Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Morning all. Woke up to find some 10cm topping up of what Snowfall we already had here on the Snowfields of Derbyshire.

Looks like the LP is beginning its wrap-around as HotCuppa mentioned, the RADAR suggests this is the case which means more snow banding to come aswell as further activity for the NW for the coming hours into the Afternoon. Stockport College is shut im informed aswell as many of the schools locally here in the Peak District.

Definite banding all around it now..which would suggest as it moves south it should pull more of that snow from manchester way and further afield with it towards us as it sinks futher south. Looking very promising for the south of the region so far.

The other interesting thing for me is that streamer from the north sea its huge I can see that potentially linking up with band of snow to my north on its current track.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

The snow has just stopped falling here. The 9am radar shows an area of intense snow just northwest of Manchester. I hope it gets here.

Karyo

Posted

Didn't start snowing till around 7Am here in Norbreck, then it battered it down, still coming down heavy at the moment, about 3-4 inch of lying snow at the moment. Had to take the wife to work as she hasn't driven in snow before, and, Blackpool council, no gritting of roads or pavements. Unbelievable

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Getting really inpatient, the snow might start to melt soon if it doesn't start snowing soon. It really needs to hurry up. Knowing my luck it will rain.

Posted

Didn't start snowing till around 7Am here in Norbreck, then it battered it down, still coming down heavy at the moment, about 3-4 inch of lying snow at the moment. Had to take the wife to work as she hasn't driven in snow before, and, Blackpool council, no gritting of roads or pavements. Unbelievable

I wouldnt be surprised if you got quite a bit more as that lp system drags that snow from the pennine , manchester areas, possibility of back end snow for the coasts too...I think i'll hold off for now..its looking very good though..we shouldnt loose the moisture and imo that streamer around newcastle is on a direct collision course with us...and its got a hell of a lot of energy in it.

Posted

The village primary school here is open - all the kids walk to school anyway. But classes seem to have been cancelled and all the kids are out on the cricket field with the teachers making huge snowmen and just running about and diving into the deep soft snow!! Wonderful to see the snow being enjoyed.

...and it is still coming down, moderate snow, over 20cm, completely level cover as there is no wind.

Posted

Couldn't make it into work today. I live in Birkenhead and i work in Birchwood but my train was delayed at Liverpool Lime street. My colleagues who mainly live in Manchester who travel by car cannot do so either. We rang the boss and i now have the day off.

wooooooo hooooo!!!!

Will the wirral get any more snow today as its really slushy at the moment.:lol:

Posted

Liverpool Airport Metar Snow

EGGP 050634Z 0506/0606 25005KT 9999 SCT020 TEMPO 0506/0512 5000 -SHRASN BKN010 PROB40 TEMPO 0506/0512 0500 SN OVC003 BECMG 0508/0511 02010KT TEMPO 0512/0521 5000 -SHSN BKN010

Posted

Well I tried to get into work today, but couldnt as the buses have been cancelled

never seen so much snow in my life, must be 10+ inches at least.

are we due anymore today, its still snowing lightly here (wythenshawe)

Posted

I wouldnt be surprised if you got quite a bit more as that lp system drags that snow from the pennine , manchester areas, possibility of back end snow for the coasts too...I think i'll hold off for now..its looking very good though..we shouldnt loose the moisture and imo that streamer around newcastle is on a direct collision course with us...and its got a hell of a lot of energy in it.

Thanks for that, still no sign of snow stopping, slightly worried about the temp though, has risen from -1.5 to -0.2 in the past hour, with not understanding charts, dp's etc, im thinking it may well turn to rain soon, hope not!!

Posted

Well I tried to get into work today, but couldnt as the buses have been cancelled

never seen so much snow in my life, must be 10+ inches at least.

are we due anymore today, its still snowing lightly here (wythenshawe)

It's great to have the day off due to snow, isn't it?

We should see some more from the north, later this morning. Then it should dry up this afternoon and start to freeze.

The breeze will start coming from the north/northeast so no Irish sea modification.

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

well only a slight dusting here, when the conditions are right the ppn always misses us!!!

temp -2.0c and falling, DP -4c

Edited by james12

Posted

Livwepool Airport

Temporary

from 05 at 06 UTC to 05 at 12 UTC

Visibility 1640 ft

Overcast at a height of 300 ft

snow

Becoming

from 05 at 08 UTC to 05 at 11 UTC

Wind 12 mph from north/northeast

Temporary

from 05 at 12 UTC to 05 at 21 UTC

Visibility 16404 ft

Broken clouds at a height of 1000 ft

light snow showers

Manchester Airport

Becoming

from 05 at 06 UTC to 05 at 08 UTC

Visibility 13123 ft

Broken clouds at a height of 800 ft

light snow

Temporary

from 05 at 08 UTC to 05 at 16 UTC

Visibility 1968 ft

Broken clouds at a height of 100 ft

snow

Becoming

from 05 at 16 UTC to 05 at 19 UTC

Wind 12 mph from north

Visibility greater than 6.2 miles

Scattered clouds at a height of 2000 ft

Pretty much both airports going for snow and snow showers well into this evening.

Posted

a new member here just off the M61 in westhoughton. no let up in precipitation and total now stands at an impressive 8", temp -1 at the moment

had tried to head south for work earlier this morning but M61, M60, M62, M6 all fairly poorly gritted - in 3 hours i only saw one actual gritter gritting the rest ploughing. the back roads around leigh, atherton and hindley were horrific and i do not believe they had seen any salt or grit last night.

haven't seen winter hill since yesterday, hope its still there......

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Temp been constant here for the last 7 hours, currently 1.4c and snowing heavily.

Looking at the rain today radar, I am in the middle of Manchester and Southport, so looks like at least a good few hours of snow remaining.

Posted

It's great to have the day off due to snow, isn't it?

We should see some more from the north, later this morning. Then it should dry up this afternoon and start to freeze.

The breeze will start coming from the north/northeast so no Irish sea modification.

Karyo

yeah it is.

problem is, its the semi final tomorrow (city vs united) and i really wouldnt be surprised if that games called off.

im LOVING this winter so far

Posted

Temp been constant here for the last 7 hours, currently 1.4c and snowing heavily.

Looking at the rain today radar, I am in the middle of Manchester and Southport, so looks like at least a good few hours of snow remaining.

The low will hopefully pull that snow from manchester and the pennine area further west and south sometime today..as both airports suggest further periods of snow are likely through much of today at any rate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

snowing again in mossley hill liverpool

Nothing on the radar for Liverpool atm, it's all about 30 miles North of us.

Posted

showers dont seem to know witch way there moving at the mo.....maybe they'll get stuck here

also bbc said showers in east being blown in on strong winds....does that give them more chance of getting accross penines

Edited by chris78

Posted

Nothing on the radar for Liverpool atm, it's all about 30 miles North of us.

Remember localized falls wont always show up the radar, i hve witnessed the exact same thing in the past.

That newly formed LP is playing havoc with it...its also slightly possible that the snowband could reintensify at some point. There is a roughly a line now stretching from about north liverpool -> Hull.

Edited by HotCuppa