Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Wales got hardest hit in the UK last night, even northern coastal areas got a drubbing which is unusual.

Prestatyn went down to -4C, Rhyl went to -5C, Colwyn Bay dropped to -4C, and Llandudno dropped to -3C.

Even Anglesey dropped to -2C to -5C

Fair point but ide much rather freezing tempreature and some broken records for a sustained period of time to really get jan cet down etc than a breakdown event. THe deep cold is embedded now and things will only get colder in the near future, it allows ice to build on the lakes/rivers and streams and too me that is much more special.

Well it depends on your preferences I suppose... I much prefer a good dumping of snow than cold dry weather. I don't mind mild wet south westerlies anyway.

Talking about battlegrounds, GlacierPoint just posted this

Just worth a thought, all meaningful long range tools are suggesting the block ot shift its position northward towards Svalbard - Iceland - Greenland region allowing a negatively tilted long-wave trough (Atlantic airmasses) to attempt to work their way in but being deflected southwards from mid month onwards.

The GEM ensemble mean t240 is a good example:

http://raleighwx.eas...nomalyNH240.gif

That is a stonking mean height anomaly for that range with temperatures well below average over large parts of Europe including the UK. The snow threat is increasing from mid month onwards IMO.

The signs are definitely building for a good battleground set up.

Posted

Well it depends on your preferences I suppose... I much prefer a good dumping of snow than cold dry weather. I don't mind mild wet south westerlies anyway.

Haha, I hate the mild south westerlies, Keep the cold i say atleast with the cold you have the chance of snow from any direction and a sustained snow cover. Which is better than marginal events that eventually prove the mild air winning, but one things for sure its got to get warmer at some point.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Haha, I hate the mild south westerlies, Keep the cold i say atleast with the cold you have the chance of snow from any direction and a sustained snow cover. Which is better than marginal events that eventually prove the mild air winning, but one things for sure its got to get warmer at some point.

Mild south westerlies aren't great for me lol, i hate walking to school when its wet and windy and feels cold in winter, cold and dry is better, atleast then i can wrap up warm :oops:

Posted

Notice the beeb showing more rain on the map than snow tonight,which will be all of snow as far as I can see.

-6c upper air is the highest it gets,there is a slight West element of the warm irish sea so those areas it will be rain/sleet low ground.

http://91.121.93.17/wz/pics/Rmgfs182.gif

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_06_UTC/24_30.gif

Coldest night here since december 2005 at -7.4c!!!

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Risen to a balmy -2 here now :cray:

Posted

Notice the beeb showing more rain on the map than snow tonight,which will be all of snow as far as I can see.

-6c upper air is the highest it gets,there is a slight West element of the warm irish sea so those areas it will be rain/sleet low ground.

http://91.121.93.17/wz/pics/Rmgfs182.gif

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_06_UTC/24_30.gif

Coldest night here since december 2005 at -7.4c!!!

I agree batle grounds are good if your on high ground, its awsome having a day or 2 of winter wonderland then its all gone, doing a time lapse on that is fantastic

Posted

-3c here.

Nippy!

The latest fax chart is showing more of a feature moving down from the north tomorrow, with a cold front and an occluded front following on behind. I would suggest that this will mean more precipitation but whether this will be rain, sleet or snow I don't know.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?ech=24&carte=2000

Having said that there is a triple point and I believe I'm right in saying that anybody to the east of it is more likely to receive snow as the cold front has caught up with the warn front and is undercutting it. It's safe to say we wont know for sure until much nearer the time.

Thankfully the triple point is still forecast to be off the west coast, so that bodes well.

Keep watching them charts, the radar and raintoday. :cray:

I agree batle grounds are good if your on high ground, its awsome having a day or 2 of winter wonderland then its all gone, doing a time lapse on that is fantastic

Battle grounds can be great for low levels too if very cold air is well entrenched. :lol:

Posted

I just watch bbc weather and did not show anything for S Wales for tonight of tomor morn.

why are some saying lots of snow and others nothing?

i myself dont have a clue just like to read what you guys write lol.

