Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Waw, not good for them, but it is sort of the warmest time of day and weather observation stations in Scotland are reporting snow, some rain yes but www.raintoday.co.uk should give you an idea of where that snow is, and I have to say a lot of it is snow.

Yes the rain reports are from the coast, most about a mile inland or so its snow.

Posted

Most of the reports in Scotland from our front are of rain. Scotland! If we can't get snow from this set-up we may as well give up lol.

Looking at the radar there are some small showers in Wales now - all of snow unless right on the coast. Same with Scotland. Apart for the coast it is snowing. Also with night now setting in and temperatures dropping off fast not likely to be rain. Unless of course on the coast...

Posted

Well I'm happy no sixth form tomorrow, school is closed yet again, the snow really hasn't budged in the amman valley.

Posted

Im totally confused now.

So the snow even is only for tuesday and maybe wed, but after that its a classic adlantic situation with rain returning. I am getting so many mixed messages now.

I was under the impression this cold spell was a good week and beyond into early part of next week before adlantic wins.

Whats the pro's version of whats ahead. I know about fronts comming down from the north, what happens when they have passed. Does something move allowing a more westerly wind in.

Preassure looks to be high for at least 10 days ahead for here 1025+ through most of it

Edited by mrmonopoly

Posted

So being in the south east of wales might actually pay of snow wise for once then even if its not much? lol biggrin.gif

maybe. the wednesday morning feature i discussed can be clearly seen below, just clipping s eastern wales before slipping away

10010600_0412.gif

10010606_0412.gif

Edited by dingdong

Posted

Im totally confused now.

So the snow even is only for tuesday and maybe wed, but after that its a classic adlantic situation with rain returning. I am getting so many mixed messages now.

I was under the impression this cold spell was a good week and beyond into early part of next week before adlantic wins.

Whats the pro's version of whats ahead. I know about fronts comming down from the north, what happens when they have passed. Does something move allowing a more westerly wind in.

Yeah it is going to last into the weekend...?

Posted

Im totally confused now.

the general consensus from some LRF's is for a breakdown around 15th-18th jan but unlike recent the cold will never be too far away and colder conditions are likely to arrive again around 22nd-25th

Edited by dingdong

Posted

Yeah it is going to last into the weekend...?

Latest nae charts snow not rain reaches n wales after midnight(why snow because the warm front has slid away over south ireland) Front reaches swales around dawm 3 to 4cm n wales around 2 to 3cms swales.

Posted

10010606_0412.gif

Wow this looks tasty for S/SE Wales...

The NAE in general is a sizeable upgrade for Wales in terms of snow for sure.

10010612_0412.gif

15cm/6 inches of snow for SE Wales. Not getting my hopes up though that's for sure.

Thats actually 15mm which is 1.5cm lol

Posted

Thats actually 15mm which is 1.5cm lol

No it's not it doesn't work like that, so your telling me when we have 20cm of snow we have 200mm of precipitation?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

maybe. the wednesday morning feature i discussed can be clearly seen below, just clipping s eastern wales before slipping away

10010600_0412.gif

10010606_0412.gif

Hope this does happen then, looks interesting and maybe something to watch. Just watched sky news weather on sky news active, and the long range forecast shows snow for wales on friday, does it look like happening at the moment?

Posted

hope we do have that snow my husband is fed up of me peeping through the window and getting out of bed for a look, he said he would bury the laptop in the snow if i keep watching the weather then getting my hopes up for south wales, only to be let down making me grumpy! i have to peep outside in secret now and look at this site in work! please tell me we will have snow

Posted

hope we do have that snow my husband is fed up of me peeping through the window and getting out of bed for a look, he said he would bury the laptop in the snow if i keep watching the weather then getting my hopes up for south wales, only to be let down making me grumpy! i have to peep outside in secret now and look at this site in work! please tell me we will have snow

Same here in my house luckily he brought me an iPhone for Christmas so I can come on here when I pop to the kitchen etc. Just want a decent snow fall like the great snow of 82 :D I was only 7 then but I remember it soooo well. I lived in a small town in north Wales and I remember helicoptors bringing in supplies as we where totally cut off

Posted

No it's not it doesn't work like that, so your telling me when we have 20cm of snow we have 200mm of precipitation?

When all the snow melts how much water do you think is apparent on the snow left 200mm is not that far feached. It causes wide spreed flooding so yes it is possible.

1 drop im sure is does not equate to 1 snowflake, im sure its more than that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Wales: Blaenau Gwent Caerphilly Cardiff Monmouthshire Newport TorfaenHeavy SnowWed 6 JanThere is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of southern England and east Wales.

There is a potential for a period of heavy snow during Wednesday morning with locally large accumulations. The location of the heavy snow is uncertain and will be kept under review.

WEATHER WATCH

Edited by Wales123098

Posted

I hope that the area under review pushes west to cover most of wales hehe, would be great to have a channel low producing us with alot of snow after all this fuss about the east yet again. When im sure most of south west Wales has still got a blanket of snow, there is here.

When all the snow melts how much water do you think is apparent on the snow left 200mm is not that far feached. It causes wide spreed flooding so yes it is possible.

1 drop im sure is does not equate to 1 snowflake, im sure its more than that.

Haha no you're wrong with this one,

1mm is approx 1cm

And one raindrop doesnt consist of a mm haha just like one snow flake doesnt consist of a centimeter, All our rain comes from snow from about spetember till may in this country due to the cold air above.

Posted

Same here in my house luckily he brought me an iPhone for Christmas so I can come on here when I pop to the kitchen etc. Just want a decent snow fall like the great snow of 82 smile.gif I was only 7 then but I remember it soooo well. I lived in a small town in north Wales and I remember helicoptors bringing in supplies as we where totally cut off

rolleyes.gif thats what i want just a one off heavy snow storm for my kids to remember like i do about 82, my brother throwing me in 6ft drifts! fab!

Posted

rolleyes.gif thats what i want just a one off heavy snow storm for my kids to remember like i do about 82, my brother throwing me in 6ft drifts! fab!

That's it ! For my kids too , they don't believe that we had to climb out of windows because of the drifts!!! The most they have seen was last feb which was nice but as soon as the sun came out in the afternoon it was melting. Two or three days of bad snow would do me, I don't ask for much;)

Posted

Headline:

Sleet or snow at times on Tuesday.

This Evening and Tonight:

Becoming cloudy, with some outbreaks of mainly light sleet or snow developing across much of Wales by the end of the night. Perhaps also some heavier snow later in the north and west. Minimum temperature -5 °C.

Tuesday:

Mostly cloudy, with some occasional sleet or snow. Some of it could be heavy and any sleet will be confined to coastal areas. Maximum temperature 3 °C.

Seems a fair shout by the met office, most of us will wake up to a dusting/covering tomorrow if you havent already got one,I should clean my lying snow up nicely with a nice extra covering, and little melt tomorrow if it stayes largerly cloudy.

Also how often do you see, Sleet confined to the coast i.e snow every where else.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

GFS brings the front down and on this run yes it does look heavier:

http://www.wetterzen...cs/Rmgfs243.gif

The latest NAE shows Sleet and Snow for most of Wales:

http://expert.weathe...010512_0412.gif

The Sleet falling on the coasts of the W and SW, away from these coasts and snow will be the most likely outcome

This front pushing down from the north isnt going to bring allot of snow so dont expect that- however it could give a light covering in places.

Keep up to date with the latest advisories issued for Wales by the MetOffice: http://www.metoffice...ings.html?day=3

Watch out for the ice.