Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Thats better laugh.gif

It`s a case of fingers crossed and hope!!! :pardon:

Good news guys-

Just ran through the NMM sequence and it's very good for Northants.

The band arrives here shortly after midnight of moderate to heavy intensity and lasts until around 5am before fading away. Then a front comes down from the north bringing another hour or two of snow between around 10am and midday.

Absolutely superb stuff. And the NMM is normally very reliable so I'll take it over the NAE. :cray:

:whistling:

Posted

Good news guys-

Just ran through the NMM sequence and it's very good for Northants.

The band arrives here shortly after midnight of moderate to heavy intensity and lasts until around 5am before fading away. Then a front comes down from the north bringing another hour or two of snow between around 10am and midday.

Absolutely superb stuff. And the NMM is normally very reliable so I'll take it over the NAE. biggrin.gif

Feb? cold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

I can't see where all this projected snow is going to come from for us here in North Warks - the front to the north of us seems to be staying put and the south-west stuff doesn't seem to be going north. There's a big band of nothing heading straight for us by the look of it. Hope it all beefs up soon - I want some good deep snow to play in by the morning.

Posted

I can't see where all this projected snow is going to come from for us here in North Warks - the front to the north of us seems to be staying put and the south-west stuff doesn't seem to be going north. There's a big band of nothing heading straight for us by the look of it. Hope it all beefs up soon - I want some good deep snow to play in by the morning.

Thats what i was thinking from looking at radar but its supposed to beef up a lot later and give us the business, still, i will believe it when i see it happening :rolleyes:

Edited by Frank

Posted

Afternoon Folks

Well after the initial excitment of something falling from the sky here in Nottingham it never intensified beyond a very light drizzle, its all a damp squib at the moment, and its warmed up enough for a thaw of anything lying to set in....

Cheers

FC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

This Is so frustrating! A slight little dusting ! And nothing getting near us! And up north it's dying out! Earlier it split and basi ally missed us! :-@

Posted

it seems to be getting a little dark here! i think i will have to look at the radar! hope temps dont rise too much as there is a skight thaw going on here also!

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

John Holmes update on this site

Update using 12z data

A preliminary look at the Euro UK charts and reanalysing it suggests that the low has stopped it coherent travel SSE. Part of it seems ‘stuck’ in the area of NW Midlands/NW England with another centre showing signs of forming over the SE Midlands/Home Counties area.......

So seems that Shrops, Staffs, and parts of the West mids (north of brum) are "stuck" inside the low!

How bloody frustrating!

It's like being in the eye of a hurricane.

I've decided to moth ball the sledge for the season and roll out the BBQ.

and as our cousins in the colonies would say... toss another prawn on the barbie!

Posted

This is why nowcasting is quite important in these situations. The forecast, even as this morning, was for snow in Derby and for that band to move south.

The first never materialised, and the second is hanging in the balance at the moment.

So, if it doesn't happen the way it was forecast just hours before the event, who knows what is going to happen later.

Snowing lightly here now with a slight thaw taking place. Hopefully, I'll get more heavy snowfall tonight!

Edit: Just been looking over some of my recording and man, did I capture some heavy snowfall! :) A good start to the year so far. But I really want to see some big thunderstorms this year!

You don't want much, do ya :)

Posted

Snowing steadily here now and settling where the frost hasn't melted. Hope hubby can get home from work near Didcot this evening....unsure.gif

Posted

Feb? cold.gif

If the NMM is right, Northants could have 14cm (over 5 inches) of snow by 7am tomorrow morning.

Now bear in mind it IS just a projection. But it's certainly brought a smile to my face.

The heaviest fall is likely just after midnight where we could see nearly 4cm accumulate in the space of an hour!

post-5649-12626986704152_thumb.png

Can I take the opportunity to recommend a subscription to NW Extra! Then you too can have access to the NMM, radar, etc. A terrific package for the winter and well worth the cash if you can afford it. :)

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

Maybe I'm worrying prematurely but I can see this being a non-event for Leicester again... the pptn is weak and weakening! Isn't heading south and still appears to be heading SW. Confused!

