Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

The calm before the storm HotCuppa.

That band is going to give us an absolute PASTING!

School should be closed tomorrow too.

That snowband is tracking south extremely slowly and I wouldnt be surprised to see it stall..its been stalled where it is now for a good 5 or 6 hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

The start of the band is here HotCuppa.

Small flakes but millions of them, it's here...

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

I expect the Manchester derby will be called off aswell wallbash.gif

wouldnt surprise me if it is, i remember the roads were lethal on boxing day and i nearly got the car stuck in miles platting (not the nicest of places to get stuck!)

they will call it off for heath and safety issues as the roads/transport will be a nightmare if this snow continues

Posted

Karyo,

I can confirm that the uniform dark white to your North is heavy snow. Been continuous for the last hour. Stupid amount of snow now!!

Thanks Maz! It just dosn't seem to want to move over me though. It's been almost stationary for ages!

Glad you are getting it heavy though!

Karyo

Posted

will this snow reach wythenshawe/manc airport then?

It seems to be slowly sinking South, I'm about 15miles north of central Manchester, so would think it will hit you soon unless it losses intensity once it leaves the hills.

Posted

The Derby will depend on a decision by GMP and Manchester City Council. If the Stadium Safety Manager has any concern for the welfare of fans both inside and outside the ground, the game will be called off.

Its more than just a fan safety concern but also staff liasoning, and ensuring in the event the bad weather does continue there wont be 70k fans stuck in Central Manchester unable to get home.

With more bad weather to come this afternoon I have my doubts this game will be going ahead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I foresee the Wirral desert effect coming into effect if that band literally halts, it will lose energy perhaps, over land if it sticks where it is.

Posted

give it a little while and it will get heavy..much like it is to the north, its hammering it down here now with small flakes but mixed in are bigger flakes too...should be a good long snow even for us if that band is anything to go by :pardon:

Posted

It seems to be slowly sinking South, I'm about 15miles north of central Manchester, so would think it will hit you soon unless it losses intensity once it leaves the hills.

cheers, time to brew up and window watch soon then :pardon:

Posted

Just had old failthful out and did a staff pickup run into town for my wife's work who are on a stocktaking day, cars crawling around at 15mph scared stiff !

nice sunshine now !

where do Landys go when they get old ?

:pardon:

Posted

I foresee the Wirral desert effect coming into effect if that band literally halts, it will lose energy perhaps, over land if it sticks where it is.

That snowband as been stuck there since about 4/5am lol completely stalled and it keep pepping itself up over time..the cloud as elongated rather sink south to include our region..not sure it will reach where you are..but it might.

Posted

Should be with me in 10 minutes drinks.gif

Posted

HotCuppa: If you add the wind vector overlay to the NWx radar you can see that the lower (850hpa-1000hpa) vectors are pushing from roughly the NNE. The higher vectors (500hpa-300hpa) still have a Wrly component. So assuming these modelled vectors are reasonably accurate it would seem that this is a classic cold air undercutting the warmer air mass and hence why the precipitation keeps pepping up on this band. For once the warmer air to our west, aided by the moisture and instability from the Irish Sea, is working in our favour! :)

Posted

That's certainly a possibility! Visibility has greatly increased now and there is some brightness around so I can'tsee any heavy snow coming for now!

Karyo

Posted

That snowband is tracking south extremely slowly and I wouldnt be surprised to see it stall..its been stalled where it is now for a good 5 or 6 hours.

If it could stall right over my head that would be great :)

Posted

How long is everyone in North/Central Lancs expecting this band to be stalling or moving extremely slowly south for? Been snowing here since 6am for the best part.

Posted

HotCuppa: If you add the wind vector overlay to the NWx radar you can see that the lower (850hpa-1000hpa) vectors are pushing from roughly the NNE. The higher vectors (500hpa-300hpa) still have a Wrly component. So assuming these modelled vectors are reasonably accurate it would seem that this is a classic cold air undercutting the warmer air mass and hence why the precipitation keeps pepping up on this band. For once the warmer air to our west, aided by the moisture and instability from the Irish Sea, is working in our favour! :)

Just had a look now, it certainly looks that way :)

I just noticed something I actually thought we where under that band of snow, we aren't just yet, id imagine we are about 15/20 mins from us being under it...we are having some sort of convective snow shower at the moment...still light snow

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Is there such thing as light snow that is moderate? I can't describe it here, billions of flakes getting bigger now but i wouldnt call it heavy, nor light... Hmm. Anyway it should stick :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Great to see reports of deep snowfall across the Northwest. Just goes to show, when the synoptics are right, even the NW of Engand can produce copious amounts of snowfall in a winter season. My friends in East Cheshire area inform me level snowfall of 8 Inches of more, even below 75m asl.

C

Posted

Morning all! Awoke this morning to an increased cover (3-5cm). :D

I'm in Wallasey right now and there's less cover here, but it's snowing again - light grains rather than large flakes, but snow nonetheless - and that can only be a good thing given how much I'm expecting it to turn to rain. The afternoon will undoubtedly be key.

Finally, guess what the council didn't do last night? The roads were absolute chaos getting into town. blink.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

The wind speed on the net-w station data is 1mph in south Cumbria and 0 mph over N Cheshire, hence the slowness of the snow. Mind you, the slower, the more people will get as it gets there.

Posted

Well after studying the radar, that precip just doesn't want to come down, and any that does try just dissipates so I shall get my head into some work (I work from home) and resign myself to the fact that it just might not happen.

I am so very thrilled to read that the NW have had a great snow event. Look after the older ones around you though won't you.

Louise

Posted

The wind speed on the net-w station data is 1mph in south Cumbria and 0 mph over N Cheshire, hence the slowness of the snow. Mind you, the slower, the more people will get as it gets there.

Can anyone post a screenshot of the currents band location please?