Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I can't be absolutely sure but it now seems this snow band is heading more westwards rather than south westwards...not good..though even if this is the case there is still quite a bit to the east to come.

How convient it now decides to move westwards..I could be wrong tho, and it might still be heading south to fill the mersey.

post-8049-12626927354925_thumb.png

Posted

just woke up to a nice scene in Preston.. Nice covering everywhere, but sister who works in Bolton tells me its nothing compared to the snow they've had in Bolton!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

I can't be absolutely sure but it now seems this snow band is heading more westwards rather than south westwards...not good..though even if this is the case there is still quite a bit to the east to come.

How convient it now decides to move westwards..I could be wrong tho, and it might still be heading south to fill the mersey.

looking like its moving VERY slowly South west or even SSW.

wish to be in bristol tonight with the snow under a red warning by METO

Posted

You could be right, it probably looks more westwards because of how slow its suddenly become

they will prolly end up with 1cm and the s coast with 2cm max lol but since its the south lets ramp it up lol

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

They surely cant get any more than some have had up here - I mean a foot of level snow!

We must have 7 or 8 inches here even.

Posted

You could be right, it probably looks more westwards because of how slow its suddenly become

they will prolly end up with 1cm and the s coast with 2cm max lol but since its the south lets ramp it up lol

It's literally just stuck, not moving anywhere, mostly deteriorating, but changing in pulses

Posted

Manchester seems to be sitting under that dry patch!

Light snow has come in now from the east, but nothing significant.

Karyo

Posted

They surely cant get any more than some have had up here - I mean a foot of level snow!

We must have 7 or 8 inches here even.

BBC forecast at midday said maybe a foot and a half of snow down there, so it must be due to intensify.

Posted

Been snowing here since 6am ish. Still snowing lightly now. I'd say it's getting towards 2 inches. Nothing like the pre Christmas depths but nice all the same.

Yup, though can't help but get the feeling that we've missed out on this ocassion a little, compared to some of our neigbours!

Posted

I think that's just the perception from the radar as the air circulates around the low.

Quick illustration showing where stuff is just now based on http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop - worth watching the live animation here to get a better feel for just what has happened above the region in the last few hours.

post-7977-12626931381625_thumb.gif

Edited by wysiwyg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Snow getting thicker and heavier once again - this snowfall is the most extreme I have ever seen it in Southport. We already have 8-10cm, how much better (or worse now) can it get!! People in Cent S England should be really concerned for tomorrow.

Edited by chris93

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

temp rose to -1.6c and now fallen back to -2.0c only a couple of hours of heating left.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

It's literally just stuck, not moving anywhere, mostly deteriorating, but changing in pulses

What the hell is going on with it? It's going to have to move fast if it's going to hit the south as forecast. Lets hope it intensifies ready for south Cheshire, you lot have had enough now :)

Aaron

Posted

I just ran the animation for the last 4 hours, its still heading in my direction it's just literally slowed right down, however the southern part of the band to the east as deteriated, but more cloud as spilled in to fill the biggish gap that was left.

Posted

1 Killed in Manchester as 2 lorries collided on the M6. BBC reporting that the emergency services are now only being dispatched in the Manchester region as a "last resort" due to the demand and severity of the road conditions.

Posted

I think the reason for the stalling is the cut off of the moist air from the SW and the very very cold air digging in from the NE, as the switch happens, the band is probably just 'swirling' then will head S or SW later.

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

worth watching the live animation here to get a better feel for just what has happened above the region in the last few hours.

If you look at the visible you can see the high clouds being generated.

I just ran the animation for the last 4 hours, its still heading in my direction it's just literally slowed right down, however the southern part of the band to the east as deteriated, but more cloud as spilled in to fill the biggish gap that was left.

173 posts in 24 hours :yahoo:

Posted

I think that's just the perception from the radar as the air circulates around the low.

Quick illustration showing where stuff is just now based on http://www.sat24.com...at=ir&type=loop - worth watching the live animation here to get a better feel for just what has happened above the region in the last few hours.

Thanks for this, just started to snow again with bigger flakes. I should imagine in the next hour two that snow band will hit us head on provide the proper heavier snow

Posted

Lets hope it intensifies ready for south Cheshire, you lot have had enough now :good:

Aaron

LOL couldn't have put it better myself

Looking a little darker here but it looks like it's going to rain!

Edited by Louise

Posted

1 Killed in Manchester as 2 lorries collided on the M6. BBC reporting that the emergency services are now only being dispatched in the Manchester region as a "last resort" due to the demand and severity of the road conditions.

I read somewhere before that the emergency services had asked to only call if severe emergency or crime in progress.