Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

-6 here at the moment.

Ice on the inside of the windscreen, windows AND rear view mirror (I have a leak which Toyota are fixing when the parts arrive).

Took 20 minutes to sort out! Coldest I've known it here for some time. I suspect we'll go even lower this week!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Just found a digital thermometer im gunna order this weekend, so starting some point next week can actually get proper temp readings. This might seem like a stupid question, but is it best to keep the thermometer in the shade even if its got its own plastic cover?

Posted

Just found a digital thermometer im gunna order this weekend, so starting some point next week can actually get proper temp readings. This might seem like a stupid question, but is it best to keep the thermometer in the shade even if its got its own plastic cover?

In the shade temps seem a more realistic idea - you get more faithful air temps without the direct sunlight influencing the temp!

Posted

stil - 10 here i can't believe how cold it is ot this time of the day its definetly a record here for this time of the day, i doubt very much we'll get above zero today, School cancelled here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

In the shade temps seem a more realistic idea - you get more faithful air temps without the direct sunlight influencing the temp!

Ok thanks

Posted

Why are we pinned haha I find this amusing.

Posted

Lucky you to have school canceled, i have college in an hour lol.

Well sixth form lol so techincally mines college too.

Posted

Why did yours close?

Amodau Diogelwch - Eira ac Iâ ar y ffurf a thir yr ysgol

Safety conditions - Snow and Ice on the roadways and on the school yard.

Posted

GFS starting to show possible snowy breakdowns from the west/south west about mid month - but if the cold is too strong and right now it is - this could result in the biggest falls of snow we've seen in many a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GFS starting to show possible snowy breakdowns from the west/south west about mid month - but if the cold is too strong and right now it is - this could result in the biggest falls of snow we've seen in many a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The long range experts in the In Depth thread say there's a likelyhood of these battleground snow events going into Mid-Jan. A lot of snow could be dumped before the Atlantic finally wins out (which it always does of course). This cold though will take some shifting, I'm thinking it could well hang on until late Jan... a lot snow could fall by then for us. Hopefully all this cold dry stuff is laying the foundations for big snow events later on this month... my consolation.

A firing up jetstream + deep cold block = fun. Hopefully....

Tomorrows snow "event" looks very pathetic:

Rmgfs303.gif

A sugar dusting if you're lucky.

Better for N. Wales... maybe a good covering there.

Posted

I've a feeling it will be more than a dusting maybe 1-2cm that will do me fine jst top up the snow and fill any patches :lol:, and rember it will most propably pep up as it moves down over the irish sea. Also this cold spell does lok like its going to last quite a while, -11 here last night currently -4 (might go and sunbathe if it gets to 0 ) haha, Thing is about break down events, they are breakdowns and any significant snow although is nice you run the risk of allowing the mild back in, you can have 10 days of bitterly cold tempreatures to freeze a lake it only takes one mild day to melt it, remeber that.

Thing is about break down events, they are breakdowns and any significant snow although is nice you run the risk of allowing the mild back in, you can have 10 days of bitterly cold tempreatures to freeze a lake it only takes one mild day to melt it, remeber that.

Well I'll happily take the risk, had enough cold frosty weather already.

Posted

The latest fax chart is showing more of a feature moving down from the north tomorrow, with a cold front and an occluded front following on behind. I would suggest that this will mean more precipitation but whether this will be rain, sleet or snow I don't know.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?ech=24&carte=2000

Having said that there is a triple point and I believe I'm right in saying that anybody to the east of it is more likely to receive snow as the cold front has caught up with the warn front and is undercutting it. It's safe to say we wont know for sure until much nearer the time.

Posted

Woohoo, just ordered the new thermometer although i said it would be done on the weekend, so should be here this week :oops:, temp 3.4C, not sure what shade temp it is but i would think around 0C, ice still on everything in the shade. Still a chance of a dusting of snow in the morning then?

Posted

May take several attempts to break down this cold though so any snow hopefully may not vanish the next day.

Fair point but ide much rather freezing tempreature and some broken records for a sustained period of time to really get jan cet down etc than a breakdown event. THe deep cold is embedded now and things will only get colder in the near future, it allows ice to build on the lakes/rivers and streams and too me that is much more special.

The latest fax chart is showing more of a feature moving down from the north tomorrow, with a cold front and an occluded front following on behind. I would suggest that this will mean more precipitation but whether this will be rain, sleet or snow I don't know.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?ech=24&carte=2000

Having said that there is a triple point and I believe I'm right in saying that anybody to the east of it is more likely to receive snow as the cold front has caught up with the warn front and is undercutting it. It's safe to say we wont know for sure until much nearer the time.

Looks interesting. Yup that's right... if you get the occluded front it should be snow but if you get the warm front you may get rain/sleet, maybe a bit of snow later from cold front behind.