Posted

Hi Nabraxas.

A difficult one to predict.

Looking ok, but not brilliant. However, it is by no means doing what it was meant to do this morning, so who knows.

Looks like moving more southerly than earlier, so always a good sign (and intensity looks ok still).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Hmmmm been snowing lightly here for an hour or so even though the radar suggests there isnt much PPN around us. It is thawing on some surfaces but on the grass, garage roof and fence there is a few cm's now.

LOL.. how can more snow make the snow depth worse.

Snowing continiously for hours now not heavy but giving a very nice christmassy card picture look to everything, i'm sure countryside is even better. :wallbash:

No complaints from me at all as i wasnt expecting much snow and we aren't even in the main event yet for tonight ;)

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

West Midlands hasnt had any real snowfall for a while - wonder if we'll get alot later whistling.gif

Edited by mozza81

Posted

Well I finally got fed up, went out intending to go to the bank and ended up driving 40 miles looking for decent snow!!!!!!!

Decided to head up the A53 because the best reports were north of me. So got to Shawbury, if anything even less than here. Pavements started getting a bit whiter around Ternhill, about 1cm at Market Drayton. But the fun started THE MINUTE I GOT OUT OF SHROPSHIRE. Around 2-3cm lying around Loggerheads/Whitmore area, then started getting deeper in Newcastle. 5cm ish at Hanley, ended up going all the way to Leek where there was a good 9-10cm.

Missus thinks I'm mad, got to take her out for dinner to make up for disappearing like that.... oh well I just HAD to see some snow!!!!

They're predicting heavy anow in S England tonight, surely some must hit here?????????

Haha, well at least you saw some. I went out all over Powys on the weekend & Hereford and found less than here, as soon as i came off the motorway for home it was snowing! It started so well here this morning and then just died :clap: We seem to have missed all the decent snow so far this year, watching the radar is almost a joke seeing that big gap!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Hehe. After last year though, I am owed big time! :clap:

Edit: Snow has picked up a notch, currently now light-moderate. Don't think this will make much difference to the snow depth though, could possibly make it worse.

** STOP PRESS ** MAJOR UPDATE FROM THE PENKRIDGE SNOW CENTRE

** THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS ISSUED A SNOW FLAKE WARNING FOR THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES **

WEST STAFFORDSHIRE

WEST STAFFORDSHIRE

& WEST STAFFORDHSIRE

**Operation 'Snow-Flake-Watch' is now in full force for the PENKRIDGE area.....The count is on, and so far accumulations of 48 flakes of snow have been reported since 8am...This is a remarkable event of biblical proportions !!.....Residents are advised to take immediate cover from large, potentially damaging snow flakes**.....** stay tuned for further updates! **

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

Mostly covered here in Halesowen. A few inches, and the snow hasn't stopped since it started 4 hours ago. Although for the last 3 hours, it's hardly been anywhere near heavy. A very picturesque scene.

Posted

Just started to lightly snow in Stafford again. Looking at the radar it seems like some snow is developing out of nowhere on top of us...

Posted

Hmm, actually got a snow day today and tomorrow from a school which is notoriously stingy with its snow days. Oddly enough havent had all that much snow, but from the forecasts it looks like we could get a fair bit this evening and tonight, especially if it falls onto frozen surfaces.

West Midlands:

Herefordshire

Warwickshire

Worcestershire

Heavy Snow 1800 Tue 5 1100 Wed 6

Outbreaks of snow will turn heavy this evening and overnight giving fresh accumulations of 10-15 cm in places and perhaps locally in excess of 20 cm. This could cause widespread disruption to transport.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advise on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1150 Tue 5 Jan

Looking good for warwickshire, oxfordshire southwards looks like getting the worse though but oxfordshire borders warwickshire so not far to drive to the hills of burton dassett and edge hill in south warwickshire :D

That guy on here who lives in edge hill is going to have a blast :clap: