Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Just came back from a walk down the village to the newsagent, road was not possible to drive on, not only was it not treated there was 2 inches of snow on it. Lovely walk though, with snow just up to the side of my shoe..snow appeared at first to have stopped but it was very fine powdery crystals falling, picked up a bit more intensity as i got to the village, then it died down a little bit, by the time I got home it was back to the fine powdery stuff.

Took a measurement and I have recorded 2 inches of snow down on the road and 2 and a half inches in my garden. Still fine powdery stuff coming down..i just hope we get more intensity soonish...the streamers seem to have died off..and the intensity out in the sea is screwing us over again.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Forgive me, I've only just woke up, are we still on for more snow later? I'm hearing on the radio that the roads are treacherous, airport closed, and motorways closed?? Do I go to work or what, need coffee..............

I'm in two minds. I think I'll ring the office in a moment, to see what it's like. They closed it early on the 23rd Dec and it wasn't as bad then as it is now.

post-727-12626766884625_thumb.jpg

Nasty conditions. They are reporting that lorries are finding it very difficult to get up the Barton Bridge incline near the Trafford Centre.

Posted

It has stopped now but I am looking at the radar and snow is closing in from the northwest.

Karyo

I think there is going to be a lot more energy around a little later when we get sun up...plus if my eyes are not deceiving me..i can see 2 PL...one is tracking just s of sw outer hebrides and the other new development is just sw of faeroes following the same stream as the first one 0.o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

The two bands are now merging! :), The Day after tomorrow here we come! :D

Posted

Just driven from Worsley to Preston, 6"+ of snow at home nothing in Preston, though light snow now. M61 was ok, 1 lane most of the way, but clear after Botany Bay junction. Looking at the radar could be quite a bit more due though.

Edited by Alister

Posted

Just where is that other thick band of snow now over isle of man going to go? surely it has to follow the stream head towards liverpool where 99% of the snow went through before.

Another streamer more healthier looking is trying to form off northern ireland.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Just where is that other thick band of snow now over isle of man going to go? surely it has to follow the stream head towards liverpool where 99% of the snow went through before.

The northwest weather forcast said that the null was going to be replaced by the huge mass out in the irish sea, so i think some more snow is certainly on the cards, around 9 clock apparently :S

Posted

Wonderful conditions. For the first time in my 7 Manchester winters, I have 6 inches in Chorlton, Manchester. Stopped now.

Started yesterday: just after midnight:

post-2612-12626773897925_thumb.jpg

This morning:

post-2612-12626773897925_thumb.jpgpost-2612-12626774031525_thumb.jpgpost-2612-12626774146125_thumb.jpgpost-2612-12626774260125_thumb.jpgpost-2612-12626774368125_thumb.jpg

At last!

Andrew

Posted

The northwest weather forcast said that the null was going to be replaced by the huge mass out in the irish sea, so i think some more snow is certainly on the cards, around 9 clock apparently :S

I hope we get something before then...because if the band that was stalled is moving again...there could be a real chance of warmer air moving back and bingo within an hour or two everyone's snow completely gone...we need the precip at the moment to prevent it from warming up if the front as moved...we where relying on it being stalled to prevent the colder air going anywhere

Posted

look at the intensity of that streamer off northern ireland , if that thing comes off and we can get more convective snow from the irish sea as it warms up slightly we could be in for a pasting.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Amazing, woke up at 4am to find nothing

Woke up at 7am to find 4 inches! AMAZING STUFF!

Posted

The folks posting in Preston seem to have been very unlucky so far - I'm about 4 miles south of there and it's snowing steadily now. Adding to 2-3cm of very wet lying snow. Feeling raw outside even in the calm conditions. The lying ice will be a nightmare when it freezes tonight! Still plenty of activity out in the Irish Sea - more to come I think!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

look at the intensity of that streamer off northern island , if that thing comes off and we can get more convective snow from the irish sea as it warms up slightly we could be in for a pasting.

Winds are more Northerly now remember - If they didn't switch we would have had nothing but sleet all night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

You've been saying that since yesterday hotcuppa, please carry on, by the end of the day we should be buried in it... tease.gif

(the warm sector thingy)

Edited by La Bise

Posted

Never seen this much snow in my life! Cars can't move at all, I can't make it to work, motorways shut, 8 inches of snow at least and still falling heavy! Awesome!

Hi Glen - is it really that bad trying to get into Manchester? Are the roads gridlocked? Anyone else know anything, say area's around Mancunnian way etc...??

Posted

Anyone from Bolton in here?

What the situation like in my owd town???

I'm from Worsley, about 6miles south of Bolton, we have over 6" so with the extra elevation in Bolton I would imagine they have more, that said I've just driven to Preston & there's nothing!!!

Posted

You've been saying that since yesterday hotcuppa, please carry on, by the end of the day we should be buried in it... tease.gif

(the warm sector thingy)

Actually right now we are too cold for any warming up, its when the sun arrives ..remember the cold is moving south..how long will we last in this artic air exactly? That front stall last night, and just ahead of it the air undercut bringing those lower temps eveywhere.

Backtrack we wouldn't have got sleet, what happened was pretty simple, the air uncut the front, the front stalled for quite some time, we then got fed from some pretty hefty snow (didnt stop snowing here for about 2hours) and we still have powdery crystals...its all looking pretty healthy now with that band of snow that was set up as a streamer from cumbria to l/pool..its decided to move in land.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Hi Glen - is it really that bad trying to get into Manchester? Are the roads gridlocked? Anyone else know anything, say area's around Mancunnian way etc...??

M61 was 1 lane all the way from Chorley to M60, there are a few accidents on the M60 @ Barton. The A6 from M61 to Walkden was completely covered. I imagine all efforts have gone into keeping East Lancs clear

Posted

Saw on Sky News, the A56, Princess Way, one of the big roads into Manchester was covered in snow.