Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

bbclondon.jpg

aggressive.gifaggressive.gif

The bottom left frame which shows snow spreading East will move further East during Tuesday Evening. Wednesday snowfall in the SE is an event we must be ready for as well.

Guest FireStorm

KW or Nick Sussex if your about, id guess currently the channel low draws in the easterly and this helps push everything further west.

Wouldnt this also give the possibility of modification as the air crosses the north sea therefore enhancing a risk of heavy snow towards EA/SE?

Posted

More and more forecasts I look at now on weather websites show snow during Tues night into Wednesday

Posted

I give up. So many contradictory statements from the meteorologists.

They dont know is the simple answer.

This is going to be a nowcast event, simple as. Anything could happen.

Posted

Tonights ECM is quite simply amazing. Cold throughout with 850s reaching a high of -5C at +240 on the Kent coast.

Even if we do miss out tomorrow, still another 10 days of potenial fun and games biggrin.gif

Posted

More and more forecasts I look at now on weather websites show snow during Tues night into Wednesday

Yup, both BBC London (Graphics suggest) and BBC Look East say it will move back East! And possibly BBC South (Or whatever it's called! :angry:)

Posted

Yeah as I said before there is a far higher chance it gets shifted further east then west again...so well worth watching still IMO...

Anyway I'm really interested in what the UKMO/ECM set-up for friday-Saturday, they both would give a very showery flow I have no doubt, FAR more unstable then the GFs half baked attempt at a easterly.

London Tonight forecaster Kirsty I think that's her name also mentioned that the SE could have more snow from Friday

Edited by yamkin

Posted

London Tonight forecaster Kirsty I think her name was also mentioned that the SE could have more snow from Friday

Yep, ECM and I think UKMO suggest a Strong E'ly flow, which with LP nearby, creates a lot of convection on the North Sea, and strong winds would blow snow showers far inland

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

21ad6xk.jpg

Raaaaaaaaaaaain! :drinks:

how the metoffice currently see it -

Headline:

A severe frost overnight with snow for some.

This Evening and Tonight:

Continuing very cold with a severe frost but staying dry. Clear to start but the cloud will increase from the north during the night. Light winds. Minimum temperature -4 °C.

Tuesday:

Rather cloudy with snow showers or longer spells of snow at times in the far west and Kent, these giving accumulations over hills. Very cold with a severe night frost. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

Updated: 1840 on Mon 4 Jan 2010

Forecast for New Forest National Park for Tuesday

Cloudy with outbreaks of snow, or sleet low down, during the day. Accumulations possible on higher ground. Remaining very cold.

Updated: 1549 on Mon 4 Jan 2010

Forecast for South Downs National Park for Tuesday

Cloudy with outbreaks of snow, or sleet low down, during the day. Accumulations possible on higher ground. Remaining very cold.

Updated: 1549 on Mon 4 Jan 2010

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

Snow showers or longer spells of snow will give further accumulations, risk of a more significant disruption event on Friday. Continuing very cold with severe frosts and occasionally strong winds.

Posted

London Tonight forecaster Kirsty I think that's her name also mentioned that the SE could have more snow from Friday

Let's hope so. We appear to have been kicked in the balls regarding tommorrow/Weds snow event.

Hopefully it won't be another empty pot of gold, at the end of the rainbow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Julie on London news had snow symbols everyday, nothing like those 4 pictures Ocean Transit put up

Posted

Anyone that wants to know it was -9 in Henley on thames this morning at 8am and never got above -2 all day.

Currently -2 in Northwood north west London :drinks:

It's amazing how quickly you get used to the temps when there's no breeze isn't it? I walked home from the tube just now thinking oh it's not really that cold, only to then notice a fairly hard frost on the ground and come home to the good lady moaning that I'd left a full washing up bowl outside that is now a solid block of ice!

Posted

It does seem that the risk of heavy snowfall seems to have receded somewhat in the southeast. Take a look at the latest rainfall radar http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/. It doesn't seem to want to push the snow back much on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning either!:drinks:

Still, things can quite easily change. I certainly wouldn't get hopeful about the weekend, as near certain snowfall only has to shift ever so slightly and it's a non-event. I would instead concentrate on the short-term (i.e. tomorrow) as things can still change for the better.:)

Posted

Julie on London news had snow symbols everyday, nothing like those 4 pictures Ocean Transit put up

He probably gets Look East being in Chelmo mate?

Posted

Been below freezing here all day, I presume the -27C is an error NW Scotland

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Again, another forecast that is forecasting snow on Wednesday. Could it be our day for snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

good evening everyone i for one was really dissapointed at about 6 when i saw the bbc weather but even by 6.30 it had changed. normally i always find when the forecast is for really heavy snow for our region the next day/night, by the morning forecast it has already changed normally for the worst. so with a bit of luck it may change for the better(heres hoping). what im trying to say is let's not panick just yet. sorry to those who would like me too back this theory up with charts, truth is i can't im a newbie. The charts are changing so fast no one really knows whats going to happen what a roller coaster.

Posted

look east didn't have the temperature above freezing for the next 5 days. i'd say that is almost certain for the majority of us.

the snow will come, fret not.

Posted

Let's hope so. We appear to have been kicked in the balls regarding tommorrow/Weds snow event.

Hopefully it won't be another empty pot of gold, at the end of the rainbow.

The Tue/Wed event is still on. It's just that the Tuesday snow event will be delayed and WILL slowly move further East later in the night.

Wednesday is going to be very interesting in the SE with quite a lot of snow.

Friday is really a big snowfall event to look out for as well in the SE.

Here's the MetO update for days 3 to 5:

Snow showers or longer spells of snow will give further accumulations, risk of a more significant disruption event on Friday. Continuing very cold with severe frosts and occasionally strong winds.

Posted

Again, another forecast that is forecasting snow on Wednesday. Could it be our day for snow?

That's looking less and less likely according to the latest forecasts/outputs. Still time for that to change though.:lol:

Posted

The Tue/Wed event is still on. It's just that the Tuesday snow event will be delayed and WILL slowly move further East later in the night.

Wednesday is going to be very interesting in the SE with quite a lot of snow.

Friday is really a big snowfall event to look out for as well in the SE.

Here's the MetO update for days 3 to 5:

No alerts from NET WEATHER as yet...... Hmmmm interesting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

He probably gets Look East being in Chelmo mate?

Considering the areas arent that far away from each other, big difference in the predictions, lol

Guest FireStorm

to the more knowledgeable non-ramper posters..

with the current FAX charts - Channel low brings in more of an easterly flow over the coming days, this would be likely to push everything further west as GFS progged in the 12z - would this also not mean the easterly, draws back across the north sea enhancing the risk of modification so theres a likelyhood of heavy snow to affect EA/SE

Am I anywhere close or...?