Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

There should be at least a dusting of snow for most parts tonight as the weak occlusion moves south over Wales. The tricky bit is forecasting the exact position of the low pressure and how far west it will track before moving south into the channel. 50 miles variation each way of Dereks forecast could result in significant snowfall to the whole of south wales or it missing the country altogether. At this range of forecasting the UKMO fax chart will be the most accurate and provide the required detail. Interesting times!

hoping fifty miles to the west and I would be in some serious businessdrinks.gif

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

any snow to come for north Wales 2nite???

Does'nt look like it. Although bbc wales weather said a few minutes ago that we may get a shower or 2, but looking on the met it jst says " be aware" and not even " be prepared" there does not seem much for wales at all, mostly scotland then moving south over midlands.

Posted

hoping fifty miles to the west and I would be in some serious businessdrinks.gif

Fingers crossed for you SMS!

PS can you pop your location into your profile

Posted

Does'nt look like it. Although bbc wales weather said a few minutes ago that we may get a shower or 2, but looking on the met it jst says " be aware" and not even " be prepared" there does not seem much for wales at all, mostly scotland then moving south over midlands.

Its the stuff over northern ireland and the south western part of scotland that will move down the irish sea and pep up a little beore hitting Wales, so youre likely to get more in North Wales yes.

Posted

tonight looks good for north wales and then in the early hours a cm or two further south. Rain is getting much less likely except in far south west of wales. That would probably give the most dangerous conditions, Rain at minus 2 and below can really effect infrastructure, power lines ect. Then the low pressure over the midlands. Huge potential BUT remember this was nothing on yesterdays forecasts and could move east or west by the time it happens.

Its shown on NEA which is high res, its mentioned on tv which shows likelyhood but it can move east or west and become awesome event or a flurry for us in Cardiff and westwards. Even as it starts to occur things can change - not putting a downer on this as it looks positive but being realistic. Its our turn here in wales so hopefully it will happen and move westwards to effect more of us.

Edited by pyrotech

Posted

tonight looks good for north wales and then in the early hours a cm or two further south. Rain is getting much less likely except in far south west of wales. That would probably give the most dangerous conditions, Rain at minus 2 and below can really effect infrastructure, power lines ect. Then the low pressure over the midlands. Huge potential BUT remember this was nothing on yesterdays forecasts and could move east or west by the time it happens.

Can't wait for the snow now lol.

I do hope that snow on Wednesday moves West 50 miles and gives us in S. Wales a good pasting, we deserve it I think. But my head tells me it'll miss us to our east while the Midlands get a pasting. :doh:

Don't worry lol it won't, the East have had enough i think, it's our turn now.

Don't worry lol it won't, the East have had enough i think, it's our turn now.

I hope so but I think it'll be just too far East. If that happened S. Wales would be one of the very few places in Britain without lying snow. :doh: Even SW England and S. Coast would get a fair bit.

Hopefully luck will be with us this time and we'll get our turn.

Posted

I hope so but I think it'll be just too far East. If that happened S. Wales would be one of the very few places in Britain without lying snow. :wallbash: Even SW England and S. Coast would get a fair bit.

Hopefully luck will be with us this time and we'll get our turn.

Not stricktly true, most of carmarthesnhire/pembroke/Swansea/Northern Neath portalbot. Gwent valleys, Northern Rhonfa cynnon taf/torfaen etc already have snow cover, last time i checked they were very much in South Wales.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

PLEASE PLEASE, let it snow hard in MIlford Haven. Unfortunetly I expext we will miss the whole damn lot again. Although we did have 5 mins of snow pellets ealier.

woody

Not stricktly true, most of carmarthesnhire/pembroke/Swansea/Northern Neath portalbot. Gwent valleys, Northern Rhonfa cynnon taf/torfaen etc already have snow cover, last time i checked they were very much in South Wales.

My street then one of the few without lying snow... even worse.

Indeed Snow Cover has remained in Swansea, right down to Sea level, in shaded areas.

Ian Fergusson has posted the latest thoughts from the UKMO about the 2nd snow event.

Posted

Very true..

I'm really wishing for a top up now.. it looked so good previously so I don't want to be disspointed with some rubbish hit and miss showers

Posted

Very true..

I'm really wishing for a top up now.. it looked so good previously so I don't want to be disspointed with some rubbish hit and miss showers

Yes same here. I hope If I'm lukcy i can tap into that snow on wensday just clipping the edge of me a bit of a westward shift and we're laffing.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Bit stunned getting home today after being in the Midlands since Christmas! Pleasant surprise to find our village snow covered with 1-2 inches all over...thats great as it should be sticking around a while. The downside is the treacherous icy pavements and side roads. Was expecting a slight covering in the shade perhaps but not over an inch.

Also surprised how cold it was today here! This morning it reached -11.7c over the snowy lawn beating last years -10.7c. It has not been over -2c all day and was an amazing -7c when we arrived back at 6pm.

Thankfully the central heating is working- unlike when we came back this time last year!

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

Very true..

I think we'll do OK here during the next 12/15 hrs. This is a really unstable air flow. Look at the showers piling into NW England. That instabilitiy is heading south. Friday's intense snow was nearer to hit and miss showers than a frontal event. A few intense showers will do me!

As for the developing low for Tues night/Weds morning- that's anybody's guess. As I said last night- this is a developing situation! There will be further surprises.

Edited by benb

Posted

All of North Wales is now under an orange warning till tomorrow midday for snow!

Meto

Edited by andymusic

Posted

2v2abef.jpg

Snow depths for Tomorrow/Wednesday from BBC forecaster Ian Fergusson.

I'm just in the 15cm band as is much of the valleys and Abergavenny, Newport etc.

The thing i like about this is, the snow should stick around for a while too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Well acording to that anywhere within about 60 miles from the west coast doesnt stand a chance in hell of seeing anyting at all. Yet another non event for a lot of us,,,

woody

Posted

Well acording to that anywhere within about 60 miles from the west coast doesnt stand a chance in hell of seeing anyting at all. Yet another non event for a lot of us,,,

woody

SW wales have already had around 3 or 4 inches though havent they? according to BBC Wales.

Posted

woody

Don't bother looking at it, nobody knows exactly what will happen. Tonight and tomorrow I'm sure you will see some snow. Heck, the snow fields of Carms and Pembs are going to be topped up tomorrow so that chart isn't true.

Edited by shaunwales

Posted

well lets hope that we all get something