Posted

STUNNING day. Just done 5 miles, the first day of a 16 week marathon training plan. Best weather to run in for months. Crisp, dry, interesting to look around at lying snow, ice and frost. Wonderful sun. Air cleanest I've ever tasted. Just wonderful.

Posted

Derek's forecast looked good for here :whistling: a few centimeters fresh snow tonight that's what he said.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

Derek's forecast looked good for here smile.gif a few centimeters fresh snow tonight that's what he said.

aww missed it

Posted

-6 here this morn 0 now. Very cold,my car was somthing to behold hadn't been out in it since before last dusting , it was awfull. What are the chances for any of the White stuff in Swansea tonight? Been looking around the different forcasts and they all say different. I am sticking by an old wives tale if the snow lies for more than 3 days then it takes another fall to shift it. Mind I worked alot with old farmers and they agreed with it :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Lol just seen BBC forecast, says rain in southwest england at -2C, how is that possible, cardiff also showed rain at -3C. LOL

-5c in audi this morning, the clio showed -7C. Ice inside the car!

My low this morning dipped to -7.1c

That'll do me...tease.gif

Bitterly cold!

Edited by Marcus_surfer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Ian Ferguson says they are most worried about rain freezing. I don't think it will fall as rain but if any does it will be absolute carnage.

Yeah, i would say rain would be worse than snow. If it's freezing rain , then this is deadly

Edited by Marcus_surfer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Yeah, i would say rain would be worse than snow. If it's freezing rain , then this is deadly

Lets just hope even more its snow not rain then, although if we do get any precip i doubt it will be rain, maybe at the coast? with with temps not much above freezing, if atall above freezing all day then hopfully it will be snow, although not guaranteed i guess.

Edited by Deepsnow

Posted

Ian Ferguson says they are most worried about rain freezing. I don't think it will fall as rain but if any does it will be absolute carnage.

yes but I.F was talking about devon and cornwall where this risk is increased and not south wales, that wrap round trough feeding the warmer air has been updated to a front, thus increasing the snow risk

id expect up to 2 cm of snow across a large portion of s wales tomorrow morning. tomorrow evening another front moves south across the country and i'd also expect this to follow a more southerly line than being forecast giving a further cm or 2 to areas east of say port-talbot/swansea.

As this front pulls away on wednesday morning there is a small chance (20% or so) of another period of snow pepping up across the far south east of wales and the south west midlands for a short time.

Posted

yes but I.F was talking about devon and cornwall where this risk is increased and not south wales, that wrap round trough feeding the warmer air has been updated to a front, thus increasing the snow risk

id expect up to 2 cm of snow across a large portion of s wales tomorrow morning. tomorrow evening another front moves south across the country and i'd also expect this to follow a more southerly line than being forecast giving a further cm or 2 to areas east of say port-talbot/swansea.

As this front pulls away on wednesday morning there is a small chance (20% or so) of another period of snow pepping up across the far south east of wales and the south west midlands for a short time.

So being in the south east of wales might actually pay of snow wise for once then even if its not much? lol biggrin.gif

Edited by Deepsnow

Posted

Most of the reports in Scotland from our front are of rain. Scotland! If we can't get snow from this set-up we may as well give up lol.

Upper air temps here are colder, the timming is during the night its much on the better side of marginal here.

Plus almost all reports from scotland that report rain are on the Coast.

Edited by adamjones416

Posted

Most of the reports in Scotland from our front are of rain. Scotland! If we can't get snow from this set-up we may as well give up lol.

Waw, not good for them, but it is sort of the warmest time of day and weather observation stations in Scotland are reporting snow, some rain yes but www.raintoday.co.uk should give you an idea of where that snow is, and I have to say a lot of it is snow.