Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

You do right Martin, we we're gonna go to the Scape house inn pub today but we forgot our wallets!

Posted

It's stopping now, but I think I can live with that !!! Outside it looks like someone has draped a giant white duvet over everything, all the old discoloured and dirty snow from previous attempts at clearing have all disappeared and been rendered pointless, the scruffed and footstep spoiled laying snow has been pristinely cleansed, it's now how it should be, a gently undulating blanket of undisturbed white - smashing !!!

(is it obvious I've had a few pints ???)

Very jealous of you mate tonight, enjoy it won't you. I hope to join you with the snowfest later on in the week.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

The temp is still going up here :lol: the snow is melting fast.

WARM SECTOR ALERT WARM SECTOR ALERT

serves you right for bragging about old snow cover earlier. :) :)

It shall now be removed.

Pray to the snow gods for forgiveness.

Posted

It's just the length of the cold/snowy spell so far.

We hadn't shifted the first falls from our road before this next lot came in to 'recharge' it!

If we have another 5 days of showers to come (and that nasty low running up through Germany and across the North sea to follow on) I daren't think in terms of possible depths but we will have snow on the ground for a month at least.

Maybe my lass will start to believe last years dumps now (she was off around the world whilst we all froze!!!).

Shovel at the ready .... I wish our freezer was full!!!

D-B, I'll just tell 'em I'm preparing the 'run' for the little 'uns!blum.gifbiggrin.gif

Hold on to your hat there, from next TUES to FRI (at the earliest) somewhere along the east (not just coast) has the potential for one of the best cold & snowy scenes not seen for many a year, GFS is playing catch up but each run is showing more and more snow, the early advisories from the Met Office for both Tues & Weds for somewhere to get up to 20cm of snow are looking good, i thought they was a little early in bringing these out, but after waiting for a few more runs from the various models it does seem they are going to be right about this, specifics won't be nailed down till late Mon possibly early Tues, but it is looking like a fantastic week in store if you like cold and snowy weather, the proposed synoptic set-up is fantastic i.m.h.o.

Posted

PRetty well i guess Grimsby, a nice top up in Huddersfield...1-2inch at a guess.

I was hoping you would say they got nowt, I will have to put up with them bragging when I next speak to them. I hate thatwallbash.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

You do right Martin, we we're gonna go to the Scape house inn pub today but we forgot our wallets!

Great pub, and just at the moment it's doing a special offer a free 8" of snow on every outside table !!!

Very jealous of you mate tonight, enjoy it won't you. I hope to join you with the snowfest later on in the week.

Yep, fingers crossed that by this time next week we're all cursing the horrendous snow !!!

Posted

Quality! I will walk up tomorrow and have some lunch with the missus, a nice treat for her!...and me!

Posted

How will the snow chances for us near the coast improve after tonights waste of time? I thought with the 528 dam clearly past us we would be fine. I don't really have a very technical grasp of what went wrong for us here and how tomorrow onwards should hopefully be better. Could someone please explain, hope this makes sense.

Posted

How will the snow chances for us near the coast improve after tonights waste of time? I thought with the 528 dam clearly past us we would be fine. I don't really have a very technical grasp of what went wrong for us here and how tomorrow onwards should hopefully be better. Could someone please explain, hope this makes sense.

We had a trough pushing down from the North which contained an embedded warm sector, the upper 850's and thickness (DAM) was not the problem, it was due to slightly higher dew points, with the wind coming off the N Sea the air become modified. Which made it marginal.

After Monday we are fine until at least Saturday, even then (saturday) is in FI so it could be upgrades then.

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

We had a trough pushing down from the North which contained an embedded warm sector, the upper 850's and thickness (DAM) was not the problem, it was due to slightly higher dew points, with the wind coming off the N Sea the air become modified. Which made it marginal.

After Monday we are fine until at least Saturday, even then (saturday) is in FI so it could be upgrades then.

Lewis

Thanks Lewis!! I see you are an FC fan, hope you have a better season when it starts in Feb. Thanks for giving us John Kear by the way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Quality! I will walk up tomorrow and have some lunch with the missus, a nice treat for her!...and me!

