to running out of salt, Asda at the moment are havingn to get all their salt eetc from there stock room and salt the main road leading inther car park as cars are having trouble getting in , because of skidding all over the place, If its true how can the council run out of salt , they were for warned about this current freeze

Posted

Moderate horizontalal snow blowing in a gusty wind now. I do not believe that one flake has touched the floor yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

still just getting bursts of snow! A continuation of thaw... :aggressive: come on why cant the snow be more prolonged!?!?

I think we need to wait for this band to clear before we can expect accumulations- I'm sure those snow showers out in the North Sea will pack a real punch this late afternoon/evening.

Current conditions are similar to the aforementioned sleet/snow event of 4 February 2001 and thus I think if we got heavier bursts from this, it would drop the temperature to 1.0C and provide less sleety snow but still fail to settle on the ground- heavier bursts could even accelerate the thaw simply due to the greater weight of melting snowflakes falling on the snow cover.

It is starting to clear southwards looking at the radar.

Posted

I've been up to Bolam lake this morning ,it looked beautiful in the large falling flakes of snow -temperature was 0.5c,just arrived back home as it started to snow in earnest but we have had no accumulations as it is still thawing slightly,temperature here is currently 0.3c

Posted

Getting a bit of a battering at the minute. Heavy horizontal snow for the past 40 mins.

Still thawing at the same time though, heard what I thought was a rumble of thunder, only to realise it was snow coming off the roof and onto my car :aggressive:

Posted

Snowing heavy and setting, i'm doing a time-lapse video at the moment!! a pic every 5 seconds, been going for 30min.

Posted

I've been up to Bolam lake this morning ,it looked beautiful in the large falling flakes of snow -temperature was 0.5c,just arrived back home as it started to snow in earnest but we have had no accumulations as it is still thawing slightly,temperature here is currently 0.3c

Afternoon MiKe

Cross over the A1 and across my way, we got loads of snow , lol

Posted

whiteout here sirens going off all over the place,main drag into town is now blocked.

been looking at radar it looks fun!!

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

It started snowing in thornaby at 12:30 but started to lay at 1:15 and now a covering but it needs to compact and snow is still falling :excl: How long is this going to last? :excl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

This is definitely a Co Durham event. There was no heavy ppn here at all and it formed south of here. I am waiting now to see what the showers will bring later. Temp still 1c here so i don't think the cold air has dug it properly yet.

Posted

some places will get quite a bit of snow from this, however it has destroyed the snow cover in newcastle quite badly!

not sure the showers behind it are as strong as they were earlier.