Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

golly gosh, just saw my 1st flake of snow in 4 hours :(

Posted

I find it pretty strange people reporting thawing snow when on weatheronline temps are 0C to -1C everywhere in the midlands even in a large city like birmingham, its 0C here(i'm on relatively low ground too) and snowing with no thaw at all, one guy on TWO says its raining at 700Ft above sea level in leicestershire, what a porky that is :D

I`m sure out in rural areas away from urban warmth the snow isn't melting at all.

The snow has definitely melted a bit here, but we only got a very light dusting anyway.

Posted

wot only 30cm??????? wallbash.gif LOL!!!!!! I'd be happy for 3cm!!!!! I dont even have 1cm!, not even HALF a cm.. nonono.gif

Im not bitter honost! laugh.gif

What a Joke. The most impressive snow fall for bl00dy years and Nottingham misses it.

Not impressed :D

Posted

Very Heavy Snowfall 2000 Tue 5 1100 Wed 6

There is a high risk of an extreme weather event affecting parts of Southern England this evening and overnight. A period of exceptionally heavy snowfall is expected with accumulations of 15-30 cm and perhaps in excess of 40 cm. This is expected to cause widespread disruption to the transport network and could lead to problems with power supplies.

The public are advised to take extreme care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1135 Tue 5 Jan

Posted

I am in Solihull at the moment and have already had 2 inches here.

The snow has not yet even reached Oxfordshire yet.

yea! same here! what is your temp and dew point?

Posted

Yep, just a dusting in Penkridge...I did post early on this morning my fears about this being a damp squib NW of Brum....Lets just see what happens with this circulating band to our NW, fingers crossed it'll pick up moisture from the Irish Sea, and dump a load of the white stuff on top of us.....Is it me though, or do some of the precip models prog tonights main event somewhat further north & west ?? :D

Well I finally got fed up, went out intending to go to the bank and ended up driving 40 miles looking for decent snow!!!!!!!

Decided to head up the A53 because the best reports were north of me. So got to Shawbury, if anything even less than here. Pavements started getting a bit whiter around Ternhill, about 1cm at Market Drayton. But the fun started THE MINUTE I GOT OUT OF SHROPSHIRE. Around 2-3cm lying around Loggerheads/Whitmore area, then started getting deeper in Newcastle. 5cm ish at Hanley, ended up going all the way to Leek where there was a good 9-10cm.

Missus thinks I'm mad, got to take her out for dinner to make up for disappearing like that.... oh well I just HAD to see some snow!!!!

They're predicting heavy anow in S England tonight, surely some must hit here?????????

Posted

They have just said again on local radio that Snow is definately on its way for Northampton, later this afternoon, this evening and probably through the night too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Well I finally got fed up, went out intending to go to the bank and ended up driving 40 miles looking for decent snow!!!!!!!

Decided to head up the A53 because the best reports were north of me. So got to Shawbury, if anything even less than here. Pavements started getting a bit whiter around Ternhill, about 1cm at Market Drayton. But the fun started THE MINUTE I GOT OUT OF SHROPSHIRE. Around 2-3cm lying around Loggerheads/Whitmore area, then started getting deeper in Newcastle. 5cm ish at Hanley, ended up going all the way to Leek where there was a good 9-10cm.

Missus thinks I'm mad, got to take her out for dinner to make up for disappearing like that.... oh well I just HAD to see some snow!!!!

They're predicting heavy anow in S England tonight, surely some must hit here?????????

Crikey... its the distances that make this all the more annoying, some of those places are no distance from here...

What happend this morning, seems like we had that front of snow cross Shrewsbury just where it was at its lightest/most fragemented?

The snow was strange anyway it was little balls of polystryne (sp) not real snow at all...

I have been pretty positive about the lack of snow we have had over the last few weeks, but todays done me over.. not happy!

Posted

As I'm quite new to all of this, a quick question is the band of snow over the NW at present going to head south or will it circulate and miss the midlands altogether?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

good god almighty! Its now RAINING HERE!!!.......................Actually its not, its actually snowing lightly...I just wanted to have a bit of a whinge! :cray:

Posted

:cray: Listening to the local radio station today just in case (Toddler SB1 is at nursery), and just heard that a school within 5 miles of here has closed.

Lets just say that my deepest snow is quite literally 2mm, but I still only have about a 75% coverage, with most being less than 1mm.

However, if that band t'up north does move down, it could get worse.

Posted

They have just said again on local radio that Snow is definately on its way for Northampton, later this afternoon, this evening and probably through the night too!

Which radio station frank?

BBC Northamptonshire or heart103.

if its the latter take it with a pinch of salt.laugh.gif

Posted

Which radio station frank?

BBC Northamptonshire or heart103.

if its the latter take it with a pinch of salt.laugh.gif

BBC Radio Northampton

I refuse to get remotely excited anyway until it actually happens, i know better these days!, too many let-downs in the past..

Edited by Frank

Posted

No, what's forming around the Northern side of the Low will weaken and then as it pulls SE there is intensification on the Northern side, but by then we are too far North.

la-la-la-la-la-la-la......Speak to the hand because the ears aint listening!...tell me I didnt hear that Ian?..... :bomb:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

John Holmes update on this site

Update using 12z data

A preliminary look at the Euro UK charts and reanalysing it suggests that the low has stopped it coherent travel SSE. Part of it seems ‘stuck’ in the area of NW Midlands/NW England with another centre showing signs of forming over the SE Midlands/Home Counties area.

The radar around 1240z showed two areas, one around the northern edge of the low-about the Humber across G Manchester into N Wales and down the Celtic Sea. With another one from just SE of Birmingham in a line out to the Scilly Isles. Both bands show moderate to heavy precip within them and a tendency for them both to formate around the northern centre.

Not forgetting the north with a band of showers running into NE England and another one over Scotland from the Moray Firth area SW into towards the SW and yet another affecting NW Northern Ireland.

So lots going on today and I’ll try and do a full update with some ideas on what the main precip bands seem likely to do after some lunch.

So seems that Shrops, Staffs, and parts of the West mids (north of brum) are "stuck" inside the low!

How bloody frustrating!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

How are things looking for Gloucestershire now? We are currently under the same area of snow and have been since about 1130...

Does anyone know where the main event is coming from? Is it from the northern side or is it moving up from the SW?

Edited by 03jtrickey

Posted

Good news guys-

Just ran through the NMM sequence and it's very good for Northants.

The band arrives here shortly after midnight of moderate to heavy intensity and lasts until around 5am before fading away. Then a front comes down from the north bringing another hour or two of snow between around 10am and midday.

Absolutely superb stuff. And the NMM is normally very reliable so I'll take it over the NAE. :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

We had about 2 inches in the end, very light snow now and snow thawing and falling off the trees. I can't see any more heading my way.

Eldest daughter's high school shut so hubby has gone to collect her but the younger three are at primary school which has remained stoically open sadly as it is a 15 minute drive and we would rather have collected them all at once!

Still if it's thawing, I doubt there will be much disruption later.

Posted

we only have dusting ??????????

Hmmmm...maybe to all you serious snow watchers 1 inch of snow is just a " dusting "!!...sorry thought you said earlier that it HADN'T snowed!!

I LOVE snow but to be honest dont want any more snow thanks...if I cant get to work I dont get paid!!!!