Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

That band of snow that stalled late last night /early this morning, as again stalled lol

Was you awake when it was snowing this morning?

If so, how long did it last, how big were the flakes and how heavy was it? :)

Posted

The low will hopefully pull that snow from manchester and the pennine area further west and south sometime today..as both airports suggest further periods of snow are likely through much of today at any rate

Well we finally got some snow in South Liverpool! There is about an inch here but it's melting already. It looks very misty across the river - don't know if Ellesmere is getting more snowfall/rain.

The main roads towards the airport have always been gritted recently but not last night so staff are having trouble getting into work.... sadly, not me.... better get some work done now!

Wonder if it will snow again before I leave at 1 pm..... :)

Posted

yeah it is.

problem is, its the semi final tomorrow (city vs united) and i really wouldnt be surprised if that games called off.

im LOVING this winter so far

Just been thinking the same myself, what with 70,000 fans travelling from all parts (including the south lol), If Manchester Airport is disrupted due to this Snow with the clearing equipment they have, im sure COMs must be having serious concerns about tomorrows game.

Posted

Just been thinking the same myself, what with 70,000 fans travelling from all parts (including the south lol), If Manchester Airport is disrupted due to this Snow with the clearing equipment they have, im sure COMs must be having serious concerns about tomorrows game.

typical really. I wait 25 years for a semi final, city finally get to one, and it'd get called off :girl_devil:

Posted

It is starting to snow here once again. It seems the band from the north ic closing in!

Just watched the latest bbc24 forecasts. We will have an easterly wind for the latter part of the week with snow showers mainly for the east but some will cross the region. Peter Gibbs said that Scotland under high pressure/clear skies will severe severe minimums of -20c!!!

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Just been out to measure, my god I was wading in it! the deepest snow I have ever seen, an average level depth of 35cm! Fantastic :girl_devil:

Posted

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking, more snow incomming. :girl_devil:

Anyway that band is starting to shift south now, hopefully will give us a top up before it starts melting. 4 inches here.

Posted

I have just arrived in Bury with a slight detour to Asda in Rawtenstall. It is amazing and horrendos all at the same time. Snow is still falling in Bury, great big flakes and about 5 inches of settled snow on the car park... using the builders digger to clear spaces , but if it carries on like this, they will have to dig then out as well. Looking at the radar there is still loads more heading down from the north.

Just deciding what time to go home again as I think it will be even thicker in Bacup.

Fun times!!

Shadowfax

Posted

Been snowing here non-stop from 6am when I got a text off college saying it was closed. Really heavy and moderate. This is awesome and more coming on its way? Hope more streamers develop in the Irish sea.

This is an event to remember for the NW. :drunk:

Posted

Well well, just took me 2 hrs to go from Ashton to stockport and back again. Even Class 2 trucks are getting stuck and they have the weight on the back wheels to make it through most things. Galaxy had some report from a council worker saying that manchester only has 80 ton of grit left...if thats true then were doomed

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

The low will hopefully pull that snow from manchester and the pennine area further west and south sometime today..as both airports suggest further periods of snow are likely through much of today at any rate

Yes spot on I think. I'm a little worried about my temps though - they have risen to 1.7c but the wind is now a NNNE, so colder air should be upon me soon to replace what is currently here from the Irish sea.

Edited by chrisbooth0070

Posted

Yes spot on I think. I'm a little worried about my temps though - they have risen to 1.7c but the wind is now a NNNE, so colder air should be upon me soon to replace what is currently here from the Irish sea.

1.7c?!

0.2c here and im closer to the coast!

Sky looks VERY dark to my north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

still steadily falling here - nothing dramatic - just light and steady - surely we're due a good blast at some point ? or am I just getting greedy?biggrin.gif

Posted

It's pure torture reading this thread. :o Not even half a centimetre here and not even feeling that cold although temp is currently 0c. Yet my parents just by Mcr Airport keep sending me text messages with images attached of the pasting they have got so far!

So glad for everyone else though, but I have to admit I'm just a tad envious...

Posted

Still had no snow here for hours.... Im sick of waiting. :o

Posted

Still holding out for another heavy burst of snow, but just a few dribs & drabs over past few

hours. Just taken a few pics out over the back fields from the comfort of the kitchen. Its

bin collection day here, but as you can see, they aint been emptied, darn Oldham Council!!

post-3616-12626871319925_thumb.jpg

post-3616-12626871483925_thumb.jpg

post-3616-12626871644925_thumb.jpg

Posted

1.7c?!

0.2c here and im closer to the coast!

Sky looks VERY dark to my north.

I know, it is always warmer here than the surrounding areas. I am in a valley that opens on to the West Lancs Plain, which brobably isnt higher than 10m above sea level. Any Westerly component to the wind and I am usually screwed for snow. Luck is on my side today though :aggressive:

Posted

ooohh have you got some upgrades?

No sorry just getting a bit excited haha. Just keeping an eye on them showers from Newcastle coming down here. Seem to have plenty in them.