Only problem, it's not doing food at the moment, sorry ! Unless you want a snow starter and main course of course !!!

Posted

Thanks Lewis!! I see you are an FC fan, hope you have a better season when it starts in Feb. Thanks for giving us John Kear by the way.

No problem :yahoo:

And yep, Hull F.C all the way, supported them since i was about 8 years old.

I played rugby from the age of 7 until the age of 18 when i had to quit due to an injury to my right knee, also dislocated my shoulder a couple of times and had a fractured cheek bone, the yorkshire league was tough!! I played for East Hull..

I played for Yorkshire a few times, and also school boys for great Britain when i was 14-17.

Mike Burnett and Danny Houghton (for hull f.c) was my good friends, they both played with me @ East Hull. Also trained with brough a few time's, hes a right hot headed git.

We should never have let Kear go, the F.C board treated him like cr4p. Any how best of luck for this coming season too :( we play saints* on skysports first game of the season, at saint helens... will be a tough one. Although they are slow starters so the best time to play them tbh.

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Well the 18z GFS operational is quite a run - a little, very minor potential hiccup on tuesday with some annoying dewpoints progged above 0c for a time in coastal areas and a light westerly wind until later tuesday afternoon, but from there on in, it's a remarkable chart with lots of cold, unstable air. No problem with snow showers there, and some pretty beefy ones at that. From Late Wednesday into early evening Saturday we get strong to gale-force north-easterlies, peaking on Friday. I'm not generally one for hyperbole, but if the GFS 18z operational were to verify, then Friday could see whiteout conditions across the North York Moors, Yorkshire Wolds and Lincolnshire Wolds, with snow showers and blowing snow. We haven't seen that here in over 20 years. I've been in two genuine white-outs in my life, one in Slovakia, one on Glacier National Park, Montana, and they are genuinely frightening. Exceptional synoptics in one sense, but also concerning in another, were they to verify.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Light snow again for the last hour here, another cm or so added.

Posted

Light snow again for the last hour here, another cm or so added.

How much have you got now ???

Posted

How much have you got now ???

We have a good covering now

probably gone in the morning though

Came down well for an hour or so

Roads paths and gardens all white............

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well the 18z GFS operational is quite a run - a little, very minor potential hiccup on tuesday with some annoying dewpoints progged above 0c for a time in coastal areas and a light westerly wind until later tuesday afternoon, but from there on in, it's a remarkable chart with lots of cold, unstable air. No problem with snow showers there, and some pretty beefy ones at that. From Late Wednesday into early evening Saturday we get strong to gale-force north-easterlies, peaking on Friday. I'm not generally one for hyperbole, but if the GFS 18z operational were to verify, then Friday could see whiteout conditions across the North York Moors, Yorkshire Wolds and Lincolnshire Wolds, with snow showers and blowing snow. We haven't seen that here in over 20 years. I've been in two genuine white-outs in my life, one in Slovakia, one on Glacier National Park, Montana, and they are genuinely frightening. Exceptional synoptics in one sense, but also concerning in another, were they to verify.

I for one will be happy if they do verify and sure most of the board does; especially if I cannot get into work next week. :)

Posted

I for one will be happy if they do verify and sure most of the board does; especially if I cannot get into work next week. whistling.gif

It would be very unusual for the local schools to close because of snow. I guess this week will hopefully result in this.

How are the showers looking tonight, at the moment thet seem quite small for our area. Will they beef up like the ones further north? Raintoday isn't that clear.

Posted

It would be very unusual for the local schools to close because of snow. I guess this week will hopefully result in this.

cant see anyone reason why.

Posted

How are the showers looking tonight, at the moment thet seem quite small for our area. Will they beef up like the ones further north? Raintoday isn't that clear.

I have had a couple of light flurries, seems to be some little showers forming east of us, just follow the pattern from whats happen up north on the metoffice radar:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

go back from 5pm on it right until now, keep your eye on the showers over Newcastle and Scotland, see how they start forming further south each time? and intensify, looking like that's happening here now.

Lewis